This is driving me NUTS not losing and i have a LOT to lose

Options
This is really starting to get at me, for the last 3 weeks ive been stuck at 350 and i cannot get passed it. Ive only lost 18 pounds so far of which who knows how much of that was just water weight. Im torn on how much i should be eating ! MFP says i should eat 2400 calories, but i cant get close to that eating at home without help from Mcdonalds. I don't feel hungry even eating only 1600 calories which leads me to believe im still eating to much. At 6 foot 3 and 350 pounds 1600 calories is to much !? It just makes no sense to me and every day i step on this damn scale and see 350 i want to go out and see how well it could fly if i threw it. Ive opened up my diary if anyone wants to take a look, i know it's definitely not perfect, but you should have seen it before i started MFP. Ive managed to ditch all soda for the last 3 months and i drink only water, I guess im just looking at calories right now and i try to keep my sodium low (sometimes i blow it lol) I am extremely sedentary and not by choice, i have a rare skin condition which prevents me from moving much, even with this i still walk for an hour at planet fitness everyday making sure my heart rate is about 150 and im in pain the whole time so you could imagine what it feels like to not see anything motivational on the scale. Im starting to measure now so we will see how that goes. I honestly think im just going to try eat 1200 calories for a week, see if i lose anything. If i do i know i was eating to much and i can start increasing from their. Any thoughts are much appreciated. thanks !

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's really not necessary to feel hungry while losing weight, I promise you. I know that's what we all think, what we've been taught by the diet industry and fitness infomercials to believe. But it's just not true.

At your weight, you can stand to run a larger deficit than most of us. Such a low calorie level probably won't do you much harm. But if you're worried about it, there are tons of calorie-dense foods you can incorporate in your diet to boost your levels.

Sometimes bodies get weird like this. Even when you're doing everything right they'll hold onto the weight. It could be water weight masking the fat loss or your body could just be stalled for a few weeks. I would give it another week or two and see if your body doesn't catch up.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You seem to be over on sodium most days and it also looks like a lot of what you're eating is junk. You might even be undereating for your size and weight and considering you're a male.

My advice (and only my advice, based on your diary and what you've told us):

1. Measure your food to make sure you're logging accurately.

2. Try and switch your choices to healthier ones. Choose leaner meats, wholegrains, fruits and vegetables. If you can't handle changing everything at once, switch one thing, then switch another. I'm not telling you to give up all the junky choices but wean yourself off slowly and decide which ones you want to keep as occasional things.

3. Reduce your sodium.

4. Try eating 2000 calories for a good solid month.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    yes I agree. I think you are not losing because of what you are eating. I would change that and then see what happens. maybe try cutting out all the fast food and pizza 1st and then go from there
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Do not eat 1600 - I am 5'8 and 176 and eat more than that...

Stop eating so much junk and start eating real food - you will not get healthy on a diet of king size reeces and Burger King!

For 2400 cal (btw - that's my TDEE, so still a huge deficit for you - you can eat eggs and bacon and avo with whole wheat bread for breakfast, a LOT of roasted chicken you can buy at a supermarket all done, and loads of veggies - easy to microwave frozen veggies and pack it for lunch.
    Steak and veggies with a potato for dinner - easy to prepare and a lot less calories and more nutrition than urger king....
  • Lauren344
    Lauren344 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Iv looked at your diary, looks like you need to change the foods you eat
    do you eat breakfast?
  • sarah___
    sarah___ Posts: 5
    Options
    You might be eating under the amount of calories you need and you might not feel hungry, but the fact that you're craving the same old foods could be your body trying to tell you something. Try to just eat healthy for a few days and see if you get your appetite back. Quality is more important than quantity or number of calories. The sodium could also be causing you to retain water. When you start to eat better you might also feel a little better when it comes to exercise.
  • mwiechel
    mwiechel Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Cut out the fast food and pizza as much as you can! All that is is junk and not helping your body.

Start meal planning, and try to prep all your food ahead of time. Take 2-3 hours one day a week and get all your food ready for the week. If you have it all prepped and ready to go, it will be faster and healthier (and cheaper) to grab that instead of waiting in line at BK or McDonalds.

I would also start eatting breakfast too (from the days I looked at on your diary, it doesn't look like you are getting that in) get some whole grain bread, and have Peanut Butter Toast, or eggs on toast, But get something with protien you you to get you going on your day!

Hope that helps, start making the changes a little at a time and before you know it, you'll be a whole new person!
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You seem to be over on sodium most days and it also looks like a lot of what you're eating is junk. You might even be undereating for your size and weight and considering you're a male.

2. Try and switch your choices to healthier ones. Choose leaner meats, wholegrains, fruits and vegetables. If you can't handle changing everything at once, switch one thing, then switch another. I'm not telling you to give up all the junky choices but wean yourself off slowly and decide which ones you want to keep as occasional things.

3. Reduce your sodium.

This is exactly what I was getting ready to suggest (and yes based on your diary.) If you can [do the above] and keep your sodium down there should no doubt you will see results in a months time. Also remember, juice has lots of added sugar. Maybe eat a real orange which is natural sugar and drink more water. I believe you're biggest set back (besides the junk food choices) is the sodium. And really log everything you eat. You can make your diary private again so you can be completely honest with yourself without anyone else judging you. That and weighing and measuring everything you eat. Honestly, you didn't get to be your size by eating 1600 calories a day or even 2000 calories a day. There is no need to starve yourself by lowering to 1200 calories a day. Take it nice and slow and change WHAT you're eating first.

Does your fitness facility have free weights? Maybe you could do free weights instead of that never ending walk to nowhere?! Lifting weights helps keep muscle mass and burns fat so that when you do start shedding fat, it might help tighten the loose skin in the process.

Good luck! I hope you can find a plan and a path that is sustainable and works for you!
  • diamondcricket
    diamondcricket Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and I didn't see any vegetables? Everyone's advice is good advice, try to make some of your own food and cut the fast food. It's good that you cut the soda.

I had (still have sometimes) a hard time with the fast food, so when I get in my car, I put my purse in my trunk that way I'm not tempted to just "swing by" a fast food place. You could try doing that with your wallet.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Try to eat the 2400 that's recommended but it should be HEALTHY foods like fish and lean meats, grains, healthy fats etc.

My husband was in the same boat where he was barely netting 1600 on some days and was gaining weight. Once he started MFP and eating 2000 the weight started to drop.

He was lost as well when he couldn't figure out how to fill up those calories. I advised him the same foods I mentioned above as well as peanut butter, nuts, beans and lots of veggies. After about a week his metabolism got used to eating that much food because once his body realized he was getting regular feedings it started to let go.

So yes, eat more, eat clean, plan your meals ahead of time and the weight should start to come off.

Best of luck!

Here's a sample of what he eats for breakfast.... cinnamon oatmeal with a whole banana and peanut butter. that's about 400 cals right there. (**Eventually, I'm going to trying to wean him off the sugary instant oatmeal...but for now progress is progress!)

For dinner we may eat a large mahi mahi steak (about 8oz) with grilled asparagus and a large baked potato.
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

3. Reduce your sodium.

I totally agree with this.... [I noted that there doesn't seem to be much fruit or veggies of any kind in your diet at all]
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Agree with all about the quality of your food choices...

But beyond that is there a reason that your carbs are so high and your protein so low? I'm 5'4" 135lbs and I eat a minimum of 120g protein/day. I understand that I have different goals than yourself, but if you're trying to lose a large amount of weight, I would suggest more proteins to help with muscle retention (not to mention they're yummyyy!)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Try to eat the 2400 that's recommended but it should be HEALTHY foods like fish and lean meats, grains, healthy fats etc.

My husband was in the same boat where he was barely netting 1600 on some days and was gaining weight. Once he started MFP and eating 2000 the weight started to drop.

He was lost as well when he couldn't figure out how to fill up those calories. I advised him the same foods I mentioned above as well as peanut butter, nuts, beans and lots of veggies. After about a week his metabolism got used to eating that much food because once his body realized he was getting regular feedings it started to let go.

So yes, eat more, eat clean, plan your meals ahead of time and the weight should start to come off.

Best of luck!

Here's a sample of what he eats for breakfast.... cinnamon oatmeal with a whole banana and peanut butter. that's about 400 cals right there. (**Eventually, I'm going to trying to wean him off the sugary instant oatmeal...but for now progress is progress!)

For dinner we may eat a large mahi mahi steak (about 8oz) with grilled asparagus and a large baked potato.

Suggestion for your husband about the oatmeal- I eat mine with cinnamon & no sugar added applesauce. Tastes like the packet type of apple cinnamon, but wayyyyyyy less sugar. It's also really good if you get the little cups of the flavored apple sauces (my favorite is Mott's no sugar added Summer Strawberry) and mix in to plain oatmeal. Yummo!
  • MissIlochi
    MissIlochi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your losing your motivation. I know it can be very difficult at times. I did look at your diary and I'm no nutritionist but it seems as though you are often under your calorie goal but it's not with the right kind of calories. I would certainly cut back on the fast food. These foods are likely processed and they do nothing good for your body or the goal you have in mind. Try and start your day with a whole grain food (oatmeal for example) and you can add fruit to that. Eggs and bacon with white bread is not the kind of breakfast you want to have often. The cholesterol and fat can be very high.

Also, I notice some days you aren't eating breakfast. Are you a breakfast skipper? I know its cliche to hear that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day but that is very true. You have to jump start your metabolism and how you start your day often determines how you will finish your day. Try and make it a habit to eat breakfast and make sure you are drinking a lot of water. Orange juice is good but has a lot of sugar in it.

Good Luck!
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

Suggestion for your husband about the oatmeal- I eat mine with cinnamon & no sugar added applesauce. Tastes like the packet type of apple cinnamon, but wayyyyyyy less sugar. It's also really good if you get the little cups of the flavored apple sauces (my favorite is Mott's no sugar added Summer Strawberry) and mix in to plain oatmeal. Yummo!

Thanks! That's good to know! He loves motts apples sauce I will definitely be trying this. :bigsmile:
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Check out this success story for a little motivation maybe? Proves it absolutely can be done!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017387-2-yrs-of-mfp-130-lost-9-months-maintaining-with-pics
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

3. Reduce your sodium.

\

^^ this is good advice.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Stop eating so much fast food. I know you might be within your calorie goals, but if you want to start losing weight again, cut it out completely for a week and I bet those #'s will drop! If you can't get up to your calories without eating it, try some nuts, peanut butter, cheese. I wouldn't worry too much about cutting calories too low. I would make it a goal to get to 2000 each day. You will lose then. Slowly, but you will lose.

I am not saying never have Pizza or McDonalds again, maybe just not when you are stuck in your weight loss.
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time trusting nutrition from fast food restaurants, or really anywhere food is prepared for me. It all depends on preparation - if the food they tested calories at had exactly one tbsp of mayo, but the 16 year old kid in the kitchen is slathering on a bucket load, the actual calories you're eating are going to be very different from what is published on their public website.

Just a thought to consider.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a note of your measurements? Chest, waist, hip, arms, thighs etc? And used an online calculator and tape measure to figure out your body fat %?

I find that they are better markers of change and a often a good back up for when the scales aren't shifting.