What is the right weight for someone at 5'7?

Options

Replies

• lauren_gibbons
    lauren_gibbons Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and 140lbs, UK size 8 - 10, mainly 10 but have come across some pieces of clothing that are too big and had to buy a 8.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the scales says just stop when you feel that you are happy with your body and look the way you want to.
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm just short of 46, am 5'7" and weigh 129. Around 20 I was 115. We all carry weight differently but if you make your goal to 'look' and be healthy you'll be fine. Bone structure is another thing to consider and I'm very small. You just may find once you achieve your goal that you want another. Example, mine was to be 130. Achieved that and now I want to lose more bodyfat (currently 18.2%) and build more muscles. I'd love at least a 2 pack. Weight isn't much of a concern, though I know losing more fat will cause me to lose more since I have a hard time building muscle.

Jamie Eason had on her facebook page pictures of women who all weighed the same yet looked so different. A great example for you to look up if you have the chance. Basically, it doesn't matter what we all say as long as you are happy with you and are healthy.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    What would you say would be a good weight for me to be?

I think it depends on your frame, your muscles, etc.. I remember a long time ago someone saying if you are 5 feet tall you should be 100 pounds, and add 5 pounds for every inch :) That's obviously not a scientific measurement!

I don't think anyone can tell you, you'll just know when you get there.

you're right, and it's not only not scientific, it's a potentially dangerous target for all women who have average or larger than average frames. It's a good target for small framed women only.

body fat percentage is much better, i.e. get it measured reliably and base your goal weight on that, while losing fat slowly to make sure it's just fat you're losing and not muscle: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

That makes the target for a woman of 5'7" 135. That is not "potentially dangerous" no matter what your "frame," It's pretty spot on healthy.

really, it's healthy? I'm 5'1", 130lb, and my lean body mass is 101 lb, please explain to me how I could possibly be healthy at 105lb?

2% body fat is unattainable for anyone, even male bodybuilders on steroids can't get below 3% body fat. Essential body fat in women is 12-13%. The only way I can get to 105lb is by starving off about 20lb of lean body mass. If my lean body mass was 81lb, then I could be 105lb at a healthy body fat percentage. But how is it possibly healthy for me to starve off 20lb of lean body mass?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

I think it depends on your frame, your muscles, etc.. I remember a long time ago someone saying if you are 5 feet tall you should be 100 pounds, and add 5 pounds for every inch :) That's obviously not a scientific measurement!

you're right, and it's not only not scientific, it's a potentially dangerous target for all women who have average or larger than average frames. It's a good target for small framed women only.

body fat percentage is much better, i.e. get it measured reliably and base your goal weight on that, while losing fat slowly to make sure it's just fat you're losing and not muscle: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

That makes the target for a woman of 5'7" 135. That is not "potentially dangerous" no matter what your "frame," It's pretty spot on healthy.

really, it's healthy? I'm 5'1", 130lb, and my lean body mass is 101 lb, please explain to me how I could possibly be healthy at 105lb?

2% body fat is unattainable for anyone, even male bodybuilders on steroids can't get below 3% body fat. Essential body fat in women is 12-13%. The only way I can get to 105lb is by starving off about 20lb of lean body mass. If my lean body mass was 81lb, then I could be 105lb at a healthy body fat percentage. But how is it possibly healthy for me to starve off 20lb of lean body mass?

Explanation: your calculations are wrong. AND it's quite easy to lose lean body mass where that lbm is the result of intentionally putting it on.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far! I think 140 is a good goal and I'd just keep doing what you've been doing and adjust your goal as you get there. I strongly suggest that you look into lifting weights or some kind of resistance training to maintain lean body mass. You can always resume your weight loss or try to gain if your maintenance is not what you ultimately want. I am 5'-6.5" and about 125 lb. I'm working on building muscle more than losing fat at this point and expect that my weight will increase with muscle gain. "Ideal weight" can vary a lot depending on build. For some my height, my weight would be quite thin.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It depends on yourself. For me personally, I'm 5"7' too and I've always dreamed of wearing a bandage crop bra top with a neon skirt. Sounds a bit slutty I know, but thats the goal. Reckon I need to be a size 0-2 for that. So ideally, my goal will be 110-115 pounds. Of course you don't want to just do cardio and have a flat bum. I'm currently doing 100-150 squats a day.

Ps: I'm referring to this outfit.
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bandage+crop+top&hl=en-GB&espv=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sboxchip=Images&sa=X&ei=lTi4UebKFs_VkAWZsYCoBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=504#biv=i|50;d|TfsU1SIChhP8PM:

I'm aso 5'7", I'm at 137 right now and I'm a size 2 and can get away with wearing that with no shame! You don't necessarily have to weight 110-115 to be a 2. I also have a good amount of muscle though :)

Keep up with the squats!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It will vary a lot based on your muscle mass and body shape. A lot of women who lift weights find that they are smaller and look better than they were at a lighter weight. I love this example:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

There is also a cool website mybodygallery.com where you can enter a height, weight and body shape and see self-submitted photos of lots of women.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Explanation: your calculations are wrong. AND it's quite easy to lose lean body mass where that lbm is the result of intentionally putting it on.

my calculations are not wrong. Even with a 5% error margin, my lean body mass would be somewhere between 96 and 106lb, and no matter how you look it it, I can't possibly be healthy at 105lb. I have measured my body fat percentage four different ways, and come up with very similar figures each time. Also, my ribs stick out and I have muscle definition in my upper body, arms and legs. So I really truly do have a healthy body fat percentage at 130lb, and a high lean body mass for my height.

I didn't intentionally put on any lean body mass, other than 1-2lb. This is my natural build. I'm the same as my parents, incidentally, my dad more so than my mum. He is only 5'6" and heavily built, and as a young man was stronger than many men of 6' (he's now an old man in his 60s but still pretty strong). And I'm not a freak of nature, there are many other women and men with a similar build to me. 105lb is not even a reasonable weight target for an average build woman of my height. the healthy BMI range for my height is 100-132, which I am actually within (only just). I'd still be a healthy body fat percentage in the overweight range, as would many people, either due to their natural build or due to being athletic, or both.

additionally, losing lean body mass is bad for your health. You lose bone density along with it, which increases the risk of osteoporosis. I can assure you that losing 20lb of lean body mass, at least 18lb of which wasn't the result of "deliberately putting on lean body mass" (I'm not even sure a woman can put on that much lean body mass anyway) is not remotely healthy. But go on and continue to encourage women to try to reach weights that are totally unhealthy for them.....

do you really think that all humans are identical in terms of things like width of shoulders, rib cage, limb proportions etc? You really think that height is the only variable that affects how heavy someone is?
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Im 5'8 and weight 139 and i am small, but lean. It depends on the person and their natural build.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7", and I am shooting for 160 lbs. I am highly muscled in my legs, and rump. My shoulders are wide so I feel like this is a good weight for me, personally. Also, after my son was born I was 180, and pretty dang happy with my frame, except for that 20 lbs. around my middle. I want to see me once in my life at that weight. Who knows I might change my mind when I get there.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    everyone is different. I'm 5'7" and right now my goal weight is 165 then I will see if I decide to go down further from there or not. You have to remember that everyone is different we have different body types. Some people have small frames and will not weigh as much, some people have larger frames and will weigh more. You need to decide what is right for you and if you are unsure about that I would ask your DR what they think your goal weight should be.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    everyone is different. I'm 5'7" and right now my goal weight is 165 then I will see if I decide to go down further from there or not. You have to remember that everyone is different we have different body types. Some people have small frames and will not weigh as much, some people have larger frames and will weigh more. You need to decide what is right for you and if you are unsure about that I would ask your DR what they think your goal weight should be.

^^^ this
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm just shy of 5'7" and i'm between 125-128, which I feel is perfect for me. BF is around 23% and I mostly wear a size 4 now. But i"m a lot older than you. You could probably get to that weight and have much lower BF. Also, I'm quite small-boned -- my wrists are like a 10-year-old. But wherever you feel good is what's best for you, so long as you are in a healthy range and are eating well and healthfully.
  • mdcnwolf
    mdcnwolf Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8.5 and my goal is 140-145. This all depends on your bone structure and that also. I have a large bone structure so I was told no lower then 140. But 150 would be best. I would think between 125-140 is great for 5'7. Just have to go by what feels good to you, your energy level and that. Also remember that we "girls" tend to lose 5-10 lbs when sick and that makes getting well take a TON longer if you are too slight in the beginning.
    Good luck.
  • sjkcwatson
    sjkcwatson Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and just hit my goal weight yesterday of 125 and am very comfortable here + or - a few since fluctuation is normal. I have a small frame though. Too much more would be too thin- if I start putting on muscle (my next goal) then 130-135 would be about right.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

YEP, calculations are wrong

MOST 5'0 women look FINE and are perfectly healthy at 100 lbs... in fact thats a BMI of 19.5 which is SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE of the acceptable range... a 5'0" woman could go as low as 95 pounds and NOT be underweight

at 5'1, 130 lbs, BMI is 24.6 which is pretty close to being overweight....
    now BMI is not the end all, be all...HOWEVER I find it hard to believe that someone at 5'1 has 101 lbs of lean body mass.... those calculations mentioned above are dead wrong
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

YEP, calculations are wrong

MOST 5'0 women look FINE and are perfectly healthy at 100 lbs... in fact thats a BMI of 19.5 which is SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE of the acceptable range... a 5'0" woman could go as low as 95 pounds and NOT be underweight

at 5'1, 130 lbs, BMI is 24.6 which is pretty close to being overweight....
    now BMI is not the end all, be all...HOWEVER I find it hard to believe that someone at 5'1 has 101 lbs of lean body mass.... those calculations mentioned above are dead wrong

Actually 19.5 is near the low end of the acceptable range. 24.6 is near the high end, but is still within the acceptable range. I'd look pudgy at Neandermagnon's weight and I'm 6" taller than she is, but I'm also a 60 year old tiny framed, stringy muscled ectomorph. There is no one BMI that would be good for both of us.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I think for a 20 year old 5'7 and 125 looks average
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb for a woman is for 5ft its 100lbs and then 5lbs for every inch.. so not including muscles 135lbs is good. I think on a fit
    woman who is ripped 140 would be perfect,
    if you want to be lean 130-135.
    For men its 120lbs for 5ft and 5 lbs for every inch. I am 5 foot 7 also and weigh 165 and people think I am to thin. But thats
    mostly larger people.

lol i don't believe there is a rule of thumb for body type considering everyone is different....
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

Most women at 5'1" would be healthy at 105.