Working towards kidney donation

Options
I recently found out I am that same blood type as someone close to me that needs a kidney transplant. I talked to the living donor coordinator yesterday and I can go ahead with testing, which will happen in the next week or two. She told me I should probably lose 20 pounds before surgery could happen. I've been working out for 2 months already, I'm going to get Jillian Michael's 30 day shred & start that today, adding that to my regular work out routine. Does anyone have any HEALTHY weight loss tips or dieting tips that will help me quickly reach my goal? Thanks in advance!! :)

Edited: Due to run on sentence! LOL sorry!

Replies

• IDontLikeRegistering
    IDontLikeRegistering Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here's one that just worked for me: Tell your hairdresser you're dieting. If you see them once every six weeks, they should notice the difference. Give them permission to give you a hard time if they don't see a significant change in weight between appointments.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    CupcakesAndRazorblades Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    That's amazing of you to do :) There need to be more people like you in the world!
  • sandym1988
    sandym1988 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    IDontLikeRegi- that's a great idea! I see my hair dresser every 6 weeks or so, she should definitely be able to give me feedback. thanks!

Cupcakesandrazorblades - thank you, I was pretty scared before I made the decision. I'm not even 100% positive the person knows I'm getting tested. I just hope I can lose the recommended 20 pounds :)
  • DisneyLuvnGal
    Options
    First I'd like to say how awesome it is that you are getting tested. I received my kidney from a live donor and they literally saved my life! I can never thank them enough, what an amazing thing to do!

I'd work on checking your macros and maybe fiddling with them a bit. Other than that maybe cut out some carbs? Also don't beat yourself up if you aren't able to lose the full20lbs. A lot of transplant clinics will work with you anyway as long as all your other tests come back fine. :)
  • sandym1988
    sandym1988 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that you & your live donor are ok :) I absolutely LOVE carbs, that's probably how I became overweight in the first place lol but I'm going to start eating lower carb foods & watch my sugar intake. Thank you for your advice :smile: