What is your MaxHR and V02 set to?

Options
2»

Replies

• WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    So today you inspired me to ask my trainer some questions to try to help you out better. So I asked him what on the HRM helps determine the calories you burn. It said its mostly the VO2 that determines the calories you burn. So the VO2 is what determines the rate in which you burn calories. He said that the Max HR is very subjective and you never really know what your max HR is. Unless you are in a medical facilitate and they are monitoring you. If a person hits their max heart rate they probably would need to be revived. So the Max HR has little affect on determining calories. The highest I have gotten my HR is 207. But he just has my watch set max of 212. I don't know what your max is but I agree with the previous post that you should have it around 205. It is hard for a lot of people to get their HR to 200 like I can. But my threshold again is 192, so when I run my heart rate increases fast!!

I am glad you are less stressed. I would say you can try to estimate your VO2 right now and maybe put 25 if you want. I looked at the test on that site and I am just not sure how accurate that is. It's sort of reminds me of those BMI calculators. Which are so incorrect at times.

Thanks again. Gosh without you here I would be a wreck...lol.

So here is what I did. I walked for 10 minutes at 3.5 mph with my V02 set to 22 and my calories burned was 30. When everything online says it should be 46-49 so I upped my V02 to 25 and did the same thing 10 minutes at 3.5 mph and my calories burned was 42. I was thinking of upping it to 27 just to see what that gives me. I guess I still don't understand what the basis is. I would rather err on the side lower calories because I generally eat my calories and do not want to go over if I am over estimating. I will still try to find a gym that will do it for me but in the meantime I think i am getting closer. Of course the thanks goes to you krazie4u247 :)
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Hello everyone

I read some of the answers here and I thought i'll give you some answers as a physician:
    1. To find your maximum heart rate, you need to know your resting heart rate
    3. Find your maximum heart rate: If you are a female, subtract your age from 226. If you are a male, subtract your age from 220. The obtained number is your maximum heart rate.
    Hope this helps and clarifies many things.
    To your health
    Dounia

So what did resting HR have to do with finding maxHR? Also the 220-age or 226-age is not accurate for all people and just a reasonable starting place if you have no other information. MHRes can be a more accurate way to determine training zones if you care about such things but it doesn't help to determine maxHR or VO2Max needed by the HRM to more accurately calculate calories burned during exercise.

Having a Heart rate monitor without having the proper medical measurements of your resting heart rate, maximum heart rate, lactate threshold, and of course VO2 Mx.. in a summary a full body composition.. then the numbers still an estimate.
    I gave the formulas because i saw people talking about a heart rate of 250!!! or just giving replys that don't make any sense from a medical point of view.. At least with the formulas you can have an estimate (yes it is on the conservative side, but it is bettwer than just putting numbers for the sake of putting them).
    please see the full reply i wrote instead of just glacing at half of it..
  • Douniap
    Options
    As for calculating your VO2 Max, if you don't have access to a facility where it can be calculated properly, here is another way of doing yourself:
    1. find a treadmill and warm up for 2 minutes
    2. Jog one mile at an easy, steady pace, making sure that you take longer than eight minutes if you are a male, or more than nine minutes for a female. Keep track of how long it actually took you and conveert it into a decimal number.
    3. note your heart rate at the end of that mile
    4. You need your weight in Kilograms for the calculation.
    the calculation itself:
    1. If you are a male, start with 108.4; if you are a female start with 100.5
    2. Multiply your Weight in kilograms by 0.1636
    3. subtract the resulting number from either 108.844 (male) or 100.5 (female)
    4. Multiply the decimal number (time iut took you to Jog a mile) by 1.438.
    5. Subtract the result from the last number obtained in step #3 above
    6. To obtain your VO2max, multiply your heart rate (taken right at the end of the one mile jog) by 0.1928
    7. Subtract the result from the last number obtained in step #5 above

So the formula looks like this for female:
    100.5 – [lbs./2.2 (0.1636)] – [time (1.438)] –
  • krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This calculation Douniap doesn't seem to bad. I made up some numbers for how long a mile would take me and the possible Hr I would have. I came up with a 36 VO2 which is a little higher than my VO2 that was calculated at the gym in May. But I am retesting in the beginning of September. My VO2 was a lot lower than it should have been for my age but it is increasing a lot because I am improving my health.

I am just glad I go to a gym that calculates this though because it helps me a lot to have them do the tests.

Douniap - I did read your full post and you wrote some great things. Though not all people between 20 and 39 have a VO2 of at least 36, and I think a lot of that has to do with someone's fitness level. I mean obviously most people should have a higher VO2 but everyone is different.

Just like all of those inaccurate weight charts that state certain weights for certain heights. But those charts never factor in things such as muscle contain, body structure, bone mass, or anything of the sort. So regardless of what the "average VO2" is for certain age brackets that is variable. So I don't think anyone should feel bad if their VO2 isn't at the average. Just work out harder. In February when I took the test, I was in a very low percentile. I just worked out harder. For me, I could care less what my VO2 is supposed to be for my age, I do what I have to do to get it higher for my own purposes.

According to a lot of these heart rate charts or what the means at the gym are programed to. My heart rates are higher than they should be for my age. Everyone's body is different. Based on my Cardio point tests at my gym, I just have higher zones. But again, everyone's body is different when it comes to their heart rates. Like I have said, my anabolic Threshold is rather high, at 192. It was 186 in February and May it increased and based on my workouts now. I don't feel winded until I am around 196 or 197, so I think my threshold increased again. In 1 minute of Recovery my HR goes down 30 beats. In 2 minutes its down total of 50. Which is a lot better than it used to be.

Even if you can't get your HRM set up in decent estimates you need to be more attuned to your body. Once you know your body you will actually be able to pick up on your zones easier. Without looking at my HR I know when my body hits my threshold or when I am in the 190s. When I got up to 207 during that run I knew it immediately. Though I didn't stay that high, I know that I don't like it and that's not something I want to continue to push.

Let us know if you do find a gym by you that does the tests and that may do zone training.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As for calculating your VO2 Max, if you don't have access to a facility where it can be calculated properly, here is another way of doing yourself:
    2. Jog one mile at an easy, steady pace, making sure that you take longer than eight minutes if you are a male, or more than nine minutes for a female. Keep track of how long it actually took you and conveert it into a decimal number.
    the calculation itself:
    6. To obtain your VO2max, multiply your heart rate (taken right at the end of the one mile jog) by 0.1928

Yeah, I wish (57).

The only problem with this formula --unless I am misreading it completely--is that you are still depending to some extent on a consistent heart rate response (i.e. HRmax) within the population, and that just doesn't exist. The same HRmax variability (SEE 10-12 bpm) that confounds the HRmax prediction equations would seem to affect this one as well. You could have 2 people of the same weight, same running speed, but different HRmax (and thus different HR at the end of the run) and you would come out with 2 different VO2 max numbers, even though both could have exactly the same actual VO2max.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    This calculation Douniap doesn't seem to bad. I made up some numbers for how long a mile would take me and the possible Hr I would have. I came up with a 36 VO2 which is a little higher than my VO2 that was calculated at the gym in May. But I am retesting in the beginning of September. My VO2 was a lot lower than it should have been for my age but it is increasing a lot because I am improving my health.

I am just glad I go to a gym that calculates this though because it helps me a lot to have them do the tests.

Douniap - I did read your full post and you wrote some great things. Though not all people between 20 and 39 have a VO2 of at least 36, and I think a lot of that has to do with someone's fitness level. I mean obviously most people should have a higher VO2 but everyone is different.

Just like all of those inaccurate weight charts that state certain weights for certain heights. But those charts never factor in things such as muscle contain, body structure, bone mass, or anything of the sort. So regardless of what the "average VO2" is for certain age brackets that is variable. So I don't think anyone should feel bad if their VO2 isn't at the average. Just work out harder. In February when I took the test, I was in a very low percentile. I just worked out harder. For me, I could care less what my VO2 is supposed to be for my age, I do what I have to do to get it higher for my own purposes.

According to a lot of these heart rate charts or what the means at the gym are programed to. My heart rates are higher than they should be for my age. Everyone's body is different. Based on my Cardio point tests at my gym, I just have higher zones. But again, everyone's body is different when it comes to their heart rates. Like I have said, my anabolic Threshold is rather high, at 192. It was 186 in February and May it increased and based on my workouts now. I don't feel winded until I am around 196 or 197, so I think my threshold increased again. In 1 minute of Recovery my HR goes down 30 beats. In 2 minutes its down total of 50. Which is a lot better than it used to be.

Even if you can't get your HRM set up in decent estimates you need to be more attuned to your body. Once you know your body you will actually be able to pick up on your zones easier. Without looking at my HR I know when my body hits my threshold or when I am in the 190s. When I got up to 207 during that run I knew it immediately. Though I didn't stay that high, I know that I don't like it and that's not something I want to continue to push.

Let us know if you do find a gym by you that does the tests and that may do zone training.

I am going to call every gym within 1/2 hour from my house. Since I am not a member anywhere I am not sure if they will do it but I am going to ask them all. I have to get this thing figured out for me because I was so excited to get it and know what I was burning and I am just left disappointed and wondering.

Hopefully I will report back with all the right info and be ready to continue my journey. If nothing else I gained a new friend ;)
  • Douniap
    Options
    the calculation itself:

Yeah, I wish (57).

The only problem with this formula --unless I am misreading it completely--is that you are still depending to some extent on a consistent heart rate response (i.e. HRmax) within the population, and that just doesn't exist. The same HRmax variability (SEE 10-12 bpm) that confounds the HRmax prediction equations would seem to affect this one as well. You could have 2 people of the same weight, same running speed, but different HRmax (and thus different HR at the end of the run) and you would come out with 2 different VO2 max numbers, even though both could have exactly the same actual VO2max.

Your Vo2 Max improves as your fitness level improves and so does your heart rate response. As you know the fitter you are, the faster you recover, etc.. And yes, VO2 is different for different people as we all have different body composition and it will even be different for the same person as it is measured every 6 months or so.
    There is no "fit for all" value that will suit everyone. This is just the equation that will help you have an idea of where you are. Remember that for s male, the frormula start by 108.4.
    the only way to get a very accurate numbers is to be tested at a medical/athletic performance facility. Where you will be connected dirrectly to a machine to measure your oxygen level as you exercise along with your heart rate, and other factors.
    To your health
  • Douniap
    Options

I am going to call every gym within 1/2 hour from my house. Since I am not a member anywhere I am not sure if they will do it but I am going to ask them all. I have to get this thing figured out for me because I was so excited to get it and know what I was burning and I am just left disappointed and wondering.

Hopefully I will report back with all the right info and be ready to continue my journey. If nothing else I gained a new friend ;)

the best place to get an accurate measurement values for you is to find a medical facility with sports medecine, or an athletic performance facility. They will do a full body composition, body fat, HR rates & training zones, VO2Max, etc..
    The cost is around 100 US$ but very much worth since it is custom for you.

to your health
    Dounia
  • Douniap
    Options

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    You are doing fabulous. As you said all that matters is that you are getting healthier and fitter each day. And you can see that reflected in your recovery time and threshold..
    The numbers given per age are just guidelines like anything in life. Just so that we have an idea. at the end of the day, it varies from individual to individual depending on many factors including genetics.
    To your health,
    Dounia
  • fudJy23
    fudJy23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Regarding the VO2 Max testing. I just had that and my resting metabolic rate tested last week. I didn't go to a gym. I had started googling in the local area and stumbled upon a local running site that had a recommendation and I contacted them. From there, I dug around some more and found a sports therapy/rehab center close by that also does sports training and nutrition. They use a system called New Leaf and that was the last search term I had plugged in to search for someone locally who offered it. So, it's not just gyms out there that offer this test. In terms of price, it was $100 for the RMR test and $100 for the VO2 Max test. Then, I had to pay for my mask thing but I can reuse that.

The test was very helpful and very interesting and I'm glad I got it done since my BMR and heart rate zones are both way off from what most formulas told me and it turned out that I was pushing myself way too hard.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    My Vo2 automatically set to 44....would having it set wrong affect the calories burned showed on my HRM following exercise? I thought it was based on my HR.

I'm kicking myself right now because I took an exercise physiology lab class and we did all of the body comp tests and did a Vo2 test as well. That was a year and a half ago and I don't have any of the data anymore.

From what I have learned from my Gym tests and my trainer, your VO2 has a lot to do with how many calories you burn when you are working out. Here is an explanation from one of the Calorie point tests I have done that explains your VO2. My VO2 is now 33 it used to be 24 but with all my working out and zone training it is starting to increase. My heart is in pretty decent shape. My trainer set my watch, so he put all my zones in there. My resting Heart Rate is 60 and Max is 212. With my Threshold for my body being 192. If you actually adjust your VO2 you will notice that your calories burned will decrease. Depending on what zones you are working out in will determine how quickly you will burn calories. So when you are working out in Zone 3 and Zone 4 you will burn more calories because your body is working out a lot harder. But the VO2 determines the rate in which you are burning calories.

Here is the explanation for what VO2.

Your body needs oxygen to burn fat. VO2 stands for the Volume of Oxygen your body absorbs per minute while at rest and when you move. We measure Peak VO2, which is the max amount of oxygen you used during this assessment. Your Peak VO2 measures your heart and lung fitness and is considered the gold standard for determining your exercise potential. How well do you live up to your potential? There are 2 ways to determine this and both are equally important. The first determines how well your engine is tuned and is indicated by the percentage your Threshold VO2 is of your Peak VO2. The closer your Threshold VO2 is to your Peak VO2, the more fit you are. In addition, the higher your Peak VO2, the more fit you are as well.

So I just talked to Polar and am more confused then ever!!
    He said that I should not be set anywhere in the 20's and that from what I told him mine should be set at 35/36. I find that crazy. So I explained what I have on here and he said that I will burn more calories because I have to work harder since I am not use to it. I even posted on the polar forum and was told that "VO2max 32 is already below average - why going even lower". I guess Polar would know since this is their area of expertise but with you being at 33 I just don't get it.

I said wouldn't it be ok to keep it at 26 and then if it is under estimating then even better and he said no because then I would be depriving my body so it needs to be set as accurately as possible.

So he says 35/36
    Rockport test says 32/33
    On here I was told 37 was too high

I guess I will try 32 and see how I do. I will change it now and then start a 1 week challenge. If I still lose then I will leave it and if I stall or gain I will know it is too high.
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    The guy at Polar doesn't know what he is talking about. You don't burn more calories doing the same exercise because you are out of shape compared to when you get fit. It is approximately the same calories assuming you still weigh the same.

Use some setting and then keep track of everything over the next 4 weeks to see if you have been over/under estimating exercise calories based upon predicted vs. actual weght loss.
  • krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree as well, that the polar guy was way off. It doesn't even make sense that its harder to burn calories and you have to work harder when you are out of shape. When you are out of shape, your heart rate actually gets higher faster even if you aren't working out really hard. For me my zones are so high, that i have to bust my butt to get it above 170 into zone 1 and even higher to get to zone 2,3 and 4.