For the millionth time...

Options
2»

Replies

• sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options

HIIT is the best form of cardio rather than steady state (running). You only need about 20 minutes 2 times a week of HIIT in order to get great results.

For my 3 miles I usually do intervals of (an example, because I'm wishy washy) 6.6 on 3% incline to 7.3 on 1.5% to 5.5 on 6%, can I consider this HIIT?
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that says strength training has to involve lifting weights. You can do exercises using your own body weight. Here's a good beginner session:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

By the way, I would also count this as cardio.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Both cardio and strength training are good and necessary. Cardio gets your heart pumping, blood flowing, and helps you really burn calories. Weight lifting helps with building muscle and toning (which generally makes clothing fit better and makes people look better even if the scale still reads the same). Muscle burns more at rest than fat does, so having muscle is beneficial. Everyone on here has a different opinion about what you should/shouldn't do, but for the average person, most health websites recommend an absolute MINIMUM of 2.5 hours of cardio a week (about 30 minutes a day, five days a week) and at least 30 minutes of strength training two days a week.

I wish I could help with the other two questions, but I don't know enough about heavy lifting or the TDEE calculations to advise anyone. Good luck! :-)
  • sarantonio
    Options
    There's no rule that says strength training has to involve lifting weights. You can do exercises using your own body weight. Here's a good beginner session:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

By the way, I would also count this as cardio.

Thank you! This is EXACTLY what I was after. I don't want to go to a gym, so I'm slowly buying my home equipment, and I need something for "the meantime".
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I am far from an expert, and fairly new to any sort of routine, but I recently completed a half marathon, so the 6 months preceding this event were ALL CARDIO (running, biking – anything to help me build toward being able to move quickly for 2 hours.) It was great and did great things for my body.

In the two and a half weeks since, I’ve added in resistance training. I do the workouts on dailyhiit.com (they’re in my price range – FREE! (not an ad)) and some P90X, as well as the cardio and the difference has been AMAZING. I’ve already lost 1 inch off of my waist and 1.5 inches from my hips.

In my humblest of opinions, it pays to mix it up. It helps fight boredom, it works different muscle groups and it’s fun to challenge yourself in different ways.

Also, I’ve seen it posted so many times – and it’s true – anything is better than nothing. The key is to keep at it. You’ll get where you want to be.

GOOD LUCK!

Just started the workouts on dailyhiit.com a few days ago! I LOVE it and highly recommend it as well!

I also walk on the treadmill about 50 minutes a day and do 10 minutes of weight training. I'm on the driving range at least 4 times a week also. Whatever you do, just make sure you change it up so it doesn't get stale and repetitive...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you guys. I only have one more question. Do we consider workout videos like 30DS strength training or cardio? An example of my week is

videos like 30DS are cardio program using light weights. This is more about endurance, like cardio than it is strength training. To get the benefits of strength training you should be training with a heavy enough weight where you can only complete 3-12 reps with good form. 3-6 rep range are more geared for strength, whereas 7-12 more muscle building, but in a deficit both will work to retain the muscle you already have.
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    Ok. You want to lose weight. You also probably want to become fit. Different goals entirely, although they can be achieved at the same time.

Why is it always strength VS. cardio? Strength AND cardio. Strength builds muscle, which in turn burns more calories at rest, lowers blood pressure, and increases your ability to open difficult jars. Cardio torches calories quickly, is amazing for your cardiovascular system, gives you endorphins, and increases endurance (and makes walking up many flights of stairs a happier activity).

Find a strength training program you like and do it (I like stronglifts 5x5, pistol squats, and pushups).
    Find a cardio activity that you like and do it (I love to run, but there are a plethora of other activities that get your heart rate up).

If you get bored, change something.

I've also noticed that since I've added in more strength training, my running speed and endurance has increased. Stronger legs = being able to run better. Who woulda thought... :)
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I lift.

Yes, you can start doing body weight training. I lost a lot of strength when I just did just cardio. And yes, I still do cardio and I still love it. But I love my weights too. Do both! :drinker:

Also, I don't follow a specific regimen. i split into muscle groups. It is what you feel most comfortable doing.

Ad yes, for the TDEE calculators, I would stick to MFP and eat back your exercise calories because it is so different.

Good luck with your journey!
  • carriespence1
    carriespence1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Do both for sure. I love the way the combo makes me look and feel. Lifting heavy means heavy for you. For some that does mean body weight. Anything do the heaviest you can do and still be able to do say 3 sets of 12 and that last lift be super hard- I have found by adding weights I can run even harder and longer. The 2 together = power and endurance. Who doesn't want that? :-)
  • emibrus1
    emibrus1 Posts: 59
    Options
    I lift for 90% of my exercise but toss in cardio for the 10% left. Do both! But don't assume cardio is JUST running (which I hate with all my heart xD). Look into HIIT training or "cardio sports". I personally enjoy racquetball once a week at the moment...not once during the hour I'm playing do I wonder how much longer I have to last...it's just fun! Things like soccer, tennis, and basketball are pretty popular too. I just can't stand running a track or treadmill @_@
  • sarantonio
    Options
    I loooove running. I suck at it, but I love it (just did my first 5k 27:08 woot woot! :drinker: ) But I maybe over-read into the whole running makes your butt fall off thing.. I like my muscles, I want to keep them. I guess I'm gonna have to head down to the book store and find NROLFW or Stronglift(s?) 5x5... any others I should pick up while I'm out?
  • Deb_RN_CDE_NP
    Options
    I would absolutely agree. It seems that the body gets used to the same old thing so it isn't as effective. Mixing it up during the week would help prevent that.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

HIIT is the best form of cardio rather than steady state (running). You only need about 20 minutes 2 times a week of HIIT in order to get great results.

For my 3 miles I usually do intervals of (an example, because I'm wishy washy) 6.6 on 3% incline to 7.3 on 1.5% to 5.5 on 6%, can I consider this HIIT?

anything that you do at 85-100% effort then lower it to 60-85% effort would be considered HIIT. So if that 6.6 doesn't really challenge your heart but then the 7.3 does and you do those in intervals then, yes.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you guys. I only have one more question. Do we consider workout videos like 30DS strength training or cardio? An example of my week is

Mon- 3 mile run
    Tues-Kickboxing (video)
    Wed- Pilates
    Thurs- 3 mile run
    Fri- 30DS

I'm not very consistent with my workouts, I do something almost every day, but its rarely in any kind of order and its rare that I do the same routine 2x's in one week.

But I really don't know if that is considered "strength (or resistance) training. I feel like I should be lifting real weight. Is this any good? Or should I maybe change something? (Ive been stuck at 160ish for a month now, however to be fair, my eating has sucked big time lately)

cardio, but "circuit training" is the official category for most of JM's DVDs. it is not really strength training unless you're using 5lb or 10lb weights (even then, you'll grow stronger and outgrow them in a week or two)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I loooove running. I suck at it, but I love it (just did my first 5k 27:08 woot woot! :drinker: ) But I maybe over-read into the whole running makes your butt fall off thing.. I like my muscles, I want to keep them. I guess I'm gonna have to head down to the book store and find NROLFW or Stronglift(s?) 5x5... any others I should pick up while I'm out?

Stronglifts isn't a book, but plenty of info if you Google it. A similar program that has a book is Starting Strength.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Cardio=Good
    Strength Training = Good
    Cardio + Strength Training = Better and/or Best

Your going to get the best overall results by combining cardio with strength training. In reality weight loss is 80% diet. You can lose weight by just creating a caloric deficit. You won't get stronger or be toned. Cardio will burn calories and strengthen your heart and lungs and you will see improvements in your muscle tone. Strength Training will build/maintain muscle (which burns more calories) and shape your body.

Lift Heavy = Good

Be realistic. You're going to have to build up to it. If you haven't been lifting then starting with a large weight is likely to cause injury. Start light and learn proper form and as you get stronger add more weight. You WILL NOT GET BULKY.

:flowerforyou:

Seriously. I LOVE it when common sense shows up on this site. I just left one thread that made me want to off myself.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Both for a beautiful sculpted, fit, strong healthy body. I agree with the posts regarding body weight. I run and do bootcamp classes. Bootcamp classes incorporate both free weights (bars, kettles and dumbbells) but even more body weight traditional and nontraditional calesthenics. Do different things on different days and mix it up as best as you can to find what works for you.

Personally, I run/jog at least 30 minutes 2-3 days a week and do alternating 3 days of 45-55 minute bootcamp classes. I've seen signficant phyiscal improvement/strength/sclupt and weight loss in the past 3 years. I am not a gym rat and find it boring, but it took me a while to figure that out.

Stay with MFP for the long run and eat clean.

Physical fitness, much like nutrion, is a lifestyle and continous journey--enjoy it!
  • sarantonio
    Options

Stronglifts isn't a book, but plenty of info if you Google it. A similar program that has a book is Starting Strength.

Oofa. :huh: Thanks!