Running Help Needed!

Options
Hey guys I'll give you a quick break down of what I've been experiencing while running, maybe you guys will have some tips and pointers to help me!

I've been running for a month now, and no matter what every single time my ankles get so sore! (they've been doing this since high school, even on long walks)
Its quite painful, feels like the muscles along the outside of my ankles get super tight and I can barley walk, making it difficult to run/walk for long distances
Im constantly having to take breaks and sit down, once i do that for a couple minutes they are ok and I can continue for a bit longer, but its starting to get really frustrating not being able to run for more than 10 minutes at a time.
Ive tried stretching them out before my run, Im probably not doing it right or something but if you guys have some suggestions they would be much appreciated!!!

Replies

• GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi Is it the back of your ankle that is sore? I had issues before whilst refereeing football and both my ankles were very painful. I went to the physiotherapist for treatment. It was my Achilles that were giving me issues. You cannot 'stretch' them but you can 'mobilise' them.

Before any exercise and if you can several times in the day - stand on a step balancing on the 'balls' of your feet then push down with your weight on the right foot holding the stretch - you'll feel it in your ankle and calf - for about 10-15 seconds. Repeat on the left foot. Do this 20-30 times if you can.

I now do this as part of my warm up and before I referee or go do any running

Hope this helps - Good Luck
  • ickaboo3
    ickaboo3 Posts: 10
    Options
    Its more along the sides but its worth a try!
    Thanks for the tip!
  • LaurenSmith101
    Options
    Have you had your feet checked for over pronation and ar you wearing the right shoes? If you go somewhere like runners need they will test how your feet roll on a treadmill and get you in the right shoes.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    So, this happens WHILE you're running?

I would suggests a few things:

1. Go to a running store that will do a shoe fit for you. It sounds like you're probably turning your toes WAY in while you run (Stand with your toes pointed WAY in, and feel the tightness in your ankles.... same muscles?) OR, you're trying to run on your toes. They will look at your form and suggest a shoe what will provide the right support.

2. If long distances are hard, then walk more and run less. work up to running those distances, and reduce your intensity.

It sounds like a combination of "bad form" and "too much, too soon." The "too much, too soon" is easy to fix, but the "bad form" is not as easy.

3. The other thing that you might need to try is to "run throught it." If the pain gets a little bad, and then doesn't get any worse, I usually run through it and it goes away. If it gets bad and then gets worse, I stop. That's just me.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As Lauren says some running shops will video your running action to see if you pronate (surface of foot facing downward or towards the back) or supinate which is the opposite.

If that was the case though I think you would be experiencing problems with your knees or hips as well - My son had this issue with pronation which caused him pain in his knees and back - he had some insoles fitted to his shoes problem solved.

It may be medical/ physiotherapy advice is needed to locate the problem
  • ickaboo3
    ickaboo3 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Guess I'll start with getting fitted for some new running shoes and go from there, really appreciated guys! :)