do you ever wonder what is the point of being thin?

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Im less concerned about thin than about healthy. I don't want to go into my next decade feeling like I did for most of the last one...or looking like that either!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I think, in my case, the older you get, the less you want to be an old, fat person who does nothing except sit around and get older and fatter. Age does enough to rob you of the energy and mobility you take for granted in youth. Not to mention the older you are, the more susceptible you are to problems with joints, bones, heart problems, etc. I want to enter the last years of my life with a better chance to avoid some of the pitfalls of old age.

VAIN? Your friends are morons. Misery loves company....they WANT you to stay fat like them. DONT fall for that. You get yourself thin and healthy and find some new friends that will support your efforts. You will be a LOT happier!
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've been fat. I've been thin (normal weight).

Thin (normal weight) is better.
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You are lucky. Where I live, everyone is thin. My city has the lowest obesity rate of North America. Our stats for the overweight are mostly derived from the older (40 and up) women.
    So where I live...the point of being thin is to be accepted in society. The bigger people are usually rejected or shunned out of social events.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're talking yourself out of trying.

BOOM.
  • soxfan2184
    soxfan2184 Posts: 48
    Options
    It's about being healthy! Not thin
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Nobody wants to be fat/obese and most fat/obese people aren't happy being that way. They may be happy in other aspects of their life but if you asked them if they could drop 50lbs overnight without any effort would they do it, they would.

Just because they are comfortable and too lazy to do anything about their weight doesn't mean you have to be.

The point in being thin (I prefer fit but whatever floats your boat)

-healthier
    -happier
    -people treat you better (shouldn't be this way but it is)
    -feeling fabulous in your body
    -being well-equipped for anything life throws at you
    -live longer

Remember - you are worth the effort
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Being able to go shopping and not being totally disgusted with what you see in the mirror and being able to look awesome in anything you wear. lol Or is that just me? :P
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you don't find a point in being thin good for you. Instead focus on being healthy or at least healthier if being completely healthy is out of range. Eat nutritionally dense foods and move more. Keep doing that in addition to creating a sustainable and modest deficit and you will lose weight and you will be healthier.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, you can not be healthy w/o being a healthy weight. Out of Necessity, if you eat and eliminate waste properly, your Body will gravitate to its natural weight. If you are overweight or obese, its more about health factors going bad...like your Body screaming out that you have eaten it into an acidic state. Which means at some point it will try to correct itself by going into states of dis-ease. Overweight or Obesity is your Body warning you what is to come Health-wise. All the other ascetic stuff is just is just a "Trick" to move your focus from your health, because there are those that are "thin" who are Un-Healthy; anyone can lose weight by cutting calories but what they eat may be poison junk (we see it every day).
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    everyone where I live is overweight (except for teens) and they seem pretty content. sometimes I think to myself, what is the point of being thin if everyone around me is heavyset and happy? am I being vain or shallow for watching my weight? I know I've been made to feel that way by close friends & family sometimes.

i think that depends on how you define "overweight"

a lot of technically overweight people take very good care of themselves, eat well, exercise and are by no means unhealthy.

if if it's for your own vanity, you have to decide what you like and how much you are willing to work for it.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like being able to chase my kids without being tired after 2 minutes.
    I like being able to get off the couch without rolling off
    I like that I don't catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thing "dear god, what happened to you"
    I espcially like like that I'm breaking the cycle of obesity and tons of health problem for the next generation.
    I'm not thin yet but I very strong and the rest will hopefully follow.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What about being just healthy? The thought of being fat with diabetes and debility is not appealing to me.
  • SteviePaige
    Options
    I hear you!! There are times when I feel like "why bother?". Everyone that has posted here has really good points and all the comments have been a great encouragement! You're not alone! We all have our low moments where we feel like giving in. But you're also surrounded by the ones here who will support your efforts! You will have bad days where you don't exercise and you eat too much. Put it behind you, move forward, tomorrow is a new day, never give up!! And from experience..once you reach your goals, don't stop!! (I did a backwards slide once I reached my goals last year...and now I am back to trying to lose it all again! Don't be like me!!)
  • watermillion
    watermillion Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You are lucky. Where I live, everyone is thin. My city has the lowest obesity rate of North America. Our stats for the overweight are mostly derived from the older (40 and up) women.
    So where I live...the point of being thin is to be accepted in society. The bigger people are usually rejected or shunned out of social events.

Interesting. It's the complete opposite here. Even the strippers are fat
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight, I never acted like a miserable mess. But I was very miserable. I just didn't feel like projecting it onto others was the answer.

^ This. (Although I was extremely obese and now I'm about 15lbs away from the overweight section of the BMI)

For me it's about getting healthy and becoming fit. I have been healthy before and I miss it terribly. I don't care if no one else around me wants to be healthy.

I want to look good in a bikini.
    I want to look good naked.
    I want to be able to take long walks/ hikes without feeling like I'm going to die half way through. (By long I mean 6+ miles)
    I want to go backpacking again.
    I don't want to have to buy bras at specialty stores anymore.
    I want to be able to run a mile in 8-9 mins again.
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I feel so much more self-confident and healthier! It's work but in my opinion it's worth it. I am much happier now then I was before! Nothing looks as good as thin feels!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    A) I want to look hot

B) I want to do a **** ton of fun stuff during the day (fishing, biking, swimming) and still have enough energy to have sex after.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I never regret weight loss.
    I regret wasting so much of my life overweight.
    I regret letting myself go (more than once) instead of keeping trim and fit in the first place.
    But I never regret any time I live at a healthy weight.
    Ever.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    It's about being healthy! Not thin

^^^^^ This

I can do more now as a 57 year old man with 2 artificial hips and an artificial knee now that I've gotten in shape and my weight is under control than when I was 17 or 27 and not in shape. And it feels damned good.