"NO CARDIO rule, or NO more than 20-30 mins of CARDIO"???

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    popcorn_2.gif

Office pool won, once again.

Over/Under on how many people post how awesome cardio is without reading the article and seeing it says cardio has its place and do what you want?
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    "Option 3: Do What You Want" is the most important point made in that article. If you enjoy running for more than 30 minutes, on a treadmill, while catching up with your favorite tv show, do it.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That article, for a change, was actually pretty fair.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    That article, for a change, was actually pretty fair.
    I agree, that's quite fair. It all depends on your goal. If your goal is purely to build muscle, then cardio is not that important. If your goal is endurance then you can't do it by lifting weights alone.

I fall somewhere in the middle, I want a decent physique (not necessarily Ahnold-grade) and the ability to run 1.5 miles in 11 minutes.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The last statement is spot on. Thanks for sharing this.

"Enjoy what you do, train to get better at it, and don't hate on other people for following their passions. Just follow yours."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's a good article.

Except I always wonder why these articles are so insulting, pedantic, patronizing, and just plain immature?

I lift. Always have.
    I run (and/or ride). For different reasons.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    If your goal is purely to build muscle, then cardio is not that important.

Cardio is always important. What will vary is the amount of cardio work each person will do, as the article mentions.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Fully agree. Now the research is starting to show that HIIT cardio is more effective than LISS cardio.

I am in the middle now. I don't LOVE cardio, but I do it. I do 12 mins HIIT after a sessio because: It feels good to get the heart pump after lifting, and it helps increase my weekly deficit, and improves my stamina.

When bulk again though my only cardio will be weights, I might throw in a run like twice a month to keep up stamina but for the most part it will be severely reduced.
  • evelynfarmer
    evelynfarmer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for clarifying that you read what I read. I got RIPPED by this guy who is training to be a fitness trainer and building muscle about my 45 mins of fasted cardio on the elliptical yesterday and he SHOVED this article in my face. I feel like I have to lose the fat first which is why I do cardio, and THEN I will build muscle and work the weights more/HIIT training ect. I also want to someday in my life (bucket list) run a half marathon, so pretty much I'm just gonna ignore all of this and keep doing what I have been doing all along. I am seeing results, and I think that is pretty much all that matters. (SMILE).
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    "Option 3: Do What You Want" is the most important point made in that article. If you enjoy running for more than 30 minutes, on a treadmill, while catching up with your favorite tv show, do it.

I agree, and that is exactly what I do enjoy.