Eating those exercise calories back

Options
Hi guys

I'm relatively new to this forum, and would like to know if i have to eat my exercise calories back?
i would like to know if anyone has hit a plateau and heard the "you are eating too few calories" scenario,
and has actually lost weight by eating more?

i have read many things saying starvation mode is a myth? i am too scared to eat more as i am afraid to gain weight.

thanks

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to. It depends on how accurate you calories burned are (heart rate monitor vs. MFP estimates). If you are already in a comfortable deficit, it makes sense to eat most back.

You will reach a plateau eventually, it just comes on faster if you don't eat them.

Starvation mode as people quote it here is rare. It's more metabolic adaptation.

Here is a better explanation:

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2012/12/starvation-mode-revisited.php
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    In the middle of my weight loss journey I dropped my calories down to 1200-1400/day (no extra calories for exercise) and plateaued for two months. After doing some research I finally upped my calories to 1500 and started losing again, and then started losing more at 1700.

Not knowing how much you eat now or how much you exercise, there's no telling whether or not it will work for you. But check out a TDEE calculator like scooby (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) to get a feel for how many calories your body burns in a day.
  • x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I never hit a plateau but for a few months I was just eating 1300 cals and ignoring my exercise cals. I was losing probably 1lb a week but I was miserable. Found the group Eat More To Weigh Less and thought I would give it a go. The first week of eating more the scale said I gained 3lbs but I had been told this could happen and it wasn't a true gain. You need to overeat by 3500 cals to gain 1lb and there is no way I ate that much lol. so I carried on. probably averaging between 1600-1800cals aday, two weeks later I dropped the 3lb gain plus an extra 1.5lbs. I was gobsmacked. since then ive averaged 1700 cals a day and im still losing close to 1lb a week.

If you need anymore advice feel free to message me.
  • jessiefreedman
    jessiefreedman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone

i'm going to try increase my calories (i don't mind) LOL

for interest sake i eat 1200 calories and exercise 5-6days a week, kickboxing, running 4-5km some days, and weight training.
    also not sure how accurate the calorie counting is so i'm skeptical?

my body has not changed at all and i'm frustrated cause i see everyone else eating what they want and so thin and i'm still struggling with the thigh fat...
  • x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    These are the results I got from eating more:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/x4mygirlsx

I would say with that level of exercise you definitely need to eat more then 1200.

What is your height and weight?
  • jessiefreedman
    jessiefreedman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi again

My height is 154cm (5'1) and my weight is 50-51 kg (112pounds) I know I'm not overweight but I have problem areas and a goal in mind to be toned and lean
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In that case you are just burning up muscle mass eating that low.

Be prepared for a fun life of yo-yo dieting, as with less muscle mass you have less room for error in eating more, which will always happen.
    And then you'll do the same thing again and lose more muscle mass.

Very ugly situation to be in as a women, because it'll be very hard for you to build actual muscle, even if you use your existing and get stronger.

You should eat at maintain and only lift weights.

Change the MFP activity level to honest, probably Lightly Active.
    Weight loss goal to maintain.

Log weight lifting workouts, the calorie burn may seem small, but that is true compared to cardio. during the workout anyway.

Be ready for weight to stay the same and inches to drop.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: My dietician ... told me not to eat my calories back ... :ohwell:
  • jennakearney3
    Options
    I'm trying to stick to 1200 cals and doing lots of walking. I don't eat all my calories back but eat some if I'm feeling hungry.