How to overcome the plateaus?

Options
Weight loss has definitely been a journey for me. I've been on this path for the last 22 months and so far I have lost 65 pounds. I go through periods where I lose, then plateau, get discouraged, and stop following a weight loss plan. The cycle then repeats. My question is how to you break the plateaus? I've been stuck for 3 months at a time when I am following the plan. I don't know what to do. Another concern I have is belly fat. I've have lost fat EVERYWHERE except my stomach and it is now very disproportionate to the rest of my body. I've tried just about every abdominal workout, doing these for about 45 minutes a day. Am I not doing enough or am I simple doing the exercises wrong or does it take a very long time to see results in that region? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is controversial but you could try intermittent fasting with a 6 hour window which should slim down your troubled areas. Worked really well for me. My tummy wouldn't budge, but I've lost half an inch in two weeks doing nothing but changing my eating hours.
  • stlette614
    stlette614 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you talking 6 hours in between meals? Please explain how this works.
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes I would like to know how it works too!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Switch up your exercise routine and eat 100-200 more calories daily for a week or so. Works for me every time.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Weight training will reduce your body fat percentage (and your tummy). I suggest NROLFW or Stronglifts. I had the same issue but I have lost nearly 4 inches off my waist in 5 months, 4 inches off hips, and over 5 inches off my tummy (at belly button) (with only 1 pound weight loss).

As for IF - some people use an 18/6 plan (no food for 18 hours, food for 6 each day).

I use IF, but not on purpose. I eat from about noon to 11pm every day because that is when I am hungry - so in 11 hours I consume about 2000 calories. For the other 13 hours I do not take in food (but I do have coffee). I have always eaten with this pattern and I have been at this current weight (give or take a pound) for nearly 6 months.

I think getting off plateaus is different for everyone. I have tried so many things to make the scale move - increase calories, increase activity intensity, decrease calories...nothing works. BUT, with weight training I am losing inches and that makes me look better in my own eyes, so I will continue on the path I am on and hope I can get the other 2 inches off my waist, 5 off my tummy and 4 off my hips.

I guess it isn't really a plateau if I am losing inches and I just need to get out of the mindset that when the scale doesn't move I am not getting anywhere.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    When I plateau, I mix up my body by changing what I eat (perhaps eat a couple hundred calories less or more depending on if you are already nearly too low or a bit high to start) AND I bump up my workouts and do something different than I've done before. This usually kicks me down off the plateau within a week. Also up your water intake and make sure you are getting enough sleep. We all get in ruts and do the same thing and the body seems to get used to it and we quit losing. GOOD LUCK in whatever you try and I hope you get over your plateau soon!
  • gpinzone
    gpinzone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can't really spot reduce fat. You can concentrate on certain muscle groups to gain muscle in a specific are, but not lose fat.

Intermittent fasting is a good idea. A fat fast would be another. Do 1,000 calories of approx 90% fat for a few days, but you can try higher calorie and slightly lower fat percentage.
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The 18/6 plan sounds interesting...
  • stlette614
    stlette614 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify the 18/6, since I have never heard of this before, you fast for 18 hours of the day while only eating during a 6 hour time frame?

Sometimes I'm guilty of doing this. Where I will only eat once a day simply because I'm not hungry. I find it difficult to drink any more than 8 glasses of water a day. I know my sleep schedule is all over the place and it's something I have tried to fix for quite some time.

I do notice a slight difference with strength training. I don't have a means for measuring inches or even know where I should be taking these measurements at but I do notice my clothes fitting a little bit differently. Guess it's just depressing to not see progress on the scale. Sometimes I think I need all the scales in the house removed. I'm obsessive about weighing myself. (Anywhere from 1-3 times a day!)

This is the first I've used this message board and browsed through the blogs. But I really do find it motivating and helpful to stay on track.