Curves?

Options
2»

Replies

• Patriots96
    Patriots96 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Agree completely! (see my reply to this post)
  • Tbuttrfly79
    Tbuttrfly79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is a good starting point I suppose but it gets to easy and boring very quickly
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you work at it - you have results but it gets boring and can become a social thing with a lot of women barely moving (except their mouths/gossip)
  • tizmi
    tizmi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been going to Curves since late March and I've lost almost 20lb doing that and watching my calories, plus walking now that I have my FiBit.

The one I go to uses the Smart system, which uses a barcode-tag to tell the machine how fast you should be working and keeps you working harder as time goes on. I don't know if the 'up to 500 calorie' claims are accurate, but I seem to be doing OK and have lost a good few inches in just a couple of months.

It can be expensive though (the exact price varies from gym to gym), and I can see how the circuit can get boring after a while - perhaps use it as a kick-start into exercise which is what I'm doing. I don't want to go for too long - it's a franchise, so while much of the money may stay with the owner of the site, I have read bad things about the founder of the Curves gyms and I don't want them to get more of my money than necessary.

On the other hand, I like having someone but me keeping an eye on how I'm doing with the measurement days once a month/every 12 visits. The one I go to has ladies of various sizes and ages, and the music is generally the stuff you find on exercise music CDs so it's not too bad. Keeps you going anyway!

I think there is a lot of variation in the atmosphere between Curves gyms, depending on who is running it - some will be better than others. Maybe see if you can have a trial visit?
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i did it a couple of years ago, lost about 5-10 pounds quickly and then got pregnant and quit. but it was working. you can get a good workout if you do the circuit enough times and work hard enough. and they really do make you feel comfortable and accepted. but, the music at mine SUCKED and you need to be able to hear the beep to change machines so no headphones. there was one girl with headphones who would just watch for people to start to change stations but i was never able master her method and i was stuck listening to boogie woogie bugle boy and "charlie brown, what a clown!" as a strict black sabbath/led zepplin exerciser, this was unacceptable to me. also the chatty old ladies. so many chatty old ladies. blah blah blah. i would not chose it again for myself, but i most definitely consider Curves a good thing, especially if you are new to gyms and need some structure and direction for your workouts, or if you are uncomfortable and self conscious at the gym. the people were all SO nice.
  • Just_Fiona
    Options
    I love Curves. It's great because you're in and out so fast and are never in pain. I'm on the CurvesSmart and work my hardest, get drenched in sweat, and lose about 350 calories on average per workout... but I'm really getting strong, which is why I like it. If I'm having a tired day, I lose less, but I still walk there and back and it gives me energy. I've lost 11 inches and my body fat is down a few percent. My weight hasn't budged much, but I know I've got a lot more muscle now. The music is pretty good/modern where I go... but they put on 50's music when there's older ladies there lol. I try not to talk because then I slow down, and I want my 30 minutes worth! They instructors where I go are very knowledgeable and are always going to workshops and for more training on health and fitness. I like that I can go in my old tshirt and Walmart yoga pants... I dont need $120 Lululemon yoga pants to fit in LOL :):flowerforyou: