Question for the runners

doughd2
doughd2 Posts: 86 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm still pretty new to running.. about a month that I've kept steady with it, and I do about 2 miles every other day. I normally run in my community. Yesterday I ventured out onto "actual" roads.. which crown in the center and slope down the shoulders as typical roads do. The roads in my community don't do this, atleast not a noticeable amount, and I felt like the slope threw me off. Am I crazy, or does anyone else have this problem? And how do you compensate for it?

Replies

• I can say that I'm a new runner but more or less or bad runner. I run because I feel I have to and because I have to maintain weight for my career. I find that when I run on the roads and not on the track that my body is working harder. Because the roads have it's dips and it's turns and it's slants, my legs seem to work much harder. I run everday so I end up with a little soreness in my shins. But even then I think that running on the road is harder than just running a straigth-away or on a track.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    It's best to avoid running on cross slopes like that if you can help it, but if you must do it then do it in both directions so that any extra work caused to one side of the body is also caused to the other side.
  • no you are not crazy at all! It will take your body a little while to get used to it, as its used to running in your community. Try giving it slightly more power up the slope, but slower pace. You will get used to it once you have done it a few times :)). I run on the roads all the time now, as I prefer it. I feel like I am challenging my body slightly more by the change in terrain.

I'm also new to running and am currently training for my first 1/2 marathon (end of oct), so still a learning curve for me also!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    It's best to avoid running on cross slopes like that if you can help it, but if you must do it then do it in both directions so that any extra work caused to one side of the body is also caused to the other side.

I agree that it is there and when you do run like that to try to balance it out as much as possible. Where I live, the slopes on the road are really big to compensate for flash flooding. Sometimes I find that running on side walks is a little less slope like when they are available. Your body will start learning how to deal with this, it just take a little bit of time.

Great job with the running. It is a wonderful sport.
This discussion has been closed.