help w/ transition from treadmill to outside running

Options
I have started doing C25K on my treadmill for the simple fact that I am not crazy about trying to do it in public alone. I am on W3D2 and was wondering how hard the transition will be to running outside. I eventually want to run strictly outside unless its raining or freezing. I know that I have heard that treadmill running is a piece of cake compared to outside. Anyone have any advice on how to start or things to do to help with breathing and leg endurance? Thanks!

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, invest in a decent pair of running shoes. You burn significantly more calories in the outside world because of natural variations in the terrain, so you get a better workout. Figure out your route ahead of time and map it. You can use google maps if you like. I prefer Map My Run, which also has a free app, and allows you to plot your routes and download them to your phone. The app can track your pace and give you a breakdown of you average pace per mile and your route, and will tell you how far you've gone.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    First and foremost, invest in a decent pair of running shoes. You burn significantly more calories in the outside world because of natural variations in the terrain, so you get a better workout. Figure out your route ahead of time and map it. You can use google maps if you like. I prefer Map My Run, which also has a free app, and allows you to plot your routes and download them to your phone. The app can track your pace and give you a breakdown of you average pace per mile and your route, and will tell you how far you've gone.

This

Also, just ease into it. Don't worry if you don't reach the distance/time you're used to on the treadmill at first.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I think its harder to adapt from running outside to going to a tred. You will (if you're anything like me) be pleasantly surprised how much more motivation you have running outside since the scenery is changing alot! Also (if you're anything like me) your water intake will sky rocket from the hot sun and extra sweat and you will notice a big change quickly since all your water weigh will vanish!
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the previous posts as well! Take it easy and see how it goes, I agree that it is so much more enjoyable to run outside.. I find that I often max out at 3 miles on the treadmill because I get so bored! but outdoors I can run as long as my legs carry me often 3-5 miles, longer if I am training for a distance race. I also liked mapmyrun.com but I had issues with their app and often had to correct my path on the computer afterwards, since then I have found the running app runtastic and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It does a great job of accurately following my run and it has a coach option that voices your running stats every mile (you can change distance to half mile if you prefer) it tells you the distance traveled, pace and total time. AND the best part about it is you can sync it to your MFP account and it will automatically post your run and calories for you! LOVE it! Also depending on how hot it is and your distance I would recommend investing in a water belt or a hand held water bottle to keep you hydrated. With that said, I hope you enjoy your transition!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself! Just find a pace you're comfortable with and that you can stick with. I use nike's app and really like it. No downloading courses, just uses the GPS in your phone.

As far as a translation between the treadmill and outside....the treadmill is easier on your joints. I just don't like having the same scenery
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started to run outside based on picking visual markers- ie to the end of the block then walk a block.

My sister also taught me that it wasn't a race, it was about endurance- so start slowly and you will probably do the distance, rather than tiring out. After a couple times, then you can look to speeding it up and adding sprints.