Craving and Giving In

Options
2»

Replies

• crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    People who claim they never get cravings are less than truthful.....just human nature. My craving is chocolate and I battle for years trying to do without; then caving and eating 2-3 dark chocolate bars. Have found from experience it's best to have a small bite or square every couple of days. Eliminates my cravings and helps me from total breakdown and binge.
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I believe that people who can eat sweets in moderation just don't get why some of us find that impossible. If there are sweets in the house I will binge. I need them out of the house. I believe that a complete abstinence for a month or so will slow the cravings.

I still have the odd binge but my memory of feeling like crap afterwards is getting better. Remembering that crappy feeling can make me think again before getting a tray of cinnamon buns to bring home.

I also like fruit so get my sweet cravings somewhat satisfied in a more healthy manner.
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    YEP...
    mainly when im smoking pot :|
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Remember that feeling and maybe you won't do it tomorrow.

Some is good. More is not always better.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't have cravings anymore because I have spent the last 4 years changing my relationship with food. I no longer see food has this is good or this is bad and I never deprive myself of what I want. If it fits into my caloric intake and I have hit my macro's then it is fair game... I learned long ago when you deprive yourself of something you enjoy (not eating any more sweets til August) you will ride the vicious rollercoaster of binge eating.. Yes I did the whole empty the house of all bad food thing in the beginning, brought in 2 - 32 gallon trash cans and empty the house but I also started going to therapy and getting an understanding of my food addictions and then over time I was able to start adding things back in to my diet... Was it alot of hardwork? Heck Yes but now if I want a couple cookies I have that discipline.... But I recommend this approach overtime,,, this is a lifestyle and at some point it has to be sustainable...... Best of Luck...
  • perfkdrug
    perfkdrug Posts: 24
    Options
    Package "servings" of your favorite treats into little baggies with the calorie count boldly written on the outside so you can see it. (ex: 51 Reese's Pieces-170 calories, 3 Oreos-160 calories, half a Hershey bar-110 calories) When you need a treat, grab a baggie. No fear of going nuts and eating the whole box cuz when the bag is empty, that's it.
    I do this, in fact I don't even write the calories on it - I just package into 100-200 calorie sized packs and then I know it's fine to have one. But only one.

I actually find it EASIER to not binge when I have a lot of snack foods in the house... there is something about knowing that they're always there - it sort of settles me and I can then just ignore them. I do like buying them in their pretty attractive wrappings and boxes :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I ruined weeks of clean eating tonight with a handful of peanut butter cookies. I think some of it stems from frustration though. While the scale was moving downward for awhile lately it hasn't moved down at all. Today I even gained! I probably would have been fine with a couple but I kept going. It was bad. The number on the scale will be ugly tomorrow but I'll just work harder and I'll go back to eating clean. I am still pretty angry with myself though :(.

Unless you ate >3000 extra calories today, the scale tomorrow will *not* reflect an actual pound of weight gain...and even if it does happen to be higher (because scale weight is remarkably volatile), it will *not* be fat.

This kind of thinking towards food is far more detrimental to your long-term success than a handful of cookies ever will be.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I used to have cravings. I have a really bad sweet tooth. I like candy, ice cream, and other bad sugary things.

I started my diet on May 12th, and now I don't get cravings.

My craving fix is a bowl of bad sugar cereal (3/4 cup cereal, 1/2 milk) in the morning, and it cuts any sugar craves I have.

Today, the only sugar I have consumed that is not naturally in my food is this bag of Fit and Active Cinna-Swirl snack food that's 90 calories. It's unopened, and I am not DYING to eat it, I just feel I need more calories to set on my stomach, and I have already have plenty of protein, dairy, and fruit today, thought I would have something different now.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Log it before you eat it. I have gone to the couch with a sleeve of cookies, determined to eat them all. Then, I logged them. Usually that will change my mind when I see how much of my calorie allotment they occupy. Sometimes though, I still eat them, but it is an informed choice I'm making, often leads me to exercise more.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Cravings? oh yeah. Can you say Big Mac and large fries after soccer today. Might not be so bad if I were the one playing soccer and it wasn't 2 hours past my regular feeding time!!
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    YES!! its usually around the time i have/get TOM lol
  • GoClaireGo
    GoClaireGo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't keep it in the house! I have a serious sweet tooth too. I seem to collect little pieces of chocolate when they are offered to me for free...this happens at work a lot (especially around holidays). I FREEZE them. Then if I am losing the willpower battle I take one out and by the time it has thawed I don't want it anymore. OR you can always go exercise during the most dangerous time of the day.
  • alisaglem
    alisaglem Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yep. I get them all the time. So I plan little snacks and treats so I don't freak out and eat all the chocolate in the house all at once. Here are my tricks:

Package "servings" of your favorite treats into little baggies with the calorie count boldly written on the outside so you can see it. (ex: 51 Reese's Pieces-170 calories, 3 Oreos-160 calories, half a Hershey bar-110 calories) When you need a treat, grab a baggie. No fear of going nuts and eating the whole box cuz when the bag is empty, that's it. To eat more you'd have to get a new snack baggie, and seeing the calorie number on the outside can remind you of how much you already ate and make you think again. Nestle Tollhouse ready-to-bake white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie dough is only 90 calories a cookie. I make just two or three at a time, hot gooey cookies right out of the oven. Is there anything better?? And once they're gone, they're gone. Too much hassle to reheat the oven up all over again and bake more, so I make those two or three really count!

I keep frozen strawberries and grapes in the freezer, it's easy to blend up an emergency smoothie with a banana or some juice when I need something sweet and cold, and has way fewer cals than ice cream.

Also pudding cups in the fridge are a really easy, quick chocolate fix. I prefer the sugar free ones, as they're only 70 calories a piece.

What a fabulous idea! Thank you!
  • SheilaCarpena
    SheilaCarpena Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You obviously have a sweet tooth so just plan for a cookie or brownie or something every other day or so (or whenever you want it). Restricting will only lead to a huge binge.

agreed