c25k treadmill transition to road (help)

Options
I have started doing C25K on my treadmill for the simple fact that I am not crazy about trying to do it in public alone. I am on W3D2 and was wondering how hard the transition will be to running outside. I eventually want to run strictly outside unless its raining or freezing. I know that I have heard that treadmill running is a piece of cake compared to outside. Anyone have any advice on how to start or things to do to help with breathing and leg endurance? Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am on WK3 Day3 which I tried to do tonight but couldn't finish because of the heat so I will attempt it again on Friday. This is the first time it's actually been HOT outside and that might be a problem for me. I enjoy the outside but have to slow my pace at the first 3 min run because it starts as I approach the hill! Calves burn on that one! This might sound crazy but invest in good socks-I have the Thorlo brand I found at Sports Authority and they are amazing but not cheap-also get a good pair of running shoes-I have Nike Free5.0 and very happy with them. Last bit of advice from me is don't worry about anyone else. Run because it makes you feel good! You might even inspire someone else in the process!!! Good luck!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Back when I started running and was ~50 lbs heavier, I was very self conscious about running outside, so I did almost all of it on a treadmill for the first couple of months. Then I signed up for my first 5k and it forced me out onto the road. I hate the treadmill now :)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't say the treadmill is necessarily "easier", its not a black and white argument. I will say that there's fewer variables when using the treadmill. Road terrain, extreme heat/humidity, sun beating down on you, real hills, wind are some of the obvious ones. The hardest transition I found was learning to keep a specific pace when you don't have a treadmill pulling the "ground" beneath your feet at a set speed. Oddly enough, I actually run slower on a treadmill now, and my perceived effort on a treadmill is higher than when I'm outside. I thinks it's just the lack of changing scenery and conditions which make it more monotonous and less enjoyable for me now.

That being said, you can still build a good base with a treadmill, and I still rely on them during the worst of the winter weather.

Best of luck!
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Having the treadmill at 1% incline will make it more "real" compared to running outside. Can you start just doing one of your weekly sessions outside?
  • changergirl
    Options
    I actually just did the opposite. Ran outside for the first 6 1/2 weeks and then moved indoors and onto a treadmill because it got too hot out. I'm actually finding it to be a lot more difficult running on the treadmill than when I was running outside. I think it's mainly because I keep trying to run faster than my body can go. I haven't been able to finish 1 day since moving inside.
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Running outside is so much better than running on a tredmill. Lots of fresh air, get to look at the scenery and its a great opportunity to clear your head. When I am really stressed I go for a run outside. Don't feel self conscious, who cares what people say/think, you are dedicating time to your body and health so SCREW THEM!

Do it today. Good luck :)
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I find it a lot easier to run outside. Even stopping at lights and road crossings, I always do a quicker time outside then on the treadmill! Go out, give it a go, you might find it difficult at first but you need to work out what works for you.

Good luck!
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any suggestions for you with the transition, but I do want to say, don't worry too much about running outside being harder - I run outside, then the other day I went to the gym and tried running on the treadmill and it seemed much harder to me. So I think its just what your used to - I'm sure once you have run outdoors a few times, you will get used to it and it will be just as easy as the treadmill.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Make sure you invest in a good pair of running shoes before hitting the streets. You need a lot more support on real world surfaces. Also, take the time to find a running app you like (I like Map My Run, others like Runtastic) to map out your routes before you go so you don't get lost or confused.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Back when I started running and was ~50 lbs heavier, I was very self conscious about running outside, so I did almost all of it on a treadmill for the first couple of months. Then I signed up for my first 5k and it forced me out onto the road. I hate the treadmill now :)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't say the treadmill is necessarily "easier", its not a black and white argument. I will say that there's fewer variables when using the treadmill. Road terrain, extreme heat/humidity, sun beating down on you, real hills, wind are some of the obvious ones. The hardest transition I found was learning to keep a specific pace when you don't have a treadmill pulling the "ground" beneath your feet at a set speed. Oddly enough, I actually run slower on a treadmill now, and my perceived effort on a treadmill is higher than when I'm outside. I thinks it's just the lack of changing scenery and conditions which make it more monotonous and less enjoyable for me now.

That being said, you can still build a good base with a treadmill, and I still rely on them during the worst of the winter weather.

Best of luck!

pretty much this^^ exactly.

Once you go outside you will never go back :) The hardest thing to learn to do is to pace yourself, that is the downfall to starting on a treadmill because it does the pacing for you. Most likely you will start out running WAY to fast, then not be able to finish ..this happens to I would say almost everyone starting out running. Just automatically start SLOW, think, I could walk faster than this slow :) just to get yourself use to running outside, then speed up as you feel comfortable.