HCG Diet

Has anyone tried the HCG diet? What did you think? I've plateaued at 20 lb loss, but still have 20 to go, looking for a boost.

Replies

• Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    No no no...... Please stop using that junk!! Search the forum for "HCG" you sill find many previous posts.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    It is not sustainable in the long run, therefore weight will come back. Plus, you body may not get the nutrients it needs.

Other ideas- add weight lifting, drink more water, take body measurements (better guide than the numbers on the scale), and some people actually eat closer to maintenance for a week or two, the go back to their regular deficit.

How long has your plateau been?
  • Flora_k
    Flora_k Posts: 72 Member
    Yes, I did the hCG diet earlier this year. It messed my body up so much and I ended up, even with insurance, spending about $1,000 in medical costs to heal. I did Omnitrition and I'm told that it really is just a litle tiny bottle of water with no real hCG. It's the 500-calorie diet that can mess you up. Since sharing my story: http://www.squidoo.com/unsafe_hcg_diet I've had a lot of people contact me with similar stories. The hCG crowd desperately tries to bury any and all mention of the dangers of this diet so I am just so glad that the word is getting out again. I say again because this diet usually lasts a short time and then disappears because of all the problems with it. Eventually somebody brings it back up because everybody has forgotten how awful and dangerous it is and they make a good deal of money off it.

Even watching what I ate after the diet, it all came back and then some. It changed my body so that clothes that fit before at this same weight (I'm back down to my original weight) do not fit. I lost muscle and gained fat.

Don't do this to yourself. It's awful.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    No, please don't do that to yourself :noway:
  • thexillies
    thexillies Posts: 1 Member
    hcg dieter here.

people will try to talk you out of it. i've tried talking people out of it. i know a good 10 people or so that have done the diet as long as 3 years ago and have managed to keep the weight off. if you're considering doing the hcg diet, i'll give you some advice and not just steer you away from it.

only do it if you're in good health. research. talk to you doctor. the thing that i can't stress enough is to actually find a physician that can give you the supplies and do regular weekly checkups on you. i didn't have to seek someone out since my primary family doctor offered the diet. a trusted doctor should be able to give you sound advice.

DON'T BUY THE DROPS OFF THE INTERNET. many people such as Flora_K have run into problems because the drops a) don't contain hcg and b) hcg cannot be absorbed properly when administered orally anyway.

despite what most people might think, it is a very difficult diet but you'll be surprised how much discipline you find you have. (and some learned) you'll be sacrificing a lot for a month or so, but it's not permanent and the results are motivating.

the reason people fail on this diet is that they go back to the habits that made them overweight in the first place. if you plan on a quick fix and feel you would just go back to your old lifestyle of eating badly and/or inactivity, then be prepared to fail.

in my personal experience both on and after the diet, i have no complaints. during the 500 calorie phase, i felt fine if not better than i did before with more energy and better sleep. i was surprised. during and after maintenance, i had no issues whatsoever and all my blood test results came out stellar. each person is different, though, so you have to make that judgment call yourself. research, research, research!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    Then increase the intensity of your exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    The HCG diet has been listed on Diet Scam Watch for years. And any doctor that prescribes HCG for weight loss is participating in a known medical fraud.

You can read all about it here:

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

"Human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) is a hormone found in the urine of pregnant women. More than 50 years ago, Dr. Albert T. Simeons, a British-born physician, contended that HCG injections would enable dieters to subsist comfortably on a 500-calorie-a-day diet. He claimed that HCG would mobilize stored fat; suppress appetite; and redistribute fat from the waist, hips, and thighs [1]. There is no scientific evidence to support these claims [2-13]. Moreover, a 500-calorie (semi-starvation) diet is likely to result in loss of protein from vital organs, and HCG can cause other adverse effects. Gabe Mirkin, M.D., has noted:

HCG is also marketed in sublingual (under the tongue) form. No scientific tests of sublingual HCG have been published, but it is safe to assume that it would be no more effective than injected HCG."
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Then increase the intensity of your exercise.

I've not done anything with HCG, but exercise intensity is what has kicked me out of a rut. I was stuck at about 80 pounds lost with another 50 or so to go-- it's a long road. This probably sounds a little dumb, but all I did was reroute my daily walk so that it has a big hill (about 1/4 mile, 8% grade) in it, which I walk up about 75% backwards. That's a big quad workout that gets my heart rate up. I've also added running in intervals. The total distance is the same as before, the time is actually a few minutes shorter, but the intensity is increased. And I'm dropping weight again-- about 10 pounds since I've started this.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Glad you're dropping weight again and decided against doing HCG!

Good for you!
  • cindy5761
    cindy5761 Posts: 28
    Don't do any program that will sabatoge your metabolism. I lost 30lbs over 6 years ago and have kept that weight off by doing a program that had me eating 1500 balanced calories a day, protected my muscle, kept my metabolism strong and was healthy...plus I felt good. Your body needs good nutrition to work properly!
  • aperreau
    aperreau Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you to all for your responses, appreciate the insights and information. Probably need to work harder! Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.