toning up - advice please

Options
back in january 2011 i weighed 355 lb. i lost 84, stopped tracking and exercising after a year and gained 28 of them back. january this year i started again as i refused to buy a bigger pair of jeans. fast forward to today and i am over 10 stone (140 lbs) lighter than i was back then due to tracking and exercise

my body has wobbly bits, some more than others. my tum has surprised me by not looking that bad. the areas i want to concentrate on are: my inner thighs and bingo wings. the muscle in both is okay but the flab is there if that makes sense

can someone advise me as to what exercises i need to be doing to get them toned

ta muchly

Replies

• HS2305
    HS2305 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has helped me tone up my bingo wings is Pilates. Maybe give that a try?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as either "toning" or "spot reduction". Here's a great read with some very good information and advice (if you can stand the occasional strong language):

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

Disclaimer: Not my website and I have no interest in it other than the fact that it's a good/helpful article.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    love it. what is a bingo wing? Can I eat that at name_your_disgusting_american_family_restaurant?

Seriously, keep doing what you're doing, lift some weights on days that you don't do cardio, rinse repeat. That's how you "tone." Check out Nia Shanks online. She rocks, and that is all.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Is it loose skin? Because that just takes time to tone.

I would start lifting- its great and tones your entire body.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    "ta muchly"? Wtf? Is that even English?

I'm being dead serious...
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    is it loose skin? cause there is no such thing as toning loose skin. its organ tissue. there is some stretch than may recede a bit, but its nothing exercise or diet can really influence. and the longer you were big, the more permanent that loose skin will be. only option is surgury if it doesnt fix itself with time
  • wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    it is loose skin so i guess there is not a lot i can with it

ta muchly is northern english :-)
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ta muchly is Thank you very much.
    :flowerforyou:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Tricep exercises - hold your elbows back as far as you can with a water bottle (or weigh) in each hand. Slowly straighten your arms (without locking elbows) and bring back, repeat until tired/bored.

This is one on Rosemary Conley DVDs which I really find useful - you can also do it lying down (lie on back, elbows in air, hands towards sholders, straighten and return). It will target the muscle and 9eventually) improve the look of your arms. But it needs to be combined with ongoing weight loss.

If its loose skin - one of the ladies in my Zumba class has a similar problem. Building the muscle might fill it up a bit, but otherise its surgery. Or long-sleeved tops.:ohwell:

ETA - anyone with a good way of targeting that soft bit on the upper inner thigh? (Not spot reducing :tongue: , toning).