Any advice for a beginner buying basics on a budget?

Options
Hi everyone! I am a beginner and I need some help deciding what I need to get in shape and where to buy it. Here's a list of the things I think I need:

1- RUNNING SHOES - I need a good pair. I don't really care about the brand or how they look. I do want a pair that is supportive and good for my feet and hopefully under $100.

2 - FITNESS DVDS - the only ones I have tried are taebo and I enjoyed those. Trying to spend less than $50.

3 - SPORTS BRAS/ EXERCISE CLOTHES - I know you can find this type of stuff anywhere, but what cheap brands do you love?

4 - HEART RATE MONITOR - or maybe one of those fitbit things everyone is talking about. What are the benefits of these things? Should I even buy one?

Any advice on any of these things or anything else I should buy would be appreciated. I am 5'7 female 140 lbs trying to lose about 15 more pounds. This is just for the first few months. Right now I am only doing cardio (walking, bicycling) because I have no gym membership and I dont know anything about strength training/ weightlifting. I plan on getting a membership in a few months and getting a personal trainer for awhile so I can learn the basics. So any other ideas for workouts for me to do would be great too. Thanks guys!

Replies

• belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? That was my most important purchase.

I would say next is exercise clothes. I dont have anything fancy by any means and I get most of my stuff at Ross or TJ Maxx. I'm super cheap. I also by my shoes at Ross as I just buy basic (usually new balance) atheletic shoes. My suggestion if you're going to get into lifting is not to buy any shoes with a super squishy sole. I don't have a heart rate monitor, but I'm sure they're nice. :laugh: As for the dvd's, I usually just watch stuff on youtube, again, because I'm cheap.

So that's my $.02. Hope it helps!
  • lorenasaurus
    Options
    I didn't even think about Ross or t.j. maxx!! Awesome advice!

I don't have a food scale but that would be super helpful and more accurate than eyeballing it.

Thanks a lot for the advice! You're awesome!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    1 - I don't really know anything about running shoes, but I'm sure there are plenty of experts here.

2 - I'd think you can skip the DVD thing and use all of the free workouts available online. There are a ton of them out there! There are also free fitness channels on Roku and the like, it you have that available.

3 - As for sports bras, the only one I've been able to find that offers me enough support without smashing me into a uniboob is the Champion Powerback. It's a bit of a pain getting on and off, and I feel like the straps are in too close to my neck, but it's the only one I've found that fits my 32DD size perfectly. For cheap workout clothes, look at Old Navy. Their compression tights are my favorite, and the only one's I've found long enough (I'm 5'10"). I'm not careful with my things and wash and dry normally, and everything I've purchased from there has held up very well.

4 - For HRM, I went with the basic Polar FT4. It was about $60 on Amazon and does all that I need.

I workout from home (mostly just strength training now), so I couldn't tell you anything about gyms or trainers :(
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yes, you definitely want a food scale! I weigh everything and it's been super helpful :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Suspension trainer or sandbag kit + free workouts using them on youtube, a set of cross trainers, and a food scale. All you need.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Food scale for sure and I do have a FitBit that sticks to my bra. The fitbit is truly a toy but it motivates me to look at it frequently so I know I'm moving and not too sedentary.
  • ericnealdavis
    ericnealdavis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you are going to start running go to a running store and get them to watch you run. They will fit you with the proper shoes for the way you run. It will save you lots and lots of future pain from shin splints and plantar facitis. Oh, and a food scale!
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I buy all my workout clothes at Walmart. They're cheap, and they work, and I'm hoping to 'outgrow' (but in reverse) them soon. I use Youtube for most exercise videos, however I did buy 30DS from Walmart as well for 9$, and a few others. (Dancercise - 4 beginner workouts for 8$, and a generic aerobic video for 5$)
    I got a good pair of running shoes off of ebay for 35$, as well as a stability ball from ebay for 12$.
    I ALSO got my HRM off ebay for 35$ and free shipping, which was way better than 100+ you see most for.
    I'm same view for the food scale, it was definitely a requirement. I got one at Canadian Tire that was regular 30$ on sale for 10$.

Edit: Oh and Old Navy! They sell active wear in 'tall' sizes which makes me fall in love with them. But for general they're also really good pricewise, and a new favorite :)
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    For dvds, I would recommend checking them out from the library if that's something you have available. You can try them out, see if you like it, then look into buying. Or keep renewing them!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    walking and running are the best FREE exersices!:wink:
    look on ebay for some used dvds!:bigsmile:
    but great advice on the food scale just a little cheep one a MUST....... :bigsmile:

amazon again the polar t40 is basic but brilliant to!
  • sparrow0716
    Options
    Clothes, shoes, and (sometimes) handweights/exercise balls are available at Ross/TJMaxx. They're much cheaper than Walmart!

Youtube has a channel called BeFit with full-length Jillian Michaels and Denise workouts. There's tons more every week on dancing, yoga, cardio, etc.

You can also always check eBay for great deals on used workout equipment.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Target and, as mentioned, Old Navy. They have cheap clothing but it is decent for what it's used for. I believe Old Navy is still having 40% off their Active line.

DVDs - I notice Target has a small selection at decent prices. Amazon also has a ton of new and used DVDs and tend to be cheapest of anywhere. But as everyone has stated there are TONS of free exercises on the web. Look at pinterest. Or Women's Health or Fitness magazine. They have tons of routines. Plus youtube and blogs. So much out there, so little time.

And I agree with the food scale purchase. I got mine at Target for like $20 or $25. It really opens your eyes when you see what an oz of this is or a gram of that.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    3 - SPORTS BRAS/ EXERCISE CLOTHES - I know you can find this type of stuff anywhere, but what cheap brands do you love?
    I don't know about cheap brands, but check out tjmaxx if you have one. They generally have good brands at cheap prices!

On shoes, whatever fits your feet is the best answer, there was an article a while back about cheaper shoes that are just as good as more expensive shoes. I would link if I could remember where i saw it, but google it and you might find it.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If you really want to cut costs, download the Nike training club app on your phone and work out to that. I love it and its free
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Re: workout clothes ....Wal-Mart has lots of Danskin stuff (really cheap).

Bras ...... be careful here. Not all bras labeled "high impact" are. You really have to try them and jog a bit. Champion bras at Target are pretty good (not the skinny strap kind) .... the racerback ones. If all else fails, you can wear one bra on top of another.

Tons of workout videos on YouTube ......Hulu.com .....Acacia.com. Your local library should have DVDs too. If you have a VCR you should be able to find tons tapes at thrift stores. For starters look for "body weight" strength training .... newbies don't need weights.

If you want to buy newer DVDs ..... Target has 4 packs of DVDs for $15 ...... Bob Harper, Crunch Bootcamp, Crunch Pilates..... and some others.

I love my Polar FT4 .... around $60
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I definitely second the Ross and TJ Maxx idea for workout clothes. You can get good brands for cheap, rather than just plain old cheap stuff that will wear out fast. I do end up buying a lot of sports bras at Target on clearance, and the Champion brand actually works great for me.

Running shoes- GO TO A RUNNING STORE. Seriously. If you buy shoes that are wrong for you, you may develop a lot of problems. At a running store they will watch you run, measure your feet and make recommendations. You can still get a decent deal.

I have a really basic Polar HRM and I LOVE it! I don't know anything about fitbit.

There are a lot of great iphone apps- You are your own gym, daily workout....

Good luck!
  • tanyamstrain
    tanyamstrain Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to places like Old Navy, TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart or Target for cheap workout clothes. You can also shop clearance racks at places like Sports Authority, Sears, JCPenny. I bought my running shoes at Sports Authority on Sale for $45 (Nike). You should have no problem finding good running shoes under $100. You can also try Payless for running shoes. They sell shoes for around $20-$30. For workout gear, you can pick up tank tops for under $5 each. You only need 2-3 pair of shorts or pants to start. You can also try second hand stores for workout pants and tank tops (if you don't mind used clothes).

I use fitnessblender.com for my workouts. They are awesome. They are also free. I do go to the gym two days a week for Zumba and or Yoga, but for the most part I work out using these videos at home and on my lunch break at work.

I also use a fitbit, it helps me keep track of how many calories I actually burn and it sinks with this site as well. That was a bit of money but totally worth it. It cost me about $100, but you can find other devices that are cheaper. They sell these at Target for under $60.

The food scale and a set of measuring spoons/cups are important. You can pick these up at any department store for fairly cheap also.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I would suggest forgetting about the 15 lbs and concentrate on lifting and building some muscle to replace fat. Losing 15 lbs when you're already at a decent weight for your height is only going to make you look skeletal. Instead of doing cardio, work on strength training to replace jiggly fat with tight muscle.
  • lorenasaurus
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

There's a running store .88 miles from my house and they have awesome reviews on yelp. I'm definitely going today or tomorrow.

There's a strip mall with a target, Ross, marshalls, and old navy that is really close so I think I can find everything I need between those 4 places. I'm definitely getting a food scale.

My birthday is in a month so maybe I'll ask my dad to get me a HRM. I know it would motivate me to keep my heart rate up but it's not really a necessity for me.

I'm definitely going to check out what is on YouTube. Thanks guys!