Matcha Green Tea - anyone tried it?

Options
Hi all,

I've just ordered some Matcha green tea powder from Tea Pigs and was just wondering who's tried this and if they've noticed the benefits?

Apparently 1/2 a tsp a day of it mixed with water or juice is the equivalet to having something like 10 cups of normal green tea a day! It's meant to be amazing for energy and metabolism, so just wondered if anyone has any positive reviews?

I tried it last week to check I liked it before ordering it, and it was yummy! I had it mixed with orange juice and it tasted really good, and I definitely noticed I wasn't as lethargic in the afternoon when I usually get an energy slump!

x

Replies

• kelleynbrown
    kelleynbrown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I, as a former tea fanatic, am not certain of the health benefits of match (though I'd expect their similar to regular green tea, if not better). HOWEVER, it is a really great tasting tea, especially if the 'watery' stuff bores you. Matcha tea helped keep me full and kept me from overeating. It's especially satisfying and filling in the morning, or before dinner.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try it in the morning a few days and in the afternoons on other days and see what works best!

On the website it sounds like a wonder powder so here's hoping! :-)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it tastes good to many. Not so sure if it "boosts" your metabolism any more than say, coffee, or black tea. does.
  • alicha78
    alicha78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Matcha Green Tea ever since I got a sample packet of it from a food show. Not only is it healthier for you, but it definitely has more flavour than the average green tea.

I got mine from Teavana the last time they had a $10 off $30 sale and I drink it every morning before my breakfast. It makes me look forward to going to work everyday :)
  • toot1983
    toot1983 Posts: 2
    Options
    I use the tea pigs matcha and I really like it. I just use 1/2 tsp in hot water every morning. I would be careful taking it too late in the afternoon as it really does give you an energy boost and I've found it takes me ages to get to sleep if I have it too late. I definately feel like it gives me more energy and my skin has been really clear since using it and hopefully it will help boost my metabolism but time will tell.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve by drinking this tea? Fat loss or increased energy?

It might be useful for increasing energy as it may contain caffeine and it that's it then you are better off with just a cup of coffee or tea as it's just cheaper and the benefits of coffee are well documented (http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/947/Ten_Benefits_of_Coffee_for_Health_Performance_Body.aspx) but I don't know about matcha green tea.

If you are drinking the tea for the antioxidants, then I would argue that it's better to get something like fruits (berries especially) and veggies into your diet.

Having said that, if you like it, then carry on drinking it :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My son made a pound cake with it once - it was delicious! Never tried using it for anything else though...
  • SaBh93
    SaBh93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Matcha ice cream.

Yeah, I used to have it on and off- the colour is perfect in shakes/homemade lattes or some baking which calls for green food colouring.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of green tea.. at all. But matcha is an ingredient which need not be drunk as it is :)
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I like green matcha tea but then again I love all tea, its stronger tasting then your run of the mill green tea.
    It does make a good ingredient as well , I haven't had the cake someone said, but have had green tea ice cream, real good.