PCOS and Weight Loss

Any women on here with PCOS trying to lose weight? I would really like to start trying to get pregnant by the end of this year, but I need to lose quite a bit of weight first. My doctor started me on Metformin and Spironolactone due to the high amounts of testosterone in my system, I'm also 26 and have an estrogen level of a post menopausal woman...Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has a weight loss success story with PCOS?!

Replies

• schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    My son is almost four months and I've lost 61 lbs, it's rough but definitely doable. I am not on any medication but I'm sure that will help lots.
  • I wish I could share a pregnancy success story with you, but that just isn't the case. We have been trying for a little over 3 years now including seeing an reproductive endocrinologist, but everyone is different. My periods returned with 1500mg metformin and now my testosterone levels are back to normal. I am still working on the weight gain I experienced though (between PCOS and a thyroid condition). I am hoping dropping some weight and a balanced diet may do what medication and fertility treatments cannot. It is smart that you are starting now. I wasn't diagnosed until after a year of TTC. Best of luck on your weight loss and trying to get pregnant! :smile:
  • I have been diagnosed with PCOS for two years and have just recently found a way to lose weight and keep it off. I decided to juice detox for three days, partially for overall health, but also to lose some which could result in a regular cycle. In three days, I lost eight pounds, and I have kept it off for two weeks now (one of which was spent on a cruise where my eating habits were not so great). I really recommend Jason Vale's three day detox as it seems to be the only thing that has provided me with visible and lasting results. In my opinion, all natural fruit and vegetable juice is the best "healer" of all! I would like to add that whole PCOS does make it "more difficult" to lose weight, I have been told by multiple nutritionists and OBGYNs that it is only a harder by a very tiny percentage, and that the women just need a way that works for them. I cannot express to you how much I love the detox and how great I feel afterward. Good Luck and feel free to ask questions!!
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    I have PCOS and have lost 180+ pounds, with another 20-40 pounds to go. Eat well, get your sleep. exercise and hydrate and you will lose...it may be slow (has taken me nearly 7 years but will happen) Feel free to add me if you want to see my diary :)
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Hey hey! I have PCOS, was diagnosed 9 years ago and April 23, 2013 I decided that it was time for a change! I started eating a low GI, low carb diet and the pounds have been just melting off. My cycles have returned (well I've had 2 now) and I have some hope for a baby in the future.
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    I also have PCOS and insulin resistance. I'm unmedicated and I didn't know I had PCOS nor was it a problem until we started TTC #3, it took us just over 2 years to conceive him and in the end I saw a dietitian who helped me manage my carb intake to lose a few kg (think I dropped about 4kg and then got pregnant).

Now I'm just watching cal intake (not so much carbs anymore, but I could probably tweak them a little) trying to up my protein and exercising more.

There are quite a few of us here struggling with PCOS so I'm sure you won't be too short on inspiration or friends!
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    I have PCOS and have lost over 80lb in my journey. It's really tough but stick to your guns; you can do it!!!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    I would like to add that whole PCOS does make it "more difficult" to lose weight, I have been told by multiple nutritionists and OBGYNs that it is only a harder by a very tiny percentage, and that the women just need a way that works for them.

This is absolutely true. Do NOT think you can't lose weight due to PCOS. You can. You may need to limit carbs slightly more than the average bear, but again, at a barely perceptible level. The more important part of the equation is finding the right calorie intake, water intake, etc.
  • HealthyStartsHere
    HealthyStartsHere Posts: 126 Member
    I have PCOS and was never put on medication other than Birth Control. Maybe because I am young, or because my doctor doesn't care about me. lol. Regardless, I struggle with losing weight. I don't know if it's because of PCOS or because I just think it's really hard. Either way, you can lose weight with it. I'm not sure if that's the reason its taking me forever to lose - or if its because I honestly can't do it - but it does take forever.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Yes, I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance. The best way forward is to reduce starchy carbs and sugars from your diet. It really does work and help fat loss, plus incorporate some weight training and simple walking into your workouts.

I conceived via IVF, and have a beautiful 14yo DD, unfortunately it looks like I passed the PCOS onto her, she has already had a burst ovarian cyst and has terrible cycles, but I have her on a similar low carb diet and I notice a huge difference with her if she eats a lot of chips/bread/starches in a week - her mid section pretty much blows up in as little as 3 days.

I have never taken any drugs (except to get pregnant and most of those were injections) to manage my PCOS - I think if it can be done via diet and exercise, then that is going to be better for my overall health. Metformin was suggested, but I declined. This of course is a personal choice and I realise that a lot of people choose otherwise.

Best of luck - you can lose weight and you can also get out of the trap that you are in with a modified diet.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    I am PCO and insulin resistant with 140 pounds lost and a lovely almost four year old little girl :smile: . You can do this.
  • Found out I have pcos about two months ago. I'd been having problems since I was younger but they only put me on birth control to try and balance things out. I'm back on birth control as well as metiformin. I have an 11 month old that it took over a year of trying to have. I'm 21 and hubby 20.

Feel free to add me.

Ps trying to drop 38 more pounds to try for #2
  • LaChinaDoll
    LaChinaDoll Posts: 168 Member
    You can do it. Find what works for you. I lost 55lbs it took me two years just eating wholesome non processed foods. I then conceived my son with the help I the weight loss, naturopath and a healthy lifestyle. I had an amazing pregnancy with no health issues, a home birth and now am incredibly healthy two year old. Trying to lose weight after pregnancy had proven to be a little slower but I'm going at it as best as I can. Pesky hormones won't regulate.