Hi I just started my first diet plan ever...questions :)

Options
First, I'm wondering if I drink a lot of water will it make me gain weight like I hear of this "water weight" and I'm not sure if that would be cause from drinking too much water. I know you get it from eating a lot of salt and stuff but other than that I don't know.

Second, Does anyone know of some good work out videos I can do for about 30mins a day. I'm not used to exercising at all.

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water will only really make you gain any weight if you jump on the scale after downing it and it's sitting in your stomach. Water weight is usually used for those times when you've not gone over your calories by enough to have actually gained a pound, but the scale still says you're up 1. Usually it is sodium, or hormonal.

If you're not used to exercising try walking. It's easy, cheap, and you can do it anywhere. Youtube has some good videos you can try as well so you'll be able to find something you like and try it out before buying it.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    First, I'm wondering if I drink a lot of water will it make me gain weight like I hear of this "water weight" and I'm not sure if that would be cause from drinking too much water. I know you get it from eating a lot of salt and stuff but other than that I don't know.

Drinking water will NOT make you gain weight any longer than it takes you to go to the bathroom. Retaining water can be due to salt intake, stress, hormones, etc etc etc etc. Water weight isn't the type of weight you should be worried about. You need water.

Of course, if you drink 32 oz of water and then stand on a scale, you'll immediately be 2 pounds heavier. :)

http://www.topendsports.com/weight-loss/weightloss-water.htm
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    In the very short term, drinking a lot of water can cause you to retain if you typically don't get enough. However, if you consume 8 glasses or so a day regularly, you will stop retaining that water after a couple of days since your body is no longer worried that you are going into dehydration. Drinking more water is definitely beneficial to weight loss and general health in the long run.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    1. Drink at least 64oz of water per day (8 glasses), and you will be good.

2. Try 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels, or any of her videos for that matter. They are ~30 min.

3. Make this a lifestyle change! Not a DIET. That word has bad ju-jus.

Best of luck!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Seems backwards but drinking more water/being properly hydrated actually stops you from retaining water.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try a Leslie Sansone walking video, they are great for beginners!
  • mothsfkinprincess
    Options
    Thanks,, everyone for the advice!