Getting vascular

Options
I never really meant for my body to do this, but it's happening nonetheless. My arms have some veinage going on, and my forearms are getting road map crazy.

The rest of me is pretty normal, with the exception of a couple of veins showing on my hips.

I've never had my body fat percentage measured, but I'm going to guess it's in the teens.

I'm okay with it now, but I just don't want it to get any more pronounced. I workout 4x a week for an hour - 60% lifting and 40% cardio. I love my workouts and don't really want to cut back.

I just don't want to end up with Madonna arms...

Madonna-Veiny-Arms.jpg

Replies

• Arrofalcon
    Arrofalcon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Unless your bodyfat is sub 18% for a female, I don't think you have to worry about this.
  • hendelk
    hendelk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I just can help thinking how many IV's I could start on Madonna's arms. I'm almost salivating! :wink:
  • jwil1231
    jwil1231 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    OMgosh! Don't think I have ever seen her arms - boy! hmmm, is that just being skinny?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I mentioned the veins on my arms tonight to my husband, and he said he noticed it the other day when we were moving boxes and I was lifting something heavy.

Arrofalcon, I would guess at this point I probably am around 18% or even slightly under that.

Like I said, I don't mind they way they are now, but i don't want it to go any further. I also enjoy my workouts as they are a major stress reliever, and really don't want to cut back on them.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    OMgosh! Don't think I have ever seen her arms - boy! hmmm, is that just being skinny?

That's my question!!! What the heck does she do for workouts? What does she eat?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Vascularity is just a sign of low body fat. Eat more and they go away.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have a few of friends who are nurses and they always look at my hands/arms and comment that i have nice veins. Cracks me up cause only a nurse would say that.

If you like the level you are at, go into maintenance and stay there
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    you could just stop the cardio all together and just lift.. you look like you dont need cardio at all good shape to just lift and get your cardio from that alone.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    \That's my question!!! What the heck does she do for workouts? What does she eat?

My guess would be the souls of young men. :devil: (Edit: and that's both her workout, and what she eats)

I didn't have a vein problem, but when I got a little bonier in the chest and face than I wanted, I upped my calories a couple hundred to bump up my body fat a smidgeon.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Vascularity is just a sign of low body fat. Eat more and they go away.

This^

When I was super-ripped, I had veins popping everywhere.

A bulk soon cured me of that. If it's worrying you, eat over TDEE for a little while and they'll go away.....
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You are too funny! Madonna arms are nasty! I hate the veins in my arms. My fiance loves them. My son taught me the trick of holding my arms over my head for a few seconds and then they go away. I feel self conscious about mine. Not so much at the gym, but when I have a dress on I feel that they are so manly.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great indication of health when you go vascular. I love it. My shoulders & forearms and hands are very veiny too. I also have a little in my hips. My husband thinks its sexy...

now the Madonna pic... uhm, maybe a little too skinny but if I were her, I wouldn't be hatin'... just sayin. :)

I would not change a think on your work outs. Definitely get your BF% checked - going below the 18% may cause you to lose your menstrual cycle as it did me last year. I am at a healthy 22% right now.. hope to drop 2 more percent then just maintain...
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    Could also be a little dehydration. I also get more vascular when I am low carbing it.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Well, I haven't lost my menstrual cycle, but I do know that it is a possibility with a low BF%.

I really would like to have mine tested - I am very curious as to where it's at.

I don't mind at all what my body looks like at the moment - I just don't want it to go any further veinage wise. Looking at this picture (which could possibly be inaccurate - who knows), I would say I'm around 17 or 18%?

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As mentioned several times by other nurses..I would LOVE to stick her! I wanted to say that last night when I saw this but decided not to because I thought it sounded a little creepy LOL...But as a 3rd semester nursing student new to starting iv's, when I walk in a PT's room and see anything close to this I relax immediately ;)