Calf sleeves in the heat

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
This morning I was running in 77-degree heat, with 90% humidity. I generally wear calf sleeves for tough workouts -- and this was definitely a tough workout -- but I couldn't help but wondering if the sleeves were doing more harm than good.

If you wear calf sleeves, do you still wear them when it's hot?

Replies

• LeslieT83
    LeslieT83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering what the new deal is with calf sleeves! First I noticed a lot more minimalist/barefoot style shoes, then a lot more sleeves, so I wondered if there was a connection.

Why do you use them? Do you feel there is a big benefit? I've had some calf issues over the years and considered getting some.
  • davemunger
    Options
    They seem to help me recover from hard runs faster -- the idea is to improve blood circulation and to move the blood back up to your heart instead of pooling in your legs. They also just seem to keep everything "locked and loaded" -- my calves don't jiggle around as much when I run and that seems to reduce fatigue. Also wearing them the day after a hard run can really help recovery. Another option is to wear calf-height compression socks. I don't like those as much because often the socks aren't as good on my feet as my regular running socks.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't wear calf sleeves but for longer runs will wear compression sock or compression tights that do pretty much the same thing and I wear them pretty much year 'round.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I wear mine in the winter to keep my legs warm without long pants. I never wear them in the summer here in GA.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Thanks for the replies -- it really sounds like it's an individual decision. Anyone else want to weigh in?