Mentsrual Weight Gain

Options
I know that you gain weight during your menstrual week, but how soon does it start to gain? For example, I started today(spotting), and about 3 days ago I had gain 2-3 pounds... I was worried I messed up something, and felt plumper. But then I realized I've started sooner than I was supposed to(scheduled for 4 days later), so maybe it's the gain from my period?

So just wondering how soon and for how long does the weight gain happen during your menstrual(I average 5-7 days, with spotting the last two) , and whether to weigh-in during this time?

If not, then I'll have to adjust my last weigh-in.

Thanx!!!

Replies

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I know that you gain weight during your menstrual week, but how soon does it start to gain? For example, I started today(spotting), and about 3 days ago I had gain 2-3 pounds... I was worried I messed up something, and felt plumper. But then I realized I've started sooner than I was supposed to(scheduled for 4 days later), so maybe it's the gain from my period?

So just wondering how soon and for how long does the weight gain happen during your menstrual(I average 5-7 days, with spotting the last two) , and whether to weigh-in during this time?

If not, then I'll have to adjust my last weigh-in.

Thanx!!!

It varies from person to person however, seeing as to how it is only your own you would be bothered about, what may be a good idea for you to do would be to record it down and over the next two to three months you will see your own pattern emerge and so be able to prepare and not be disheartened by sudden weight gain at those times.

Bear in mind too, that the weight does drop straight off again afterwards, as long as you stick to your eating plan x
  • RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i gain a good 7-12 lbs during my period. all of a sudden one day (could be up to a week before) i wake up 7lbs heavier...then the rest creeps on until its all over. It really is awful because i feel gross, and annoyed with it. I was taking water pills but then i needed to start taking pain emds for my cramps and the combo of drugs is severe for stomach ulcers...i am positive my weight gain is all water though...
    so ya everyone is different, either way it sucks lol
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I gain anything from 3 to 7lbs of water weight just before my period, usually starting the gain 3-4 days before it starts and it then takes 2-3 days after it finishes to all disapear. I'm used to tracking my cycles as I used tracking to help me get pregnant a few years ago and I noticed this pattern then. So tracking your cycles for a little while is a great idea.
  • Callmefia
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't get discouraged by it!
    My last cycle, I stayed the same as the week before, but a few days later I was down 3lbs.

I've always been told to drink lots of water during, and leafy green veggies help too - Both help reduce bloating and cramping.
  • bmayes
    bmayes Posts: 55
    Options
    I have this problem now. I KNEW I should not have stepped on the scale because it honestly did discourage me. It looks like I've gained 2-3lbs. I have been eating well (I need to watch my sugar intake) and exercising regularly so this really set me back this a.m. Its HARD for me to lose 2-3lbs. Glad to see other ladies agreeing that THIS TOO SHALL PASS! ugggh
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up my first week with MFP and my period is this week. It is discouraging because I feel like I should have a bigger first week loss and everyday since Saturday I have been getting on the scale (official weigh in is Wednesdays) and I keep going up not down! I know it has to be my period b/c I have not consumed enough calories for it to be fat! It is discouraging though. That's why they call it the curse. haha
  • SashaPalacio
    Options
    Wow! A lot of great replies and fellow sufferers =) That's good to know we all understand it's just something that happens and to push through. Thank you all for the advice and stories, I'll keep on working towards my goal and continue eating and exercising!

This thread can still be used for any others with questions or stories of food for thought =) Thanx again! And I'll check in often.

~Sasha Palacio
  • dmbutler9
    Options
    okay, so tomorrow when I weigh myself for the first time here, I'll be prepared...
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My first weigh in was good but not true so I'm a little disappointed. I lost 3.9 pounds weighing in at 226, which is great, but discouraging at the same time because when I started last Wed the weight was falling off (weighing sell every morning). Over the weekend I was down to 223! Then the water weight from my period started kicking in and every day since Sunday I have been slowly gaining weight. : I didn't even get my period yet (due any day)! I look at my diary and it HAS to be water weight! It better be water weight!! haha