1 gm of protein for 1lb of weight

Options
jmbcab7
jmbcab7 Posts: 23 Member
I read where you should have 1gm of protein for every lb of weight. I weigh 250. Would it be
Advisible to have 250gm of protein. Looking forward to your responses. Have a great day.

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I believe it's one gram per pound of lean weight. When I started out, I weighed roughly the same as you and I don't have a protein goal that high. There are calculators out there that give you your lean body mass number.
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein equals four calories ..try and taken in 1/3 of your calories from protein and you'll be just fine
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What is your body fat percent? Height? Why do you want to lose over 100 pounds? Are you short? Tall? Young? Do you want to be be ripped or skinny?

It really depends on how much fat you have on your body and your ultimate goals. If you want to retain what muscle you have, then try to aim for at least 150-175 most days.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There are calculators out there that give you your lean body mass number.

So long as you know your body fat %, you can easily figure out your LBM...

Weight * (100-BF)% = LBM

So, if you weigh 200 pounds, and have a 35% BF...

200 * (100-35)% = 130 pounds of LBM.

I've heard people say different numbers between 0.5-1.0 gm of protein per pound of LBM... I think it's part preference.
  • jmbcab7
    jmbcab7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'3" and weigh 250 lbs. I would like to get down to 145. My weight is extremely hard on my joints. Wishing you a good day.
  • taitmamly
    taitmamly Posts: 19
    Options
    That's wrong sweetie. It's 1 gram of protein per lb of lean muscle, so if you're 250lbs, but have say 100lb of lean muscle then you'll be wanting 100g of protein a day. Bearing in mind that's really only necessary if you're doing proper regular workouts. If you really want to get muscle built as well as losing weight, I would recommend doing pilates and keeping up your protein intake (blogilates has a good beginners calender).

To figure out your lean muscle, I tend to visit the doctor and use their machine or the one at the gym but you can buy your own for about £30. It's one of those that you hold and it sends electrical pulses through your body and works it all out for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had 117 lbs of lean muscle at 190 lbs, I'm thinking you can probably eat 130g or so and be just fine.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    That's wrong sweetie.

Who are you addressing?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say different numbers between 0.5-1.0 gm of protein per pound of LBM... I think it's part preference.

Basically, although most research articles I've seen call for the middle ground of that, that range is fine enough.
  • taitmamly
    taitmamly Posts: 19
    Options
    That's wrong sweetie.

Who are you addressing?

Umm, the original poster who asked if it was 1 gram of protein per pound of weight?
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    if you're under 15% bodyfat you can use the 1 gram per pound, but if not you can use the 1 gram of protein per pound of body of lean body mass.

You'd have to a professional bodybuilder or powerlifter to weigh 250 and be under 15% bodyfat.