Smoothies with oatmeal vs. protein powder

Options
NanaMAT3
NanaMAT3 Posts: 43 Member
I generally make smoothies for my breakfast, strawberry and banana. I always used oatmeal, 1/2 cup raw, but recently purchased some vanilla protein powder to try. I had been using that in my last few smoothies, and today I used the oatmeal. I have to say that I prefer my oatmeal over the protein powder. I find the PP gives the smoothie a funny "before" taste. Not unpleasant, but def a different taste. The oatmeal doesn't alter the flavor of my strawberries and bananas. I do not add any type of sweetener as I think bananas and strawberries are perfect the way nature intended them :glasses: I'll have to use the protein powder every other day until it's gone, but I really don't think I'll buy anymore. Question: Should I be adding flax seed to my smoothies if I'm using oatmeal??

Replies

• daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am not a fan of flax seeds in my smoothie. I find they don't blend well, and I can't stand the taste. But that's just a personal opinion!!
  • NanaMAT3
    NanaMAT3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am not a fan of flax seeds in my smoothie. I find they don't blend well, and I can't stand the taste. But that's just a personal opinion!!

I get the milled flax seed/ They are already ground up and mix real well. And when I've mixed it in before with the oatmeal I really don't notice the taste as much as I noticed the taste of the protein powder. Just not real sure of the benefit of adding it in with the oatmeal as both are fiber and filling. Before I found the milled seeds I was using my spice grinder to grind up the seeds.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of adding oatmeal to a smoothie. What type of oatmeal do you use, and what to you find it adds to the smoothie?
  • missstephanielynn
    missstephanielynn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually add both oatmeal and protien powder to my smoothies. Did you buy whey or soy (or something else)? The taste can totally be dependant on the brand / type you bought. I prefer isolate to concentrate and find spending a few extra dollars can really help in getting one that tastes and mixes well :)
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I generally make smoothies for my breakfast, strawberry and banana. I always used oatmeal, 1/2 cup raw, but recently purchased some vanilla protein powder to try. I had been using that in my last few smoothies, and today I used the oatmeal. I have to say that I prefer my oatmeal over the protein powder. I find the PP gives the smoothie a funny "before" taste. Not unpleasant, but def a different taste. The oatmeal doesn't alter the flavor of my strawberries and bananas. I do not add any type of sweetener as I think bananas and strawberries are perfect the way nature intended them :glasses: I'll have to use the protein powder every other day until it's gone, but I really don't think I'll buy anymore. Question: Should I be adding flax seed to my smoothies if I'm using oatmeal??

Oatmeal and protein powder offer completely different macronutrients for the same number of calories. Protein powder is...well protein! Almost exclusively. Oatmeal is about 4:1 carbs to protein. You don't HAVE to add either, or you can add both, it all depends on what you are aiming to consume...!

ETA: There is also unflavoured whey. That has no artificial sweetener or flavourings.

Also, why are you asking specifically about flax seed vis à vis oatmeal? What is the connection? If you mean is there a harmful interaction between the two, the answer would be no... I add ground flax seed (ideally you consume flax seeds ground to make sure your body can use the soluble fibre) to my unflavoured whey shakes for added fibre. I found I needed to have more fibre when I increased my protein intake.