I'm looking for my self control

Options
I have been struggling with the same thing since I can remember, I ALWAYS eat too much in a day, simply on impulse. As strange as it sounds, I truly cannot help myself, especially when I'm alone. It's like I'm addicted to food, all the wrong kinds of foods. I do everything right as far a working out, my eating is holding me back from my success. I have a year left to make changes for important events and I'm looking for my self control. Anyone have any suggestions ? Maybe someone is dealing with something similar and has found some ways to talk themselves out of eating that extra bit in a day ? Anything ! Help !!!

Replies

• ocumberland
    Options
    I feel exactly how you do. It's hard especially when no one is home so you feel it's kind of ok because it just is. Then you count your calories for the day and realize that you messed up big time. I have been struggling with this for a while, and then the next day I want to not eat because I feel as though I just messed up. I think what I am going to try and it might work for you is drink a glass of water or diet coke and wait, if you are still craving then chew gum. I think the sensation of chewing tells your brain that you are filling up your tummy. Hope it works. :)
  • nanianela
    Options
    I like the water and gum idea ! Thank you for the tip :smile:
  • hadassah86
    hadassah86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am the SAME way.. Especially at night. I just want to much or in the afternoon!! I try to tell myself will eating more of this make me feel any better? Some times it works.. What we really have to start doing is just buckle down and flat out say NO MORE.
  • nanianela
    Options
    Yes, night time is THE worst for me ... I try sooo hard to talk myself out of things oh ooohhh myyy do I feel HORRIBLE once it's all said and done, I ALWAYS wish that I hadn't done it ....
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I definitely find myself having the same problems!! I have started doing things to help out, like running first thing in the morning. That way, I know that I feel good about myself and allways want healthy food to eat. Also, don't buy it... as good as it looks in the store, it's gonna get eaten. If I eat one m&m I'm going to eat the entire BAG of m&m's. So now I shop at the health food store for the most part. I'll end up staring at my fridge, or looking in my pantry, thinking, I NEED something.. what? who knows! just something... Well, since their is nothing unhealthy in my house, I end up with celery sticks and peanut butter, or a yogurt or something rather than my oreos or m&m's.
    It makes my husband crazy, so once a month or so, I'll make homemade cookies with whole wheat flower or ground oatmeal, and applesauce instead of shortning. So we're not completely depriving our selves, but not over doing it! Hope that helps a little :smile: :wink:

Also, LOTs OF WATER!!!!