Many light reps or few heavy reps?

Options
AnsiStar
AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
Hey guys, I've been weight lifting a while and I know part of my problem is that I don't eat enough (ED recovery). Though saying that I make sure I get plenty of protein.
But I was wondering what is better for building muscle. Many reps with a lighter weight or just a few reps with a heavier weight? Can you explain the reasoning behind it?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am going to say Heavy weights low reps for the simple reason of time.

if you can perform the same action with weight "a" 25 times before it gets too hard i reason that at least the first 10 reps were so easy that they offered very little muscle building opportunity.

so increase weight "a" to the point where you can do 15 reps but you know what the first 5 - 8 were probably alright and not doing that much to build.

So increase it again so that you can only do say 8 reps now you are talking... each rep is going to be a challenge and work your muscles, cause the micro tears and build strength.

Ramp it up a notch again. If you can only do 3-5 reps each one is going to count.

I (loosely) follow the stronglifts 5X5 program. When i started i followed it to the letter but as time got on and i was lifting heavier and heavier and the number of warm up set increased dramatically i altered elements to fit the scant 1 hour training window i have before work.

A bunch of people will no doubt follow saying that you cant build muscle on a deficit and they are probably right but you don't need to listen to that right now given your circumstances.

Focus on getting well and getting strong
  • AnsiStar
    Options
    Well I've managed to get my calories up enough for my body to start getting muscle again (thank god. Losing my muscle was the worst!) so I think I'm ready to kick it up a notch anyhow :)

Your advice is absolutely brilliant thank you! So I should aim to do 5 sets of 5 or say 3-4 of 8 on a heavier weight? Well it's a workout day today focussing on pushing. My trainer/nurtritionist has me doing 3x15 but I can't do very heavy because by about 10 my body's giving up on it a bit. I would MUCH rather do fewer heavier ones so I'll give it a go tonight. This is the workout I'm least good at (other 2 are legs and pull-which I'm absolutely fine with) and I never feel like I've done anything when I finish
  • sylo1609
    sylo1609 Posts: 36
    Options
    I prefer rather low weight & high reps, don't wanna put too much pressure on my joints.
  • JamesDanek
    Options
    Good Luck

Make sure you do a few warm up sets first! don't just go straight to heavy!

sets of 5 reps increasing in weight to a working weight is essential

As far as reps and sets are concerned i prefer 3 to 5 reps for 3 to 5 sets but others say sets of 8 its personal preference
  • AnsiStar
    Options
    What would you recommend for a warm up?

Is it just an initial one or a warm up for each different exercise?
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I prefer rather low weight & high reps, don't wanna put too much pressure on my joints.

With proper form, and if you "ease into it" this is not really a concern.
  • JamesDanek
    Options
    I warm up for each exercise by doing a couple of sets at a lower weight.

say for example my overhead press, I will do a set of 5 with an empty olympic bar (20kg)
    then i add 10kg do another 5 reps
    add another 10kg another 5
    add 5kg do 5 (starting to feel it)
    add 5 more (working weight) do my reps and sets with a 2 to 3 break in between each.

the Warm ups i don't rest between, just the time to load the weight. Naturally the number of warmups depends on the working weight. my squats are currently at about 110kg so i currently end up doing about 6 3-5 sets just to warm up to the weight but i can blast through them pretty quickly allowing me to focus on the working weight.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    To build muscle you need to eat enough and to lift heavy 6-12 reps at least 3 sets. reason cos that whats works.
  • AnsiStar
    Options
    I warm up for each exercise by doing a couple of sets at a lower weight.

say for example my overhead press, I will do a set of 5 with an empty olympic bar (20kg)
    then i add 10kg do another 5 reps
    add another 10kg another 5
    add 5kg do 5 (starting to feel it)
    add 5 more (working weight) do my reps and sets with a 2 to 3 break in between each.

the Warm ups i don't rest between, just the time to load the weight. Naturally the number of warmups depends on the working weight. my squats are currently at about 110kg so i currently end up doing about 6 3-5 sets just to warm up to the weight but i can blast through them pretty quickly allowing me to focus on the working weight.

Really great information, thanks a lot! :)