Can anyone offer a little insight?

Options
Long story as short as possible: I'm a MFP drop-out who has returned. First time around, I did a few minutes of exercise each day and usually burned just around 100-200 calories. I also watched my portion sizes, but I wasn't too bothered if I went over calorie goals. In my defense, I never went over by 1,000 calories or anything extreme like that. 100-200 at the most, and it wasn't often. But when I did, it was no big deal. I ended up losing 10 lbs in a short time, but then I got sick and couldn't exercise for about a week. And then we traveled. And the excuses kept coming. And then my motivation just went kaput. I gained back that 10 lbs and then a little more, all because my oversized derierre is so doggone comfy to sit on..

I came back to MFP about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I've given it 110% This time, I'm sticking to the calorie goals. I'm having healthier snacks. And even though my "exercise goal" is still just 15 minutes/day, I've been going an extra mile (literally!) and doing 2-4 miles on the treadmill every morning at about 3.2-3.5 mph at an incline of 8-10. I feel great. I have more energy. I'm more determined and consistent than ever. .....so how have I actually GAINED 7 lbs in about 2 and a half weeks? I'm determined to stick with it this time, but I'm getting really discouraged.

I'm doing my best in all areas (food, exercise, attitude). But how am I not losing ANYTHING? My usual excuse (TOM) isn't an issue right now. I'm not pregnant (I hope!). I'm working out every morning. I'm watching my calories. I'm eating healthier. I just don't understand why I'm gaining instead of losing.

I know that as you build muscle, it increases your weight, even though you're losing fat. But my clothes still fit me the same (some even tighter!) so I don't think I'm losing inches. My husband says he can see a difference in my thighs, shoulders, and tummy, but I just don't see it. And I'm not the type of girl to downplay my weight loss. I'm willing and able (and proud!) to acknowledge the differences in my body when I've worked hard for it. If my big toe looks skinnier than yesterday, I'll shout it from the rooftops! But I'm not noticing any differences in my body. So now I'm actually trying harder this time around, but getting no results.

I am happy that I'm taking care of myself. I'm thankful for the boost in energy and just generally feeling good each day. So I'm not about to stop exercising or drown my sorrows in junk food. I intend to keep up my healthier habits for the long haul. But, as much as I hate to admit it, the increasing numbers on the scale are really bumming me out. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this common? Am I just being too impatient after fast results last time? Could I really have gained 7 lbs of muscle?

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Can certainly understand why you are discouraged and I don't really have any answers for you. I just wanted to encourage you to keep working out and keep eating healthy, because if you are, you WILL lose weight. My only thoughts are to take a look at your sodium and sugar intake. Your diary is not public so I couldn't see what you consider to be healthy eating. I firmly believe that if you can give up white flour and white sugar whenever possible that you are doing yourself a favor and I know I saw better results because of that choice on my part. Kudos to you for your efforts! Keep it up!
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I would say taht if before you were exercising less adn eating abit more, but losing...you were in the right calorie range! Now, you may be eating too little for the extra that you are doing. As strange as it seems, try adding 100 to 200 calories to your daily intake and give that a week. It could be just what you need!
    If you're not eating enough, your body is in "starvation" mode and holding on to everything you eat. If you give it a bit more to work with to fuel all your activity, it'll let go of the fat much easier!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    A few things some people don't pay enough attention to, other than food/exercise:

-Are you drinking enough water?
    -Are you getting enough sleep?
    -How are your sodium levels?
    -Are you eating ENOUGH food?

It takes a bit of time to build muscle (and many people experienced in muscle building say that you can't do that when you're restricting calories, anyways) - so chances are, you may be retaining water (which could happen due to not enough water being consumed or too high of salt levels). I've also heard that when you initially start working out and aren't used to it, muscles retain more water (I don't know the specifics behind why).

Other than that, I would just recommend you stick to it. Eventually you'll see results. Sometimes it requires an 'adjustment period' that varies from person to person before they really start seeing the fruits of their labor. You can do it - just don't give up!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have had the same thing happen to me before... and the only explanation is "sometimes that just happens". If your husband is noticing a difference in you, he's probably seeing that you are more toned and defined. This would mean exactly what you said- that you are gaining muscle while also losing weight, which would be a discouragement on the scale. It may also be discouraging to see that your clothes are not getting bigger (and some even tighter) which is why a lot of people I have been friends with via weight loss sites, etc. eventually fall off the wagon.

The best advice that I can give you is to remember that you didn't get at the weight you are now overnight, nor is it likely that you got there in 2-3 weeks. The weight will come off if you are sticking to it, it may just take a little longer for you than it may for others.

Also, have you taken a look at your salt, soda, or grain intake? When I experiencing the same issues a while back, a nutritionist told me to evaluate my salt, soda, & grain. Turns out I was having a lot of salt that I wasn't really aware of.

Just remember to stick to it! Image how fabulous the rewards will be in the end!
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Your hubby says he sees a difference in inches, well how about doing some measurements? Clothes can fit different on different days so don't make that the conclusion. Take out an acutal tape measureer and measure you. Then you have numbers to compare, not just I think. Sometimes you can see a difference in the inches way before you see a change in the scale.

I guess the best thing to remember is that it takes time. For me, and assuming for you, it took years to put the weight on, give yourself more than just 2.5 weeks to see a difference. You say you feel so much better, well for now let that be a guide for the future. Keep exercising, Keep counting calories, don't get discouraged. It's so much easier to say I can't if you are discouraged... then I can't becomes whatever and the next thing you know you are even heavier.

You can do this!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    As you work out more, your muscles hold onto water to help them recover. Make sure you're drinking enough and getting enough protein and you should lose the 7 lbs.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    PS- I'm glad others mentioned this as well, but I was going to recommend you take a look at your calorie intake because you may not be getting enough food. A previous poster is right when she said that your body can go into "starvation" mode and keep hold of those nutrients/fats/etc that your body is seeking. =)
  • sativo8339
    sativo8339 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I started in earnest a few months ago, I went to the YMCA and talked with a trainer. Apparently I get 4 free visits and posed the question to him about this problem. I too wanted to lose weight, but I didn't want to be a pile of jello that just weighed less..

He told me that in order to gain muscle, you have to eat MORE and to lose weight you have to eat LESS. Body builders supplement themselves with extra calories many times a day to gain mass. Where as our overweight selves have to go into calorie deficit to lose mass. Fat doesn't turn into muscle, so basicly we are doomed! HA Although the light at the end of the tunnel is that weight training burns calories! You just won't see the building of muscle becuase you are in caloric deficit.

The trainer tells me to keep lifting the weights but make cardio the priority. Muscles will build, but it will be very slow when you are losing weight.

I would not get discouraged at all.. I think it's great that you are adding extra miles.. the more your body gets used to buring every day the more calories it can burn even at rest! Keep up the good work, and DO NOT give up. Make smaller goals along the way and don't forget to reward yourself every now and then by being BAD!!!!! HA
  • e_nicole_s
    e_nicole_s Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement, everyone! :smile:

As far as my calories, I usually reach my calorie goal of 1,890 each day. When I'm under, it's usually by only 100-200 and I'm too full to eat just for the sake of eating up those last few exercise calories. And when I go over (only a couple of times so far) it's been only by 100 calories or less. I do make sure to eat my exercise calories each day. As far as sodium, I'm always careful about that and never really add extra salt to my food. I do have low blood pressure, so my doctor recommends more sodium, but I usually don't bother. We usually have fresh foods, too, so we don't have to worry about pre-packaged foods packed with sodium. For sugar, I make sure that I plan my day well enough to allow a small snack when I want it (by that, I mean a few hersheys kisses or something small). I usually have a sugar-free and fat-free 60 calorie pudding if I need a big chocolate fix. But most of my sugars usually come from my fruit intake. If I go over recommended sugar on MFP, it's always because of fruit. I'm drinking water constantly (especially because I live in Southern California with NO AIR CONDITIONING! Yikes!). I don't usually drink sugary drinks. No soda in the home. So it's mostly water, 1% milk, or fruit juices. I buy whole wheat whenever possible, including pastas. I eat lots of proteins (chicken, tuna, etc.). So as far as I can tell, I'm making better food choices and coupling that with more exercise. I feel the results of these choices, even though I'm not seeing them yet.

I'll definitely be sticking with it, simply because I *feel* better. I'm not obsessed with dropping the weight, although I know that's necessary to truly be "healthier". I just want to have healthier eating habits and exercise more. I know everything else will fall into place. After seeing these results, though, I was concerned that maybe I was doing something wrong that would lead to even more weight gain. And while I know adding muscle will show on the scale, I didn't want to be 20 lbs heavier saying, "Oh, it's ok. I'm just building muscle." ...the last thing I need is even more excuses! :tongue:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I call it the bodies "WTF" mode. Your body is used to a certain level of activity (or inactivity) and caloric intake. It is happy there, it don't want to change. If you made changes in your recent history (6 months or so) and lost some weight, but then went back to bad habits shortly after starting, your body remembers. It figures if it gets stubborn enough about dropping the weight you will just give up like you did last time. It is comfortable there, happy, life is good, why mess it up?

"WTF" is just a bit different than a plateau in my opinion. The "WTF" happens shortly after you start to change your habits. It seems the shorter the time between the current change and the last attempt the sooner your body says "WTF are you doing?" and comes to a full stop. The plateau to me is when your body has gotten used to the changes and has to play catch up internally to reset itself to the new activity and caloric intake. Then you change up either (or both) the activity level or caloric intake to "break" the plateau.

My body hit the "WTF" button this week. This is my week 4. I did good weeks 1-3. I bumped up my cals this week (from 1200 to 1400) in hopes of avoiding the cycle. This is also the week before TOM. So far I am holding. We shall see what happens next week when I take the cals back down.

Keep up the hard work! It will pay off!
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me. I lost almost 50 pounds two years ago, and have put back almost 15. I have worked out diligently for ten days, and have been under my calorie goal, but my weight has not changed. It went up, and then back down to the start weight. It is definitely a 'wtf' reaction. I just keep waiting for my body to go, "wtf, I give up,' and to give up a few pounds. It will happen.