How much exercise is TOO much exercise?

Options
I hate to be "that person" but I actually enjoy exercising now. :embarassed: I love the way I feel during/afterwards and I've found several exercises I truly, thoroughly enjoy (Zumba and running are up there). I usually do about 45-60 minutes of calisthenics in the morning, and now I hope to follow that up with about 30-45 minutes of Zumba (I'm using YouTube videos for this). If I can, I like to run in the evenings but since it's been too hot I've been struggling to wake up earlier and do that, as well.

That means I'm doing about two hours of exercise everyday, and often I'm bored enough in the evenings to want to do something like Zumba again. Please be kind, as I'm not necessarily open to changing my routine, but I'd also like some general opinions: how much exercise is too much?

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    its very hard to overexercise. its very easy to undersleep and undereat.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    For me personally, if I reach the point that my exercise is more important then time with my family, it's too much. It's all about balance. For this reason, I can't WAIT for my last kid to learn to ride his bike. Then *evil laugh* Exercise will be family time!
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    I'd say listen to your body. I love exercising too (well, after I start it, getting started can be hard!), but my body lets me know if I've been overdoing it. A hard strength training session on Sunday followed by a 40 min swim plus 20 minutes walking each way to the pool on Monday left me exhausted and sore on Tuesday. So I rested that day.

If you want to see lots of discussion on overtraining, go to triathlon message boards. Training for an Ironman obviously comes with the danger of over-doing it. Usually the symptoms are fatigue, not feeling recovered, frequent colds, and overuse injury. Pay attention to your body. Sometimes it's easy to let the adrenaline and euphoria of a good workout take over, but if I let that happen there's usually an injury waiting. :ohwell:
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    its very hard to overexercise. its very easy to undersleep and undereat.
    THIS^
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    You've all made some pretty good points, thank you!