I'm still struggling with sushi cals!! HELP!

Options
nixism
nixism Posts: 258 Member
Any tips people?? I'm trying my best here... still lost!

Is it better to just choose something generic and over estimate it, or is it better to peice it together element by element to get your best rough estimate. I am in NZ and the only option is St Pierres, which isn't good sushi and filled with mayo etc which I don't eat.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

I usually just get nori, rice, avocado, or sometimes nori, rice, prawn/veg (no mayo).

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If it's not good sushi, why do you even bother?
  • atragicfate
    Options
    If you really like sushi, a great (and healthy) option is to make your own. It doesn't take very long and you can make as much as you want. Most supermarkets have a sushi starter kit. It's very easy to make.
    I am also from NZ and I make my own regularly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Definitely skip the mayo. Otherwise, try to limit the tempura. Enjoy!
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think she's looking for advice on logging sushi... no? I would just log generic and overestimate if your options are limited.
  • nixism
    Options
    I meant the only sushi option listed on MFP for New Zealand sushi is "St Pierres" sushi - (which I don't like)
    I get my sushi elsewhere, and I guess I will just have to peice it together element by element and over do it, so I am sure to be within my cals for the day.

Thanks all. Sushi is a bit hard to work out - I only have it now and then for a "treat" meal anyways, so shouldn't blow the budget too much :)

Thank you!
  • Longisland2NC
    Longisland2NC Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can try and internet search on the nutrition/calories/etc of different kinds of Sushi (there is a site called CALORIE COUNT that I use....has LOTS of items) I looked it up and it has alot of sushi items on there - even breaks it down so you can add what it has to the MFP data list!

CalorieCount.com

Put in Sushi and a large list comes up....scroll down and it will have the nutrients listed. Find one that comes close to what you had! Hope this helps.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    I don't think mayo was part of the years of training to become a sushi chef.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i get tons of options when i just search sushi..you could search that, or for sushi hand rolls, and just pick whatever is closest to what you had.
  • nixism
    Options
    I've just made me best guesses and over done them, so I will stay within or under my daily cals.
    Calorie Count cals were very different to MFP for some of them!
  • hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I look up sushi calories- online, from different menus- and use the highest estimate. Example: I eat avocado rolls often, and I usually put those in about 190 a roll (most everywhere lists them between 140-150 cal) that way I know I'm safe :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I find sushi very difficult to log, as well. I just try to pick the one in the database that seems to match as close as possible. I know that I will generally be over my calories for the day if I have sushi, so I'm not too panicked about getting the *exact* right one.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If it's not good sushi, why do you even bother?
    What is good for you might not be good for someone else.

I hate fish and I still eat sushi quite often. I get all veggie sushi and honestly to me, it is pretty damn good.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Mayo in sushi?? Never heard of that. I would try making it yourself. I did if for the first time last night. It was amazing!
  • nixism
    Options
    Yeah they often put japanese mayo or "yum yum" sauce into sushi sometimes, I don't like it myself...

What I don't get is what is a ROLL in the USA, versus a PEICE here in NZ? IE: Our peices are about 1.5inch in diameter, and 0.5 inch thick... and weigh about 30-40g. So for 100g ROLL that is in MFP, I'm usually eating 3-4 peices of "my" sushi.

Hard to work out! But I am over estimating it, so I don't blow out today :)
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to stick with sashimi and/or nigiri. Or I use the generic entries for special stuff. I'm such a sucker for spider rolls though. And anything special the chef decides to send my way. I eats all the sushi. I have half a dragon roll eyeballing me from dinner.... And sadly, I always forget to log the soy sauce and ginger & wasabi. :)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you are eating it as an occasional treat, just log a similar roll. If you're concerned about extra calories from mayo or maybe a larger than normal roll, quick add 200 calories per roll.

If you are eating it often, make it at home. Weigh everything and then you'll know. This will also make you more confident about your estimates when eating out.

By the way, a roll is before it is cut, a piece is after.