HATE my job!

Options
Is there anybody else out there who hates their job? I find that the stress I have from my job makes this weight loss thing sooo difficult. I will tell you that I work with families that have or are at risk of abusing or neglecting their kids. I have a Master's degree in social work and I feel completely unfulfilled in the work that I do. I make home visits to these families to discuss why they have abused or neglected their children. I am also the legal guardian of several kids in foster care and spend a great deal of time trying to put myself in their parents' shoes. I can't get it. After two years I have realized that I probably won't ever get it. The problem is, I don't leave my work at work. I come home late, stressed, and emotionally drained. I look at my niece and nephew and can't visualize them living the lives that most of my clients live. I worry, if I can't take care of myself in this job, how can I help to take care of others.

I have looked for other jobs and have yet to find anything. I'm now thinking about going back to school, again, to get a teaching certificate. I would like to teach high school social studies, sociology, or government...something to that effect. Problem is, I've already put myself in a lot of debt going to undergrad for psychology and grad school for a master's in social work. I think that I would be better served as a teacher but am struggling with the thought of being nearly 30 and trying to go to school again to change careers.

I think all of this confusion and stress is really weighing on me and my ability to stay healthy and lose weight. I don't deal with this stress well.

Anybody else in this position?

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Depending on the state, a PRAXIS (or other exam) and student teaching/ preservice year will do it.... some states may also allow for internship for the credentialing year.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I hate my job but not for any of the same reasons as you. I work for my fiance's family doing the same work as his brother plus some, yet get paid less per hour and get half of the benefits that all other employees get. And I have over 6 years of experience in my field... I love the type of work I do though. I'm trying to get back into school to get my degree so I can go elsewhere and get a job... hopefully with my own desk that I can call my own LOL, but getting financial aid to approve me has been a nightmare.
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I'm in exactly your position. I understand what you're saying about your job. It must be very frustrating. However, if you're seriously thinking of changing jobs then maybe you should. Obviously you're unhappy. This isn't good for you and it's not going to be good for the kids you're currently helping if you get totally burned out.

Although I've usually loved my jobs, I can still relate because I was married for over 20 years to a verbally abusive, passive aggressive man. I was miserable. In the beginning I told myself that I had to stay because "giving up is for quitters"... then it was "I need to stay because of our kids"... finally at the end I realized that I was eating myself to death on PURPOSE so I could get away from him sooner, and that's just wrong. I was scared to leave, not because I feared him, but because at 40 I'd have to start over... but I did it. I did it and I couldn't be happier. I'm in a new relationship with someone who loves me for me, my children are relieved because they saw their father for what he is long before I did, and I feel like even though I'm 41 now I have my whole life in front of me.

Life is too short to constantly do something that you hate.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I would defiantly look into the requirements for teaching in your state. I know some states will help you get a teaching certificate if you already have a degree. They might even give you a bonus for teaching at a high risk school. You could always look into another position with your degree. Not all social work positions are done in the field.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    With your degree you could possibly be hired on as an "emergency Substitute teacher" and you could sub teach while you are working through all the details of getting your certification. Look into what the school districts in your are are hiring on for. The emergency sub thing comes into play when they have a shortage of teachers (usually the beginning of the year and the end of the year when everyone is sick!

Good luck!
  • MsNewBooty
    Options
    I Hate my job, too!!! I think the people that I work with are idiots. They have no sense of the English language and they are 50+ year old white women! Every little thing they do drives me into the freaking wall! And I know that the things that drive me crazy are small and petty, but I just can't help it. The way my boss hums (wrongly) to any tune on the radio, err, she's like two beats slower then the song, it drives me nuts. And she doesn't ever call me by name, I'm "UM" and when she says "um" I have to stop and wait for her to say more so that I can figure out if she's going to talk to me or to my co-worker.

Yes stress is a HUGE factor, I think, in my weight! I think I've gained at least 25-30 lbs in the last couple of years, sense I realized that I am slowly digging my way into a dead-end, no room for improvement, no possibility of a promotion or a raise job. I hate it.
    There is nothing worse then feeling so under appreciated and useless at work. I fell you, honey.

I try to email my resume to at least 2 different places every day, and I will continue to do so, until I find something else that will get me the heck out of this god forsaken rut that I'm in. In the mean time, I watch what I eat and I try to survive.

Good luck to you, and know that you are NOT the only one that feels this way about your job.
  • AuntMimi2010
    Options
    I have been looking into other options in the field of social work. The problem is, there is just not many openings right now. And really for the last few years in MO. I started off in college as an elementary education major. I think now I know I enjoy working with teenagers. Next week I have a week off for vacation and I'm hoping to gain some answers as to what my options are in the teaching field. I think I may have already taken many of the classes needed. The more I think about this, the more I think I should be a social studies teacher. However, I am very nervous about starting over in a new field again. Back to weight loss and nutrition, I know that this stress has made a significant impact on my health and I feel like if I don't make a career change soon, I will have a breakdown. I CANNOT do child abuse/neglect any longer. It is making me unhealthy and unhappy all around. But, I need to find a way to deal with it until I find something else. I'm depressed that I'm nearly 30 years old and 60 grand in debt for a career that has taken me nowhere to this point! Encouraging words advised please!
  • benchiru
    benchiru Posts: 12
    Options
    Anyone else who hate their job? Wow! you will be surprised.

Let me see, I do not really hate my job....I hate the administration. I teach an elementary school in the city and it is not easy to please the adminstration at all. My school is in a low-income community and the children around are exposed all the bad stuff that the city can emit. When they come to school, they really do not care and they do not want to listen. The principal screams...."pass state assessments".....and the kids are like "whatever." Now, that is stress for every teacher in the school. Especially since the principal is fond of screaming at the teachers and the kids alike. That is the nightmare I am going to face next week all the way till end of the school year. I think I will wear earplugs everytime I enter her office.

Well, it is never too late to change your career. My last masters was 36 credits so I assume you will take the same number of credits. I did it in a year while still teaching, and working another job. It was not easy but it paid off. You too can do it. If you get a teacher's certificate, do not teach in the city...it will be like jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

Learn to block off unhealth stress; I have learned it the hard way especially since I am foreign born, still with an accent and teaching elementary school kids reading. Keep your mind on what you want to accomplish and do not let other people's faults (parents) wear you down. The system is the way it is; I have learned to accept it (after my intial shock when I came to this country), and I do not let it drag me down.
  • sarahmsheppard
    Options
    My mother was a social worker like you at CPS for years. I saw her turn into someone I no longer recognized or liked. It drained the life out of her until she would just cry almost every day to release stress. Too many cases. To little time. Too much paperwork. Then the state cute her hours due to cut backs. Finally in fear for her we had an intervention. YA a real sit down intervention. My parents needed the money, but the job was stealing our mother. She happily found a position helping seniors transfer from assisted living or total care after an injury/surgery back to their normal lives at home or with family. Most needing some social services to help with money and nursing care. After a few weeks my mother was back. AND SHE LOST 25LBS IN TWO MONTHS. Her body just dropped the weight....and she stopped eating because she was so tired.
    Ok so here is what i want to say to you. This is your life. You know enough about caring for others to start caring for yourself. STOP IT. There is a child inside of you screaming to fufill your dreams. So who cares about debt. No really! We all have debt. What about your health? The qualify of life you have? What your teaching the children around you? What if this is it? Our one chance......GO TEACH CHILDREN HISTORY. GO BE HAPPY. IT IS OK TO DO FOR YOURSELF. IT IS OK TO BE HAPPY. IT IS OK TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL. Peace and love to you!
  • AuntMimi2010
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the support. Reading your responses, you have solidified my thoughts. I need to go back to school to be a teacher. My family is going to suffer as well as myself if I don't. Someone mentioned that their mother was in Child Protective Services for a while before she found what worked for her. Not that money is the end all be all, but my state, Missouri, is apparently one of the lowest paid states of the country. Not only am I trying to deal with the emotional trauma that has come to me, but I am dealing with the fiscal issue of not being able to get on my feet. The people that I visit every day to talk about parenting and not abusing or neglecting their kids are often the ones that are taking advantage of federal low income benefits and not making and effort to work. I find myself very angry at them. I work my butt off day in and day out to get them the referrals, support, and services they need to successfully raise their kids and they really have no idea that in the meantime I am struggling to pay my own rent and student loans. I obviously don't tell them this but I want to scream at them, "grow up, get a job, and take care of your kids".
  • AlekiaH
    AlekiaH Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that your job is coming home with you and stress is high. The field your in is very stressful, and there is no easy miracle to clean up this mess alot of people are in. But it takes loving kind and compassionate people to deal with these kinds of things, It's not for everyone. I believe although you went to school to make money or have a career, God gave you a spiritual gift and if it is to help others in this field then you'll find a way or if it;s in your spiritual gift to go back to school to teach, God Speed. May you be a blessing to others no matter what you choose to do.
  • AuntMimi2010
    Options
    Bump! I think this is what I'm supposed to do when I need more support...talk on this website even if nobody is listening at the time. I just want to know if there are others out there that don't like their jobs and it affects their physical and mental health. I was ok today until I met with some parents that just can't stop abusing drugs to get their kids home with them. We were so close to reunification and now I sit here super nervous that their visits may be unhealthy and dangerous to their kids, but I have no proof because it is prescription drugs that they are dealing with. I want to just go to bed, but I cannot stop thinking about all of these things. I want to go back to my life when I did not know how prevalent child abuse and neglect was and how resistant many parents are to changing their lives for the better of their children.