housework counting as legitimate exercise

Options

Replies

• MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If I can feel my heart rate elevating, and my muscles getting tired, I count it. Yesterday I deep cleaned my bathrooms, and I was vigorously scrubbing tile and grout for an an hour....I worked up a decent sweat, and you can be DAMN SURE I counted those as calories burned. ;)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I was doing all the same housework while I was gaining weight, didn't seem to help me out when I was shoveling food into my face. Don't know why the same activity would have any special magic now that I'm eating at a deficit.

However, I was NOT walking/running 6 miles/day and lifting 3x/week when I was gaining weight. That is why I count that as exercise now.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Without actually seeing you in action, I can't tell if it's exercise or not. Why don't you come by here. We'll have you do 2 1/2 hours of cleaning and ironing. I'll watch and then make a decision when you're finished. ;-)
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Someone once posted, count it if it is aggressive enough that you work up a sweat. That being said, if I am doing short 15 minute walks multiple times a day - specifically to add to my exercise for the day. I could that - even though I am not sweating. But it is over an above my normal day walking at my sedentary desk job. So you have to decide if the activity level is really being counted in your daily allotment of calories - or is it truly above and beyond.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much day to day hum drum in my books...it should already be accounted for in your NEAT per your activity level. Occasionally I have a crazy day out in the yard doing landscaping...I don't log it, but I do treat myself to a few extra beers...but just general type of stuff, no way. I personally think a lot of people do this and those same people complain about "doing everything right" but not losing.
  • emmythedagger
    emmythedagger Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It depends. Have you listed yourself as sedentary or active? If your sedentary add it, otherwise it's already been accounted for.

I'm sedentary, I sit about doing nothing, so when I get up and help with the cleaning I log it!

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I don't eat those calories back. I only eat back when I've really been working out.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Did you not clean your house before you gained weight? I mean why count the things you should already be doing? I have yet to see anyone post a success story saying, YAY I lost 100 lbs by cleaning my house!

:laugh:
  • kaycevaughan
    kaycevaughan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set to count the cleaning and other things that I do day to day. However, if I do extra cleaning or mow the yard or something, I will count it. But I try not to eat more 50% of my exercise calories back is many at all.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many people consider cleaning part of their daily routine. I HATE to clean and I sure as heck don't do it every day. So for me, I'd count it as "light cleaning" and probably use 1/2 the calories the MFP says. I also count mowing my lawn as exercise. It takes me 65 minutes to cut my entire yard and that's a lot of walking. One of these days I'm going to get a pedometer and wear it while cutting the grass. I'm guessing it's the equivalent of walking a couple of miles.

Also, I have always worked out. The only times that I've gone more than a short while without exercising where: recovering from numerous knee surgeries, the last month of pregnancy (I swelled so much I couldn't wear regular shoes), the first 3 months after having a baby, and 8 weeks after having female surgery. Yet, I still gained weight. So to the comment, that you did that and still gained weight, so you shouldn't count it doesn't cut it in my book. I count my exercise now.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I've gotta admit, I'm one of the people who occasionally counts above and beyond cleaning as exercise, but at an exchange rate of 1h of heavy cleaning logged as 30min light cleaning. Since cleaning is always a normal activity, I figure that's the only way to count the little bit of extra effort.

I have used the light cleaning input to substitute for other, rare activities like painting a room. That's enough effort that I want some kind of extra food, but not so much that I can justify a ton of calories.
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You can count anything as exercise that you want to count.

But if you find yourself in a month or so not losing any weight, remember this post.

LOL, I like that!! I know a lot of people record housework as exercise but for me personally, I don't and would only look at it as a bonus if it actually contributed!:wink:
  • hisirishwench
    Options
    Without actually seeing you in action, I can't tell if it's exercise or not. Why don't you come by here. We'll have you do 2 1/2 hours of cleaning and ironing. I'll watch and then make a decision when you're finished. ;-)

When you are done there, you can come do my house it will help with the scientific study! ;)

If you want to make housekeeping part of your work out I would suggest what some other have and add exercises for each room - so in the bathroom you can use your tub (as long as its not wet) to do step ups on, do 3 sets of 12, in the living room do pushups, do 3 sets of 12, kitchen do squats, 3 sets of 12, etc... personally I like having music on while I clean and often find myself dancing around the house, sometimes my 6 yr old daughter will join me and it turns into a dance off. it doesn't make house cleaning go faster but I certainly have fun :) and no, I don't count it as part of my workout!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many people consider cleaning part of their daily routine. I HATE to clean and I sure as heck don't do it every day. So for me, I'd count it as "light cleaning" and probably use 1/2 the calories the MFP says. I also count mowing my lawn as exercise. It takes me 65 minutes to cut my entire yard and that's a lot of walking. One of these days I'm going to get a pedometer and wear it while cutting the grass. I'm guessing it's the equivalent of walking a couple of miles.

Also, I have always worked out. The only times that I've gone more than a short while without exercising where: recovering from numerous knee surgeries, the last month of pregnancy (I swelled so much I couldn't wear regular shoes), the first 3 months after having a baby, and 8 weeks after having female surgery. Yet, I still gained weight. So to the comment, that you did that and still gained weight, so you shouldn't count it doesn't cut it in my book. I count my exercise now.

I have two dogs, a cat, a toddler, and a 1 year old. Pretty much something has to be cleaned every flippin' day. I spend at least 2-3 hours per day cooking, doing dishes...cleaning or fixing something or trimming this or that in the yard, cutting the lawn, sweeping the patio, etc.

I'm amazed that so many people are so flippin' sedentary in their day to day that they'd actually consider cleaning and the like exercise.
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    LOL you're assuming cleaning for me is a daily thing...

I count it if my legs are shaking by the end (don't make that dirty, c'mon now). That's more of a workout than I get on some strength training machines.
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it. I agree, I can get a good workout in cleaning, but I gained weight while keeping a clean house. It's the same with shopping sprees, walks around the park with my kid, etc. If I did it when I was gaining/maintaining a heavier weight, I don't count it. Those are just parts of life for me, not "exercise".
  • bonniecarbtoo
    Options
    This is always a concern for people. I have always paid folks to do my housecleaning, the last 30 some years. A neighbor kid, my brother, nieces, grandkids, etc. Since I retired in 2009, my grandkids did what I needed done. However, once a month I would go deep with it, and I have NO vacuum or carpet shampooer. I sweet carpets with a broom and mop them with a mop and bucket. I counted that, any time I cleaned, because its NOT part of my daily routine. I'm on 1200 calories, sedentary, and I was told, not by MFP, to count everything I did as exercise, and whatever came up, to eat it back. I have been made fun of, criticized, laughed at, for counting those cleaning episodes. Lost one of my MFP friends because I logged it. So do be careful logging what you would normally do cause yes it can mess you up. Good logging to you!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Since I have my activity level set to sedentary when I clean vigorously I wear my HRM, record the burn, and lower that number a bit because HRMs don't accurately track that type of exercise. HRMs are calculated to track cardio exercises such as walking/running/etc. If I'm scrubbing a tub and mopping floors for 3+ hours you better believe I'm going to count it to some extent.
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm amazed that so many people are so flippin' sedentary in their day to day that they'd actually consider cleaning and the like exercise.

Honestly, I'm not a domestic person. I don't stay at home. It's not my job to clean my house for three hours every day. It's NOT part of my daily activity. I would log half a day of vigorous house-sanitizing, and I'm not a sedentary person. I'm in the military and do PT every day. But cleaning is not part of my "daily" routine.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you're just making the beds and washing dishes every day, don't count it. If you're scrubbing top to bottom for hours and hours, and this is not part of your daily routine, sure you can count it. Don't let it take the place of a work out though.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't count housework but I did count when we moved. That was definitely a workout that was not everyday stuff....