Is it cheating?

Options
So I'm not the biggest fan of plain 'ol water. I have a hard time drinking this "flavorless" liquid when it does taste funny to me. It brought me to the horrid realization that my brain has become so conditioned to drinking sweet things that it sends the taste signals of water as something icky. If I do drink water, the only kind that does seem to bypass those signals is Aquafina. Even the Brita filter on our faucet can't clean up our tap water enough for me to be able to enjoy it.

When it comes to meals, my brain is also conditioned into wanting a flavored drink to go with my food. I cannot recall a time I had any meal where I just drank water with it. This is where the cheating question comes in. I use the Great Value flavor packs to put in my bottled water for meals. Can I still count that as part of my water intake? Or has the fact that it is now containing those 5 calories made it not count? It is still essentially water. Any input is helpful! = )

Replies

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    yes that counts, but there are a lot of products out there now, :smile: Crystal light just came out with those flavored drops, I use the ice tea one..
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of conflicting answers on this but I'll start it out with a big YES!

Your body will use that liquid (flavored or not) as water. It will still be 99% H20. If you added sugar to it, it would still be water as a base. If you drank it carbonated, the body will still use it as water for all it's needed body processes. You can even drink up to 300 - 500 mg of caffeinated beverage and your body will still use it as water without any minute dehydrating effects.

If it's a liquid (as long as you log associated calories) you can log it as part of your water intake as well.
  • asyluma
    asyluma Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Soda is definitely my go to drink. If you got a Dr. Pepper to give, I'll be your best friend lol I have avoided buying any 12pks to keep in the house and succeeded for at least a year now, but I do still buy one 20 oz. practically every time I work and with cutbacks in other departments, I may go 9 days before having a day off. Still, I try to stick to the one a day and diet instead of regular.