having success but feeling a little down

Ok mfp. I'm reaching out for some similar stories or motivation. I've lost 56lbs so far and feeling great and have ran two 5k's this year. I'm doing my cardio on a daily basis and strength training, but still feel like when I look in the mirror I should be smiling more than just having that look of how much more. Now don't get me wrong I feel like I look great in my clothes but still you know what underneath looks like behind the clothes. I started at 320 and set my goal weight at 250 which would be 70 lbs lost and have not reached that yet and decided maybe I would add another 20 or more to lose but I'm thinking do I have to lose 100 or more to get that ultimate look I want. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated or love to hear from anyone who has been feeling the same. have a good one.

Replies

• 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    well all depends on what look that you want to achieve.

Personally I know its a longgg journey its a life change so if its not my year im ok with that.. cause you know what i know where ill be in the next year.

Im down from 300 and im 5'5'' still cutting. should be about 175 this saturday.. I know i'd like to get to about 8% bf so i know how long i have to go. I know when i lift i know how i want to lift to achieve my goals...

I know what you mean clothes look fine.. personally i got skin to contend with.. i know its my own doing but I also can see the changes and Ill never go back to where i was and iknow its more than a fair trade off.

Gl hope this helps.
  • TylerJessilynn
    TylerJessilynn Posts: 13 Member
    I've lost 130lbs, so I know exactly how you feel. The best thing I can do is compare myself how you used to look. You have to force youself to smile, and tell yourself you look good. You'll start believing it after awhile
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I don't have any personal experience words of wisdom, but I can appreciate what you're saying.

I'm mostly posting this to draw attention to it for my awesome FL where I suspect at least a few of them have BTDT and can share how they got through this part of the process.

ETA: And for what it's worth, I appreciate that your post isn't a "everyone come and give me random generic motivations and supports to help me get started!" but instead is an "I started this thing, I've made some good progress, but here's a problem I'm having right now, does anyone have any thoughts on what might help me get through this part of the process?" That distinction is important, and I like how you're approaching this.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Firstly, congrats on your 56 lbs lost!

I second 6spdeg's suggestion of setting some goals for yourself. This will help define the direction you want to go.

Good luck to you!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I'm at goal (passed it actually) and I can totally relate. I see my flaws now more than I ever did when I was fat, because then I knew I was fat and I tried not to think about it.

I don't know how much this will help you, but I do think it takes your brain awhile to catch up. 6 months is what people usually say is the time it takes to start seeing yourself as you are when you go through major weight loss. I also found that I needed a little break. I took a day off from logging (it had been seven months) and I bought myself some really nice new clothes that accentuated my good features (YMMV on that). I'm also going to link a great article that really helped me get into a better head space about my progress. Just remember that it's a process and that the process is as much mental as it is physical. Be easy on yourself about this, because it really does take some time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1013098-the-10-commandments-of-lean-by-sohee-lee
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    56 lbs is awesome! Honestly congrats!
    The thing is with success, brings wanting more. With improvement you say "well, if I can do that.....I can do more" and you are a bit disappointed in yourself.
    Don't be. Just continue to work, and yes set goals.
    You DO look great.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    You're doing great man. It takes time, not only to lose the weight, but to start liking what you look like nekkid. I lost a lot of weight fairly rapidly ( no surgery) and was not happy with myself under the clothes at my goal weight. I did cardio 7 days a week during my rapid loss. You're already doing better than I was by lifting now. Once I hit my weight I changed it up to a slow bulk. Went to 3 days cardio and three days lifting, while eating at a slight surplus. A year later and 17 pounds heavier I am much happier with my appearance, in and out of clothes.

I am now cutting again (10 lbs or so) then I will bulk. I plan on bouncing back and forth between 182 & 200 until I get the physique I want. This probably wasn't too helpful, but the moral is that it takes time. You are already making huge progress, just keep at it and you WILL get to where you want to be. Keep lifting and making gains there, that made the biggest difference in my appearance ( filled in skin etc).

(2 years later and I still have body dismorphia issues, they get less frequent and intense, it just takes time)

Good luck and keep killing it!
  • Scrimples
    Scrimples Posts: 45
    I know the feeling. I've lost over 100 pounds and a lot of the time I look in the mirror and still see that heavy woman that I've known most of my life. I find myself still grabbing that size 26 instead of size 12 when I shop. I still check the weight limit on folding chairs and the like. I don't think my mind has caught up to my accomplishment. I think I should drop more, but then I'm told I look thin or skinny. I'm still afraid of cameras. I won't have my picture taken and haven't updated even my photo here since 30 or more pounds ago. For so long I've seen myself as a fat person and that was what I knew, identified with, and accepted. Then I was that person who was trying to change myself and become someone new. Now I'm someone else again and it will take time to adjust, accept, and begin to identify with this new person and new body. It's a bit of a mind twist. As someone who was never happy or loving towards myself this is a very hard habit to break, perhaps the hardest habit to break.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    First of all, BIG congratulations on how far you've come so far.
    Second, as for changing your goal - why don't you see how you feel when you get to your first goal? We all have a healthy range, not just a set number, so you might find that you're happy at your original goal or that you want to go a bit further.

Finally - the most important thing - how you view yourself. It's hard. Believe me, I know its hard. You can see the number go down, see the improvements in your measurements and appearance, and still feel inferior. Sadly, reaching your goal weight won't fix that. I still struggle with this myself, even though I have been maintaining a healthy weight for almost 2 years now.

One thing that helped me somewhat was to try to come up with something positive about myself for every negative thought I had.

I also tried to take the things I saw as flaws and find something good about them (example: stretch marks - I hate the way they look, like my stomach has been clawed at by a madman, but I am glad they're here because they are a testament to the wonderful child I have, and some of them are also a reminder of how big I used to be and what I will never go back to).

Another thing that might help is to celebrate each victory - did you go down a size in your pants? AWESOME. Does your shirt have a bit more room in it than it did last month? GREAT.

Celebrate how far you have come and keep celebrating. Make small goals and give yourself kudos when you reach them. Don't beat yourself up if you stumble. Just keep trying.

Good luck, and a big congrats again to how far you've come already!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    I have never been in your shoes... I do want say congratulation for the 56 pounds you have lost so far. You have to stay positive, because just as you have lost that weight you WILL loose the rest. Just as any obstavle a person has in life you have to have patience and keep you head! You are doing amazing work! Keep it up and you will be there in no time! And you have got some great support on here :-)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    It took me a while to see the changes, and start to feel good about it all. For a while I was only doing this for my health, and didn't really expect much else. The psychological changes seem to take longer for some (certainly did for me).

I don't know if it's relevant for you, or not... but taking a 2 week break every 6 months (and eating at maintenance instead of a deficit), did wonders for re-motivating me.

I hope you find your smile soon. :flowerforyou:
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Wow 56, you've done great! Every day is a step further to your goals. Before you know it, you'll be setting new ones.
    Be patient with yourself and try to focus on the beauty and opportunity that each new day brings.
    Your current success is inspiration to many, congratulations!!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Patience grasshopper. Big changes take time. Almost all of reach plateaus we can't bust through, or gain weight back, or don't lose as fast as we think we should, etc.
  • bigcle82
    bigcle82 Posts: 134 Member
    I would like to thank everyone for your responses. I can say that I do have a problem with patience. LOL!!!!
    I know that I hit a small bump in the road, but I will not stop. This is life changing and I know I will get there I just had a down moment and its going to take some time. I started this journey and looking forward to a year from now and so on. Thanks again and congrats to everyone and good luck
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    First, congratulations. You lost a tremendous amount of weight and should be damn proud.

Second, congratulations. No, seriously. Most people don't make it as far as you have. Excellent work.

Third. I understand where you're coming from. You've put in the work to lose a big number but you aren't quite satisfied. But keep in mind that your original goal was most likely an arbitrary number that you pulled out of the sky (or somewhere). If you're anything like me, you picked a number based on 3 criteria. It was round (nobody picks 253 or 247), it was big (80 pounds!) and it felt somewhat attainable.

Take heart in knowing you've done all the right things so far. You found a weight loss method that's worked for you and will continue working. You set a target and moved close to it. The next step, if you're not happy at your original target, is to set a new one. Since it sounds like you're concerned about how you look with clothes off, I suggest you use body fat percentage as your guide. Get your body fat percentage checked and figure out how much more fat you need to burn to get to the BF% you desire. That will give you a goal weight that should be more satisfying once you reach it.

Oh, and congratulations!
  • bigcle82
    bigcle82 Posts: 134 Member
    Thanks, I agree with getting the body fat% checked. I've seen so many have excellent results with losing bf% and I understand that takes time also. Sounds like knowing that will give me a better idea of where to determine my goal weight or just getting those results I desire.
    Thanks again
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    My wife and I had this discussion last night. We were on our way home from the gym and talking about progress and stuff and I told her that I "feel" fatter now than I ever have. Like you, I feel great, I like my progress, but I also now actually see what "needs" to be done.

I guess part of it was that I never really saw myself as big as I was. I always had an image in my head that I was much smaller than I was, but now that I am actually smaller, I see the work that needs to be completed. For me personally, it's not a downer or a bad thing, it's just what it is. I don't have a goal weight, but I have a goal look. Whether that look takes 1 yr or 3 yrs, I know that I've come too far to quit now and I'm having the best time getting there.

I guess I'm just more realistic about how I look. In clothes I look pretty good, naked..well, not as well as I would like. There are positives and negatives. I understand that this is a process and I'm just going to have to complete the process for the desired end result. The only bit of advice I can offer is to keep knocking it out and believe that it WILL happen. I know it will and I'm focusing more on that then I am the things I don't like.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    The people above me have been far more eloquent than I could be, so I'm just going to chime in with 'what they said' on that front.

I have self-image issues as well, and though I've still got a long way to go, one of the things that's helped me the most along the way is to focus on performance oriented goals rather than physique ones.

You mentioned doing a couple 5Ks, have you considered signing up for something longer?
    Are you interested in any sports? Could you join a competitive league?

I think as long as you keep your diet in check and stay active (which you're clearly doing) you'll have great success. Giving yourself performance milestones, in my opinion, will make the whole process more enjoyable.

Good luck to you in the future, and congratulations on your current success!
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Just sent you a FR as we are very similar in body profile and current progress level and can use more friends in the same boat as I am to help keep ourselves motivated and accountable.

Great work on your progress so far. Don't lose sight of that.

Stay on the course for the long term results also.

We got this ****.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MireyGal76/view/visual-timeline-542777

I just blogged this, in response to your post, and in response to a post one of my friends made on his news feed.

(feel free to ignore the self cheering at the bottom) lol