Smoothie Recipe Ideas?

Options
beckye93
beckye93 Posts: 27 Member
So I have a magic bullet, and I really wanna start making smoothies with it for breakfast. I don't like yogurt, but I do like oranges, lemons, limes, apples, pears, grapes, pinapple, bananas and peaches. Every smoothie I've made comes out awful, and theirs always bits of the fruit I put in it, and that weirds me out..and anything I put banana in just comes out tasting like banana. Ideas please!

Also any other quick breakfast ideas would be nice. The special K breakfast things are yummy, too.

Replies

• anvacarz_again
    Options
    My bfast most mornings:

Vanilla protein powder
    1 cup Almond Milk
    1 frozen banana
    1 tbl peanut butter
    Ice

Super creamy and delicious!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My bfast most mornings:

Vanilla protein powder
    1 cup Almond Milk
    1 frozen banana
    1 tbl peanut butter
    Ice

Super creamy and delicious!
    sounds great!!!:drinker:
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I make mine with 1/2 c strawberries, 1/4 c raspberries, 1/8 scoop of protein, 1 c light soy milk and 1/4 c yogurt. You don't have to put the yogurt in, I just like the vanilla flavor and the yogurt makes it creamier/sweeter :)
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've always really liked the

pineapple
    Blueberry
    Ginger, which gives it a slight zing.
    (liquid base) Blueberry green tea (relatively cheap at Trader Joes) [ you can also use your own fruit type tea]

You can add some kale or spinach and you'll get nutrition benefit and will not even taste it.
    Other good additives that will give good benefits and not affect flavor much (unless you use flavored protein) is:
    protein powder
    ground flax seed
    chia seed
  • suska007
    suska007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I made a smoothie yesterday that was really good!

Apricots - Frozen, Unsweetened, 97g (I froze them myself) =grabbed a handful
    Oranges - Raw, navels, 148g =1 medium orange peeled
    Spinach - Raw, 24g =grabbed a handful
    Strawberries - Frozen, unsweetened, 78g (I froze them myself) =grabbed a handful
    Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, year round average, 90g =1 roma tomato

It is a horrible looking smoothie (think split pea soup) but tasted phenomenal! I am out of protein powder currently, but would have added it had I had some.

I added the orange first and pureed it to make a juice, then added the spinach and tomato and pureed that. Then I added the frozen apricots and strawberries.

For these exact amounts that I weighed using my kitchen scale, it came out to:
    Calories: 169
    Carbs: 42
    Fat: 0
    Protein: 4
    Sugar: 28
    Fiber: 9

The sugar is high, but there is a lot of fiber to combat that. The only thing I didn't like was that the protein was low, but like I said, I would have added a scoop of vanilla protein powder.
  • suska007
    Options
    You can add some kale or spinach and you'll get nutrition benefit and will not even taste it.
    Other good additives that will give good benefits and not affect flavor much (unless you use flavored protein) is:
    protein powder
    ground flax seed
    chia seed

YES! I also like to add ground flax meal, coconut flour will thicken real fast, or chia seeds. They all add a lot of fiber!
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite smoothie

1/2 cup frozen raspberries (the raspberries are mandatory)
    1/2 cup frozen peaches or cherries
    1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries or strawberries
    1/2 cup stirred organic yogurt (Sometimes I use almond milk, coconut milk or 1% milk)
    3/4 water
    1 tablespoon chia seeds
    1 scoop Kaizen - Natural Whey Protein - Natural Vanilla Bean
    Optional (2 tsp Benefiber for extra fiber)

Makes a great breakfast and I get 3 servings of fruit in it. Looks like and tastes like a milkshake.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    No Bake Cookie Smoothie (my very own creation!)
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Pure Protein, found at Walmart)
    1 or 2 tbsp peanut butter or PB2
    2 tbsp SF vanilla coffee syrup (I use Torani)
    3/4 cup milk (any kind)
    20g old fashion oats
    lots of ice!

Blend'er up and stick a straw in it!
  • rainunrefined
    Options
    3/4 cup milk (any kind)
    20g old fashion oats
    lots of ice!

PS. you can add spinach (20-25g) to this for added nutrients and you can't taste it, just changes the color a bit.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My usual one:
    Frozen strawberries
    banana
    sometimes other fruit that I have, esp Blueberries
    a tiny bit of orange juice
    honey for sweetness
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    My base for my smoothies is unsweetened Almond milk and a couple of TBS of Chobani greek yogurt/Fage (I really don't think you can actually taste it), a TBS of Chia Seeds, and add fruit/spinach or whatever I want to taste. There are some great selections of frozen fruits at most stores and if you buy a medley you could add less or more for whatever taste you want.

I believe Skinny Ms has a large variety of smoothie recipes.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    3/4 cup milk (any kind)
    20g old fashion oats
    lots of ice!

PS. you can add spinach (20-25g) to this for added nutrients and you can't taste it, just changes the color a bit.

Do you add spinach raw or cooked? I've been thinking about trying it but scared lol!! Also my blender isnt amazing all the time so I'm nervous to put it in there then have stringy spinach in my yummy smoothie lol!
  • suska007
    Options
    Do you add spinach raw or cooked? I've been thinking about trying it but scared lol!! Also my blender isnt amazing all the time so I'm nervous to put it in there then have stringy spinach in my yummy smoothie lol!

Raw spinach. Do not be scared. If you just add a handful (20-25g) you definitely will not taste it. Like the one pal said, it will change the color, not the taste.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Half a banana, because I think you're right everything taste like banana with a banana.
    A cup of frozen mixed berries.
    Then, generally, whatever fruits are about. Cantaloupe is really good with it.
    And though it's probably not good for a breakfast smoothie about a fourth cup of low-fat pineapple sherbet.
    When I have it I add some greens in. I don't taste it, does add a texture though.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Just had a green smoothie for supper tonight :)

1/2 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt (you cannot taste this but it makes it creamy)
    1cup water
    handful of ice cubes
    four kale leaves (I take off the leafy parts but don't put in the middle stem thing lol)
    handful of spinach leaves
    1tbsp raw honey
    4 largish strawberries
    1 medium banana

Filled a 24 ounce cup and was liquidy enough to drink with a straw :)
  • rainunrefined
    Options

Raw spinach. Do not be scared. If you just add a handful (20-25g) you definitely will not taste it. Like the one pal said, it will change the color, not the taste.

yeah ditto, totally raw!
  • mghuss
    mghuss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had a good "power smoothie" today...

1 small banana, frozen
    1 c frozen blueberries
    1 c unsweetened almond milk (or 1/2 c nonfat greek yogurt, but don't freeze the banana then)
    1 small handful spinach (or kale)
    1 T flaxseed (I used whole but that's a personal preference)

You might have to make this a bit smaller for a bullet, I made this in an Oster MyBlend and it filled the whole bottle.

On your note about bananas overpowering the taste- adding a handful of kale or spinach takes away some of that sweetness. And vice-versa, you can easily mask the bitterness of the greens by using bananas. :)
  • lanajaymurphy
    Options
    I just posted this exact topic in recipes! I'll have to ditch mine and take notes here :)
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I make a mocha smoothie!
    1 tbs instant coffee
    1 tbs unsweetened cocoa
    2 scoops of vanilla protein powder
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1-2 packets of sweetener (I can't take the bitterness and am watching my sugar levels)
    6-7 ice cubes (i like my frappy)
    Blend! YUMMY!
    Switch out the coffee for Peanut butter, oooohhhh, good!
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    handful of spinach + mixed berries (frozen) 1 cup + 1 cup almond milk + greek yogurt or one scoop protein powder + 1 stevia
    sometimes I add a tbsp. of unsweetened special dark cocoa powder, like a chocolate berry milkshake yumm!

or 1/2 cup frozen mango + 1/2 cup frozen pineapple + 1/4 cup coconut milk + kale or spinach (few handfuls) + 1/8 cup fresh sqeezed orange juice + 1 tbsp. honey

OR frozen banana + almond milk + cocoa powder (+ stevia if u need a little more sweetness) for chocolate "smoothie"