weighing raw meats

Options
When I weigh raw chicken breast for example, it comes out 20.3 oz do I use the 20.3 oz or just 20oz of chicken and it venison 12.8 or just 12oz? on my scale.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    When I weigh raw chicken breast for example, it comes out 20.3 oz do I use the 20.3 oz or just 20oz of chicken and it venison 12.8 or just 12oz? on my scale.
    You can round if you want, or you can be exact.

I tend to put exact rounding. Or occasionally rounded estimates. As well as rarely using exact estimates of rounded numbers.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I try to be precise and add the .whaterver. I just recently found out I've been weighing my meats wrong this entire time by weighing them cooked lol.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I also am exact, why not, cause we can...

But I would log my foods as cooked, calories will be less because water and fat cook out. Then it is truly wa
    Hat you ate .....unless you eat raw.

Look for the cooked versions in the database, or use the USDA nutrient data base as a guide. (Google that )
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    363 grams
  • dbmata
    Options
    I try to be precise and add the .whaterver. I just recently found out I've been weighing my meats wrong this entire time by weighing them cooked lol.

There are entries for cooked and for raw, as an fyi.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

There are entries for cooked and for raw, as an fyi.

if you want to be exact best to weigh them raw.
    weight will be altered depending on how the intensity and duration of the cooking
  • Arrofalcon
    Arrofalcon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Be precise. And weigh your meat AFTER you've cooked it. Some of that may be water weight that is lost during cooking (you wouldn't weigh rice after you've cooked it because its full of water. The reverse works for meat too).
  • dbmata
    Options
    weight will be altered depending on how the intensity and duration of the cooking

Correct, which is why you weigh cooked.

Explanation: Different meats and different cooking methods carry different shrink rates.

eg: When I cook a porterhouse I get a 13% shrink rate because I simply age it for 4 days and then lightly sear it. If I were to roast it to medium in the oven it could be as high as a 30% shrink. Shrink is loss of water and fat.

To be really exact, you'd weigh the meat pre cook, weight the post cook, weigh the released fat, and then make your determinations starting there.