How bad is it to go over on carbs?

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
I'm hungry, but I have no carbs left and EVERYTHING has carbs in it apparently. Help me? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• glspenc
    glspenc Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi!!! Man, have I been there... MFP seems to keep the protein low and the carbs high... at least for me.. My suggestion to you, at least for today, is have a piece of whole wheat bread toasted with your favorite nut butter (almond is mine)... Drink it with either hot tea or a glass of milk... Yes, this will add to your carbs for the day... but you may find that it curbs your craving.... Then in the future divide your carb allotment into 4 pieces...each meal have 1 allotment and then break the last one up into 2 pieces and use those for two snacks..... If you have 240g of carb that would be 4 - 60g allotments...... 60 at each meal and the 30 each at 2 snacks..... Hope this helps......
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way! i usually go wayy over my carbs everyday but im still losing weight (aprox 1 lb a week or more) what i do is eat cucmbers or some sort of veggie or fruit...they have 1 or 2 carbs and thats way better than snacking on bread, pasta, rice type foods! according the the south beach diet, carbs are addictive, the first few days when you cut it out, you feel STARVING but after that you body doesnt crave them anymore...anyways good luck!
  • xLyric
    Options
    glspenc: No no, I am OVER my limit. You started talking about bread and I knew I'd lost you, haha. :P Thank you for the help though, I appreciate it.

Thanks, Ashley, I'm eating peas. That was the lowest we had, so I'll be over 19 or so. Not TOO bad I guess, but earlier I was excited about finally having a day where I was completely in the green on everything, so going over on carbs was dissappointing.
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    Carbs are not 'bad'. If you're on a temporary low-carb (or not) just avoid eating them in the evening. Don't starve whatever you do, you risk your health and fitness. Try drinking more water also - it can help if your body is actually cleansing versus yearning for calories and nutrients - plus its calorie free.
    Peas ROCK!!!
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    You don't have any chicken, beef, pork, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, jerkey, milk, spinach, broccoli, celery, or peanut butter in your house?
  • BrockDoe
    BrockDoe Posts: 25
    Options
    *Natural Peanut Butter.

The processed crap is loaded with sugars.
  • xLyric
    Options
    Thanks, 4Kid. I'm not on a low carb diet or anything, I just have trouble staying under the limit MFP set up for me. And yes, peas do rock. :D

scarecrow: Don't all of those have carbs? I think you are on the same track as glspenc; I want NO carbs, not more! I think I may have worded my original post badly. Thank you though!
  • mebj
    mebj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna exceed your calorie limit in one category, then the carb category is the best in which to do it. Unused carbohydrates are converted into glycogen, which is stored as energy in the liver and muscles. If you eat more carbohydrates than your body can store in the liver and muscles, then those carbs can be broken down and rebuilt into fat, which is bad for weight loss. However, think about the other categories. Unused fat is stored as, well, as fat. Protein, too, can be converted to fat if too much is consumed. However, most protein-rich foods are often high in fat, so you're better off with complex carbohydrates (whole grains, beans, lentils, etc.). These provide good energy and other nutrients. Though simple sugars from candy, baked goods, etc. should be reduced, carbs are not the enemy. Too many calories, whatever their origin, will lead to weight gain, so don't stress too much about the categories. Try to be balanced and avoid the foods you know you should avoid. Also, remember: 1 gram of carb= 4 calories; 1 gram of protein = 4 calories; 1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories, 1 gram of fat = 9 calories.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    If you're gonna exceed your calorie limit in one category, then the carb category is the best in which to do it. Unused carbohydrates are converted into glycogen, which is stored as energy in the liver and muscles. If you eat more carbohydrates than your body can store in the liver and muscles, then those carbs can be broken down and rebuilt into fat, which is bad for weight loss. However, think about the other categories. Unused fat is stored as, well, as fat. Protein, too, can be converted to fat if too much is consumed. However, most protein-rich foods are often high in fat, so you're better off with complex carbohydrates (whole grains, beans, lentils, etc.). These provide good energy and other nutrients. Though simple sugars from candy, baked goods, etc. should be reduced, carbs are not the enemy. Too many calories, whatever their origin, will lead to weight gain, so don't stress too much about the categories. Try to be balanced and avoid the foods you know you should avoid. Also, remember: 1 gram of carb= 4 calories; 1 gram of protein = 4 calories; 1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories, 1 gram of fat = 9 calories.

Umm...no. Excess carbs ARE stored as fat. Your glycogen stores in your liver are very small and will already be filled by the end of the day.

Carbs are the WORST to exceed on.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    Thanks, 4Kid. I'm not on a low carb diet or anything, I just have trouble staying under the limit MFP set up for me. And yes, peas do rock. :D

scarecrow: Don't all of those have carbs? I think you are on the same track as glspenc; I want NO carbs, not more! I think I may have worded my original post badly. Thank you though!

Chicken: zero carbs
    Beef: zero carbs
    Pork zero carbs
    Cheese: less than one carb
    Eggs: less than one carb
    Cottage cheese: four carbs
    Spinach: 4-6 carbs (4-5 of which are fiber...i.e. no impact on blood sugar)
    Celery: similar to spinach
    Peanut Butter: My natural peanut butter has four carbs with two grams of fiber
  • xLyric
    Options

Chicken: zero carbs
    Beef: zero carbs
    Pork zero carbs
    Cheese: less than one carb
    Eggs: less than one carb
    Cottage cheese: four carbs
    Spinach: 4-6 carbs (4-5 of which are fiber...i.e. no impact on blood sugar)
    Celery: similar to spinach
    Peanut Butter: My natural peanut butter has four carbs with two grams of fiber

Oh wow! Sorry about that, haha. That's a lot of help, thank you! :happy:
  • megmurray3
    Options
    also having a hard time with the carbs...my weakness is cereal; its my main breakfast and snack....I"m told if you up your protein you won't crave carbs so lets strive for balance.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    also having a hard time with the carbs...my weakness is cereal; its my main breakfast and snack....I"m told if you up your protein you won't crave carbs so lets strive for balance.

Now you're talking. You should eat carbs, fat, and protein at EVERY meal.