I pick things up and put them down?

Options
What's the difference between lifting as much as I can, for fewer reps/sets and lifting a moderate amount for longer sets?
As a woman with a substantial amount of weight to lose, which is best for me?
I'm doing moderate cardio for 35-50 minutes 5-6 days a week. I'm ready to begin some strength training but I don't know where to start. Keeping in mind that I have to start slow, do you have any suggestions or insight?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    For beginners you should keep reps low and weight high. Build a good foundation of strength. As a beginner you need frequency, not volume.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    And check out starting strength
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    And check out starting strength
    Would you recommend 3 days a week?
    What's starting strength? A specific program?
    Thanks for your response!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between lifting as much as I can, for fewer reps/sets and lifting a moderate amount for longer sets?
    As a woman with a substantial amount of weight to lose, which is best for me?
    I'm doing moderate cardio for 35-50 minutes 5-6 days a week. I'm ready to begin some strength training but I don't know where to start. Keeping in mind that I have to start slow, do you have any suggestions or insight?

One is more geared towards strength and the other muscle hypertrophy. It's good to incorporate both if you can. I alternate days from strength to growth throughout my split.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that lifting for strength is a better idea in a deficit. You can't do too much in the way of hypertrophy without a surplus. Vary it up if you like (I have sometimes) but consistently progressing with heavier and heavier weights is the goal.
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    This is the opposite of what I was taught once upon a time. I understood that most women wanted to lift less weight, more times and men would bulk up by lifting more weight, fewer times! Mind... blown
    Any suggestions for finding a good free weight routine?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 and I love it for the simplicity. Check out the program here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 and I love it for the simplicity. Check out the program here:
    Thanks!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options

I agree !
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I just started Monday. Loving it so far!!! Only thing I've found is I am generally starving on the days I do the program. I can't imagine how I'm going to be when it gets harder!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    This is the opposite of what I was taught once upon a time. I understood that most women wanted to lift less weight, more times and men would bulk up by lifting more weight, fewer times! Mind... blown
    Any suggestions for finding a good free weight routine?

Men bulk up because they have lots of testosterone. Women don't have the testosterone to build big muscles, unless they do steroids or something.

Starting Strength, a book by Mark Rippetoe
    New Rules of Lifting for Women, a book by Lou Schuler
    Stronglifts 5x5, a free website

NROL4W and Stronglifts both have groups here on myfitnesspal you might want to check out.