My hair is falling out

Options
2»

Replies

• dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Lose v Loose - extra o is a hemorrhoid and hemorrhoids are never tight!

Sorry. Back to the topic at hand.
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you're really concerned take the advice of everyone here and see you're doctor.

I thought I was losing too much hair too but I noticed, after checking hair in the shower, that the fallen pieces had no root meaning it wasn't hair loss but hair breakage. Basically I had weak hair. After some research I started taking an omega-3 fatty acid supplement in combination with a conditioner to help repair and strengthen weak hair. A lot less hair in the shower now. Another side effect of omega-3 is my finger nails are stronger and grow faster too.

Be sure that if you tie your hair in a pony that it's a loose pony. Try not to brush your hair very often, to touch up use your fingers or a wide tooth comb.

Hope this helps.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    It could also be as simple as the changing weather. I shed like crazy when summer hits and I think it's just my body trying to keep itself cooler, haha. I have a ton of thick, long hair though so it's only noticeable to me.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Try topically applying lavendar and clary sage oils (make certain you are using theraputic grade oils from a trusted company and diluting as appropriate for the oil, when it comes to good quality oils you get what you pay for, I use doTERRA - but I also sell it so I have a biased opinion based upon my own research). Also, I find that a diet including healthy fats derived from avocado, fish, and nuts helps with my hair growth and thickness (as well as nails). I would recommend increasing your caloric intake by 200 calories.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    It could be a number of things, so it would be hard to tell you - though if you keep noticing it happening, definitely ask your doctor, if you are able to. There were two times in my life when I kept losing my hair. One time was do to extreme stress (sometimes we don't really understand just how stressed we actually are) and the other time was when I was severely malnourished. It might likely be the latter, but am obviously not qualified to tell you what nutrients you're missing. Good luck and i hope you figure it out soon! I know how frustrating this is.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Before taking anything everyone above is telling you to take. dont....

Go to t docs, get a blood exam and let the doctor tell you what macro and micro nutrients you are lacking.
  • Elby0030
    Elby0030 Posts: 32
    Options
    your hair loss may contribute to your overall weight loss so it could be a good thing ..
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Other than a nutrient deficiency are u washing your hair after workouts, sweat causes hair to fall out if not washed.
  • SunSmellsTooLoud
    Options
    When I was having excessive hair loss I went to the doctor. He told me it's a very common symptom of having a slow thyroid. I got my blood tested and sure enough, he was correct. I was put on synthroid. My hair loss lessoned as he kept upping my dosage. We finally found the right dosage for me and my hair loss stopped - well, became normal again. Go see your doctor! :)
  • mrmaxpowers
    Options
    I've known a few people who have gone through this and it was because a lack of protein in their diet.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Malnourishment is a possibility at any caloric intake. Make sure you have a good base of vegetables in your diet. Hair loss can be associated with metal issues such as iron. If it continues, as others have recommended, see a doctor.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Before taking anything everyone above is telling you to take. dont....
    ^this

Anyone on here can tell you to take this, eat that, increase calories, turn round and round and shake your left foot...only your doctor will be able to determine what you should or shouldn't do, so they are your best bet. Tell them everything.
  • amys1410
    amys1410 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started to experience hair loss that seemed excessive to me a couple of years ago, I went to my hairdresser and she said I was pregnant and it was hormonal! I went to see my dr and turns out she was right! A friend of mine that experienced even more hairloss ended up having alopecia - she used nioxin shampoo with great success.
    I would recommend seeing your dr, good luck :)
  • Nataliieexo
    Nataliieexo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started to experience hair loss that seemed excessive to me a couple of years ago, I went to my hairdresser and she said I was pregnant and it was hormonal! I went to see my dr and turns out she was right! A friend of mine that experienced even more hairloss ended up having alopecia - she used nioxin shampoo with great success.
    I would recommend seeing your dr, good luck :)

Thats weird i had my cards read yesterday and i was told i will be having a new arrival to my home she didn't say when and i am skeptical with things like that i thought maybe someone in my house would get a pet but pregnancy isn't an impossibility for me either lol i suppose it could be many things but i will go to the doctors as soon as i can get a appointment and see whats going on.
  • Nataliieexo
    Nataliieexo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone i will see a doctor as soon as i can get a appointment my doctors is terrible for trying to get a appointment though.
  • jellyjojo
    jellyjojo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi Natalie

Thanks for posting this- i've been losing so much hair (for a couple of years now eep!) So much so , that it wraps around my fingers when i was it :sad:

i never really thought much of it- other than joking to my other half that i'll be bald by forty!!

My mum has very thin hair so I assumed it was a genetic/age thing, however- in light of this thread I will be getting myself off to the Docs and as others have suggested - you should do the same :smile:
  • DeenerN
    DeenerN Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree I would see a doctor; I had a thyroid issue and my hair was coming out in handfuls!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just want to add that I experienced hair loss for a month. It was falling out in clumps. I had all the tests and everything was normal, my diet was healthy and not low calorie. The hair loss, for me, was from a very specific life stress (ptsd). I was not anemic, but my iron was somewhat low, so my doctor supervised me taking iron supplements and iron foods for 4 months or so. Now, my iron is high (but not close to being too high), and I take iron twice a week and continue to get tested. I also took silica gel for 6 months. And I take a multivitamin, biotin, b-vitamins, fish oil, vitamin d.

I went to the hairdresser. She gave me a protein treatment, every six weeks, for a few occasions. I am taking good care of my hair, health, nutrition, and managing stress a lot better. My hair loss stopped and is growing back in. The new hair is 4 inches long now. Growing very fast, actually.