Calorie / intake question?

Options
I'm underweight. 5'9 and 114 lbs.
I am working my way to healthy eating after a year of disordered eating. Which is the reason for my low weight.
I used to get no more than 800, 900 calories. Lately, I've upped it to 1,200. A lot of it had to do with fear. I'm still losing weight. But that's no wonder.

Obviously, I don't want to lose anymore weight. I weighed in this morning at 113, and that scared me.. so obviously, I need to eat more.
MFP says to maintain I should be getting 1,700. So.. is that the number I should shoot for..? I understand we're all different, but I'm just superduper confused right now.

Replies

• sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you've set your goal to gain, the the MFP number being given to you should be accurate for your general daily intake.

If you're not already working with a doctor/nurtitionist/therapist I would suggest reaching out to one so that you have some professional monitoring and support during the process of getting back to healthy eating.

Assuming you might not have those medical professionals at your disposal or are unable to get them then I would suggest this - if the idea of jumping from 1200 to 1700 calories is mentally too hard or could trigger any relapse, maybe consider easing into it. Each week increase your intake by 100 calories or so until the message sticks that those calories are not your enemy.

Congratulations on trying to commit to leading a healthy lifestyle and overcome your disordered eating!
  • suunflower
    suunflower Posts: 36
    Options
    ( shameless bump.. really, really in need of advice )
  • ahskds
    ahskds Posts: 9
    Options
    If you've set your goal to gain, the the MFP number being given to you should be accurate for your general daily intake.

If you're not already working with a doctor/nurtitionist/therapist I would suggest reaching out to one so that you have some professional monitoring and support during the process of getting back to healthy eating.

Assuming you might not have those medical professionals at your disposal or are unable to get them then I would suggest this - if the idea of jumping from 1200 to 1700 calories is mentally too hard or could trigger any relapse, maybe consider easing into it. Each week increase your intake by 100 calories or so until the message sticks that those calories are not your enemy.

Congratulations on trying to commit to leading a healthy lifestyle and overcome your disordered eating!

This sounds like pretty sound advice to me ...
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I agree. And if 1700 is the amount to maintain 114lbs at 5'9" you should be eventually aiming higher... but baby steps.
  • suunflower
    suunflower Posts: 36
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback! So: 1,700 calories is the number I should shoot for, yes?
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Correct. 1700 at LEAST. Good luck:)
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    1700 should maintain you at 114. If you are still needing to gain back more weight you may want to eat 100-200 calories above that I would think to gave some weight.