Is Calorie Counting a Sustainable Practice

Options
I have been a member here for awhile and I slowly stopped tracking my calories but didn't stop implementing all of the things that I learned or using the community as my go to for all of my unanswered questions. I just wondered if others have done the same thing or if others are making calorie counting a part of their life with no end in sight.

When I first started I was a die hard tracker watching every little thing that I at and making sure to come and log it in here. As life happened it just didn't seem feasible to stop what I was doing to log my foods. I do feel however that logging my foods made me take a much closer look at what I was eating. In the end I feel that the process of logging was helpful but still don't see how it can be fully sustainable of the long haul.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Since I started my journey I have lost 15lbs so I am very proud of myself although I feel I do have further to go.

here is the pic of when I started...
DSCN24331.jpg

here is the pic after I lost the 15lbs...
DSCN2882.jpg

Hopefully I posted the images currently if not here is the link to all my progress pictures http://motivatingmommy.com . I have been blogging my way through my journey.

Replies

• godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I know that personally, for me, it may have to be a lifelong practice for me to be able to lose and to maintain my weight loss. Since you have more to lose until you reach goal, you may want to consider continuing to track. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail".-quote (don't remember where I heard this).
  • veto1024
    veto1024 Posts: 20
    Options
    I lost 100lb while doing very strict calorie counting. Towards the end I stopped tracking so much and eventually stopped. I think the goal of MFP (in my mind) is to help us UNDERSTAND why we gain/lose weight and to know what foods cause us to gain weight and what lifestyle choices allow us to lose weight. I haven't really tracked in a while and I can pretty much tell when I will gain or lose weight based on what I have eaten. It just kind of becomes a skill :) So no, you don't need to do it forever because it becomes a part of your knowledge base!
  • msvip213
    msvip213 Posts: 9
    Options
    sorry looks like the picture is way to big. not sure how to make it smaller.
  • msvip213
    msvip213 Posts: 9
    Options
    I totally agree with that quote. I do agree I should probably start back at least until I get to my goal weight. I haven't gained any weight since I stopped tracking since nothing changed besides me just not tracking. I still measure my foods out and all of that but just didn't really feel that it was something I could see doing for a really long period of time.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I still have a long way to go before maintaining, but I'll probably continue to track at least part time. I just have a feeling that if I completely give it up I'll end up creeping back up. We'll see if that feeling changes the closer I get to goal though.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I lost 60ish pounds a few years ago by tracking calories and then I stopped tracking. After a while all of the other healthy habits I had instituted to lose that weight disappeared. Now it is 2-1/2 years later and I have gained all my weight back plus a bunch. For me I think it is going to have to be forever. However, I am sure there are lots of people who are much more disciplined than I am.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Portion control is sustainable. So is macro nutrient choice. So is exercise. The key is to understand what and how much you can eat per day and stay within that goal, and then maintaining an active life style that uses energy(exercise regularly to maintain weight loss). Logging every little thing is not important but understanding and being mindful of what you are putting in your mouth is.

After a year of calorie counting you know what a day of proper eating looks like and feels like. For me that is about 1600 calories. I know exactly when I am within that range and when I am way off. Some days I just put in 1600 calories and am done with it because I know I did well. Other days I log it all. Because I just want to be sure I am not slipping up.

Do what works for you but start to be mindful of portions and macro nutrient choices.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting to me. I still have a bit to go and my husband wants me to stop logging my food. I told him I'd try but I am worried I wont have the control. I probably have 16lb ish to go probably more. I don't weigh food as much as I used to but I do weigh the things that could catch me out. Jacket spuds,pasta and cereal for example. Interested to hear other experiences of what happens when you stop logging and is it wise when not at goal.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping NOT to track forever. I've reached my target weight now but still log. I 'think' I can do it without logging but not sure. :laugh:
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting to me. I still have a bit to go and my husband wants me to stop logging my food. I told him I'd try but I am worried I wont have the control. I probably have 16lb ish to go probably more. I don't weigh food as much as I used to but I do weigh the things that could catch me out. Jacket spuds,pasta and cereal for example. Interested to hear other experiences of what happens when you stop logging and is it wise when not at goal.

Why does your husband want you to stop??
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hijack this thread so apologies to anyone who may think that. It's just that my husband thinks tracking leads to obsessive behavior and he knows people who have lost weight on diets where you don't count things. His parents have lost the same amount of weight as me in the same time on Slimming World but I've tried it and can't do unlimited carbs. I think if it aint broke don't fix it so I will carry on for now but I agree that I don't want to log forever.
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I track what I eat on here, but I don't get upset if I am over or under. I know approximately what I need daily, and I can up it a little bit if I am very active. To say I track calories... not so much. I track what I eat, and make sure I don't overeat. I do however think about things like this...

If I want Taco Bell today... all other meals have to be super light or extra nutritious. I can't go and eat Taco Bell then eat pizza later, or vice versa. I have been sedentary for the past 5 weeks since I broke my leg and the first week I gained 5 pounds because I had a pity party... then over the past 4 weeks I lost 7 pounds. If you look at my diary, I am not saint at all, and I am sure I am probably not accurate at all. But I'm taking the effort to think about HOW I eat and not how many calories are in it.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Thinking I learned a lot by logging for the past two years but I still need to log to keep accuracy in check. For me, it's important :glasses:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance tracking successfully for over two years. I find that the foods I eat are pretty consistent and super easy to track so it's no problem for me to take a few minutes out of my day to maintain my awesomeness. :drinker:
  • bunny92441
    bunny92441 Posts: 42
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers for a while and tracked my food and was successful. One day I said to myself, I don't need to log my food any more. I know what I have to do. I didn't work! Slowly, I went right back to the way I was eating before. I have to hold myself accountable for the food I eat and if that means coming in here every day and logging in my food then, so be it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success, you look great!

I think it really depends on the individual. For me, maintaining my weight loss without calorie counting is not an option. At least, not at the moment. I have been (until I reached my goal back in Nov) obese all my adult life, and overweight since I was a child. I've never had a healthy relationship with food, and don't have ingrained healthy habits to fall back on. Of course, I've learned a lot in 18 months on MFP, and I think I have a really good, balanced diet now. For me though, it's not just about knowing how many calories are in things, I need the actual process of tracking my food in order to hold myself accountable. It's a psychological thing. I have been an emotional/compulsive eater for decades, and calorie counting helps me keep that under control. If I stop logging, I tend to get stressed out about eating and old habits kick in. I will either eat compulsively, or under-eat in an attempt not to get out of control. Even though it seems strange to a lot of people around me, calorie counting actually makes me a lot more relaxed and flexible around food. I don't need to be perfect; I'm not bothered if I go a little over or a little under, because it all balances out. Stop tracking, and I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. Hopefully one day I can let the tracking go a bit, but for now, logging everything is what I need to do.

At the same time, I suppose I'm lucky in that I don't mind the calorie counting. It's not a chore. I'm a bit of a geek about numbers, and I like routine, so I'm quite happy to take a few minutes out of the day to plan meals and log them.

Of course, everyone's different, and if someone can use calorie counting to lose the weight and develop healthier habits, and then go it alone... to me, that's the ideal scenario. I think this is easier for people who have had a significant period of their life where they maintained a healthy weight naturally without any interventions. Finding somewhere in between is good too - you can always decide to track one week on, one week off, or only track during the week, or only weigh the things you're unsure of. Or, stop tracking, and keep an eye on your weight. If your weight goes out of a range that you're comfortable with, start tracking again. There are endless ways of being more flexible about it, and flexibility is a good thing. :smile:
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I feel like as I track I am changing the way that I eat and when I am done losing weight I will hopefully continue to keep eating the way I eat now (protien and fiber at the top of my mind rather than carbs!) I feel as though I will not need, nor want to log every day, but I will comitt to logging once a fortnight, or once every 3 weeks so as to keep tabs on how I am doing (not so much calorie wise but more am I eating enough protien, Calcium, fiber, vit C ect). I will probably do this for 6 months to a year before I decide to stop.

Many people try to step away from MFP and have wound up gaining back the weight - Knowing that this happens means I can put in place measures to help myself recognize it and combat it. Eg when my fav jeans start feeling a bit tight, maybe I need to jump back on mfp for a week or two and see where I am overeating.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hijack this thread so apologies to anyone who may think that. It's just that my husband thinks tracking leads to obsessive behavior and he knows people who have lost weight on diets where you don't count things. His parents have lost the same amount of weight as me in the same time on Slimming World but I've tried it and can't do unlimited carbs. I think if it aint broke don't fix it so I will carry on for now but I agree that I don't want to log forever.
    I can understand that. For most people, tracking food and calorie counting is not normal behaviour. I think it definitely can lead to obsessive behaviour, and of course it is a feature of many eating disorders. That's not to say you should stop though. SW is not a perfect solution either. I can think of lots of people in my personal life who have spent years going to SW or Weight Watchers on and off, losing the weight, then gaining it back. On and off The Wagon. And they do count things anyway! WW has points, SW has "syns" - it's not that different really, it's just simplified. If tracking your food is working for you, then keep doing it, just be mindful that it can lead to obsessive behaviour, and try to be as relaxed about it as you can. Having the odd day off here or there will probably help with that.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on your success! U look great :-)

For me I have to log or I go nuts it's like a control thing. If I log I stay accountable I stay on track when I don't I eat everything in sightn it's a downward spiral from there... Seems like aa problem
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have gone back and forth with calorie counting for years. The upshot, for me, is that even though I know what 1500 calories worth of food per day looks like and what sizes the portions should be, if I don't log (and weigh/measure at least some things) there is a "creep" factor. My portions get bigger, I forget about things I've eaten for the day, stuff like that. The only way it really works for me in the long run is to log (and weigh myself regularly). This is obviously not a hard and fast rule about what it takes to succeed, but it seems to be a good general guideline for me personally to succeed and I imagine it's probably true for lots of other people too.