Need Support

Options
I am a 34 year old single mom. I need to lose 150 lbs. I just joined this week. So far I am doing pretty good but I would love to have some support from you guys. I am losing the weight for my health and for my son. I am a untreated diabetic, I have sleep apnea, my legs swell every day, I have problems with my kidneys, and have poor circulation in my legs. I have to do this for my son. I need to get in better shape to take care of him. I can't even believe I let myself go this far but I did and now it's time for a big change.

Replies

• evilimports
    evilimports Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it, during 2012 (when i started to make a change) i lost 150 pounds in the 1 year with just counting calories and exercise. and i was really lazy
  • thatonegirlinohio
    thatonegirlinohio Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I added you! We have similar goals and we are both single moms! So far I've lost 16 pounds (5 weeks) but many more to go.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I have been an active member since Feb 2013 and have lost 25lbs (from 232 t0 208).

Check out my profile, if you like what you see, feel free to add me.
  • traumaticthrash
    Options
    Its never too late to change.. Im glad you've started now. with the right reason and a strong one (your son) you can achieve your goal. firstly start by tracking the foods you eat, diet is the essential key to you reaching your goals.

Good luck :)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Make a plan & stick to it, but allow for being human, because that's what we are.

Plan your food each day (or each week, if you are industrious). Don't put *anything* in your mouth before you know how many calories it is. :noway:

Figure out what type of exercise you will do and schedule it into your day. If you don't, it'll be the first thing you skip if you are busy/tired/unmotivated.

Get friends here, motivate them, allow them to motivate you. Feel free to add me if you like.

Remember: you can do it, but only if you want to!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have done the yo-yo diet thing, and due to some medical issues I am unable to lose weight as fast as I would like. However, sticking with this as a way to see the good and bad that I am doing is helping me, and I've already dropped 4 inches off my frame. As the posters have stated, just stick with it.
  • FeelinChastastic
    Options
    This site has some amazingly supportive people! Ultimately we are all here for the same reasons. To become healthier, happier people. Congratulations on the start of what I know is going to be a success!

I have similar goals as you. No known health problems but I wanted to jump start on this before the possibility became greater.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. Always looking for new friends and support.
  • missylee117
    missylee117 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    welcome to a change of LIFE!!! Do it for yourself first because if you don't come first nobody will. keep your diary open, add friends and support, I too am a pre diabetic and its hasnt been easy but I am making a change for better health, you and only you can change, add me as support, Ill stand right next to you................
  • linda0372
    linda0372 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    first things first: go see your primary physician. work with him/her. I work with my doctor for my weight loss and diabetes (and I was diagnosed 3 years ago, type 2). your doctor will get you started right with a nutritionist.

the way i started to lose my weight (52 lbs in total) was by walking. walk around the block. with eating right (with the help of a nutritionist) and exercising, you will see the weight come off. granted it's a long and hard process, but its worth the work.
  • FeelinChastastic
    Options
    Everyone asks me what kind of "diet" I'm on. And I simply say... "this is not a diet. This is a life style change. A life style that requires healthier choices and portion control." Because to me, that's what it is. Fad diets just don't work.
  • channadugger
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the wonderful support and motivation. And especially for all the friend requests. You guys are all wonderful!!
  • FitCoachShawn
    FitCoachShawn Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to an MFP support and motivation group! They are awesome!

The group is called "Lean On Me"! They have a facebook page, twitter, and an MFP group!
    Hope you like!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/14158-lean-on-me
  • losinit48
    losinit48 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi i have been working on this for five weeks starting to get a little discouraged i am following my calories 1200 a day and i joined the gym going 3-5 days aweek. i dont want to give up i feel like i should have lost something by now
  • FeelinChastastic
    Options
    hi i have been working on this for five weeks starting to get a little discouraged i am following my calories 1200 a day and i joined the gym going 3-5 days aweek. i dont want to give up i feel like i should have lost something by now

You haven't lost anything in 5 weeks on that strict of a regimen? Hmmm. That's odd. Maybe you're just building muscle for the time being. Just don't get discouraged! That's the worst thing to do! Keep it up and you will eventually start seeing results!
  • losinit48
    losinit48 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks how long have you been working on your weight loss
  • Chalay721
    Chalay721 Posts: 1
    Options
    Congratulations! I myself have a ton of weight to lose, but this app has been great. It has really made me aware of the high calorie food I was eating. Best of luck to you!
  • Kathleen2nyc
    Options
    Hi - I need to lose 100 lbs, and I know how hard it is....I've come to the realization that if I continue, so matter how often I go over the calorie limit...I will lose weight. So, my new motto is "I only fail when i quit." Go for it!
  • churchchipmunk
    churchchipmunk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me. I would love to be as much of an encouragement as I can! You can do this!!!!!
  • Corig22
    Corig22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You are taking the first steps to changing your life. I am 40 and need to loose at 60 lbs. Same thing. For my son. My legs hurt. I can't play with him the way I want to and I am tired of feeling this way. I would be happy to help support you on this journey. Feel free to add me to your friend list.

Good Luck!

Cori
    :smile:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Welcome :)

I will say, with friends it's been much easier. This is my second time on here, had some medical issues and the weight started creeping back on.

I'm glad you realized you needed help, and sought out friends :) My story isn't like yours, but I log daily, Every Single Bite... and from what i've been told i'm an inspiration, although I don't think I am... but i'm good at motivating and checking in with friends daily! :)