Does myfitnesspal really work? Please help :-)

Options
Hi Everyone

I'm very new to this, never calorie counted in my life, I've always done weightwatchers which is pointed but just lately becoming quite bored of it and have read lot's of success stories on the net about people who calorie count.

Does this really work?

Kel
x

Replies

• kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Well, the act of calorie counting itself does not make you lose weight. It does, however, help make you more aware of what you're consuming and how many calories you should be eating each day. For some, it helps a lot, others find it a nuisance. I personally find it quite beneficial and it definitely helps keep me accountable. Good luck :)
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't work. You do.

But yes, MFP is an awesome tool to help you get where you want to be and STAY THERE.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It does help. Consume less calories than you are burning= loose weight . It's all about calories!
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    it keeps me in check, having the ability to see what I am consuming and energy used is really helpful at seeing why I wasnt losing weight before. works with me!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't work. You do.

But yes, MFP is an awesome tool to help you get where you want to be and STAY THERE.

Quoting because you beat me to it.:smile:
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I began using MFP on June 3. I watch my calories and start every morning looking at success stories for motivation. In 10 days I've unofficially (as Saturdays are my weigh in days) lost 9 lbs! However, its not just calorie counting. I also began the 30 day challenge for some strength training.
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use MFP as well as following WW. All programmes work if you stick with them but if you're getting bored of WW have a look at what you are eating and try and change it up because the principles of both WW and MFP are the same- calories in v calories out.

Good luck!
  • Maddie_Price
    Options
    I see Weightwatchers as basically simplified calorie counting- 1 point is about 40 calories, ish, then they anticipate you'll get about 300 calories from free fruit and veg, bringing you to around 1500 cals/day plus anything you earn, so yes calorie counting can work, if you're prepared to log what you eat and keep track then it'll work for you :) I think it's more clear and you have more control counting calories than with WW :)
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Yes it does! Also, the forums are full of great information. Have transformed myself by being here.
  • meredithkrueger
    Options
    It is great for logging and visualizing what you are doing. AND, it's FREE!!!!!!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    It works if you do it right.
    Get a food scale. And make sure you don't over estimate your calorie burns (you may want to consider getting a heart rate monitor).
  • Maddie_Price
    Options
    re- more control I mean that one WW point is not always the same amount of calories as it's rounded up/down, but a calorie is always a calorie.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it works. I've been on here since January and am coming up on 60lbs lost. More importantly I'm 2 dress sizes down and going.

Follow the calorie intake, eat healthy foods, move your body and you're going in the right direction.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. We've got a great network of people on here :-)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    yes it works..but it isn't easy for me. I've always liked diet plans where I cut certain foods out and exercise and just lose weight without counting calories.

the problem is I always gained it back..not because of the diet (which were healthy) but because i had my head stuck in the sand about the science of food and the body.

With mfp you are forced to realize the relationship of calories in..and calories out. As I've been tracking since the beginning of the year.. I have not lost much at all.. only because when i stopped a few times ..I'd gain back my progress. But when i track. my calories on mfp... i slowly lose.

Right now.. I'm dedicated to tracking and exercising for a good long stretch to see how it goes. I don't want to be a lifetime dieter. I'd rather just figure out what I can eat to be the size I want.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    MFP works if you're willing to work with it! Log everything and have fun!
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It's helped me get over my plateaus, TWICE. If you're honest with yourself in logging, exercise, etc. it'll help you get where you want. I feel like it's really opened my eyes to what's really in the food out there, and has made me more wary of what I eat. I think it's been great for me thus far :)
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, weight loss is 40% knowledge, 30% self-discipline and 30% determination. The biggest key, for me at least, is knowledge and that's where MFP comes in. If you're aware of what you're putting into your body and the calorie content of the food you eat, chances are you're going to make better decisions. MFP is a great tool (especially the app!) for tracking what you eat. Studies have shown that simply keeping a food journal can greatly increase your odds of success. Do I think MFP works?! Absolutely! And I'm proof :smile: Please feel free to read my success story!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/979204-lost-50lbs-now-i-m-a-success-story-too-very-pic-heavy Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    MFP really starts to shine when you use it as a planning tool. With few exceptions, I plan my entire next day's meals the night before. There are always some adjustments as the day progresses, but it keeps me honest and on target.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't work. All results seen on this site are to the placebo effect.

j/k of course it work. But you have to work more.
  • AbigailClarke48
    Options
    Agree with others - I go on and off MFP as needed. My goal is to not need it.
    Just a thought - when I was not careful about measuring I stopped losing. Measure - like magic - it goes down.
    Good luck!! Hope that if MFP isn't the way for you that you find that works for you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!