5k on Satuday!!

Options
Hey there!

I'm signed up to do a 5k on Saturday, and I'm wondering if you guys have any advice about... well, anything at all, really! I've been involved in plenty of 5ks before, but this would be the first one I would run completely. I recently finished the c25k program and LOVED it, so I'm pretty confident that I can run the whole time, but I'm also really nervous! I've managed to complete the whole 3.1 miles running every time I've tried except for once, but my brain won't stop worrying that somehow I'l magically forget how to run on Saturday. So far my fastest 5k time on my own has been 27:00 minutes... I know that's not amazing or anything, but to me it was, so I'm also nervous that I'll end up with a much longer time and be pissed at myself.

So... does anyone have any advice on what I should eat the night before / morning of the race? Should I continue my weight training tomorrow or give myself a complete rest day? Am I crazy for being this nervous / exited about a race? :)

Thank you so much in advance!!

Replies

• Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    You'll do great!! You've got this!!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a rest day the day before. Walking would be fine. Eat your normal diet but eat lightly in the few hours before. Watch the sugar and eat complex carbs so you aren't running on a sugar high. The big thing is watch your pace during the race. It's easy to go out too fast keeping with the pack and run out of steam part way through. I am a 33 minute
    5k runner and have had this problem since so many people are faster than me.

You will do great! You sound prepared already.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I never eat anything special the night before, it's a 5k. The morning of I just eat a regular meal but smaller portion.

With your time I'd get in the middle of the pack, and adjust from there. If you have to walk move to the right.

Most importantly, have fun! :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you can do a 5k on a training run in 27:00. . .you're going to do fine on Saturday. Personally, I avoid heavy meals the night before a race. And, I prefer to run nearly empty so for morning races I'll have a slice of whole grain bread with a smear of peanut butter about an hour and a half out. I just hate running with food sloshing around.

Otherwise, go out and have fun. And, avoid going out at the start of the race too fast. Try to refrain from breaking land speed records in the first mile!! Save some juice for the whole race.

Have fun.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    From my experience, The atmosphere on race day will boost your up before you start and you will end up beating your PB! Make sure you warm up properly tho before the race!! Good luck x
  • butreally12
    butreally12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Try to refrain from breaking land speed records in the first mile!! Save some juice for the whole race.

Have fun.

Haha! I am worried about that! Everyone is so excited at the beginning that it is really hard not to start sprinting it out! Thanks for all of the encouragement guys :)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You are over thinking which is causing you to worry and be anxious. Just treat it like any other day out and about and enjoy every step you take while jogging.
    Running events are so much fun ... enjoy being surrounded by those around you who are all there for the same thing. it's truly inspiring!
    good luck!