Not sure what to do?! Is this alright?

Options
Hello, i am 19 years old, 5'6-5'7, and weight 140 lb.

So i have my calorie intake to 1200 calories a day. I am doing Herballife (meal replacement shake) started about a week ago.

I work as a waitress at a mexican restaurant. It can get pretty busy, and i have to carry large trays at times.

I also work out in the gym 5-7 days a week. i can burn from 300-900 calories, i usually dont go below 400.

So i am not sure if This is okay to set my goal to 1200 a day. I want to lose about 15-20lb. I have belly fat i want to seriously get rid of, as well as love handles. its nothing big, but i want to get rid of them now! hehe.

So what do you guys recomend? Is this okay?

Replies

• Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you set your calories at 1200 but are burning a minimum of 400 calories a day you need to actually consume a minimum of 1600 calories as long as you are exercising. A daily limit of 1200 is ok as long as you are not burning off those calories.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you set your calories at 1200 but are burning a minimum of 400 calories a day you need to actually consume a minimum of 1600 calories as long as you are exercising. A daily limit of 1200 is ok as long as you are not burning off those calories.

I agree. You could probably eat more that that. I'm shorter than you, 5'5 and 145lbs, and I eat between 1400-1600.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and typically consume around 1400 - 1500 calories per day while exercising and I'm still losing. So yes, eat back those calories that you burn and then setting your goal at 1200 is fine, as long as you NET 1200 calories at the end of the day.
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Especially if you're lifting at the gym - you'll want to make sure you're netting enough calories that your body isn't eating back that new muscle you're building :)
  • lisaij
    lisaij Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! i greatly appreciate them. Well that is what i have been doing but i cant seem to lose any weight. i lost around 5-7 lb but its been weeks and im still 138-140. I want to lose about 15lb, so im not sure what i am doing wrong. Why am i not losing weight?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal, the harder the weight is to lose. Combine that with the fact that technically you're already really close to - if not within - the range of normal and healthy for your height, and you can see how this would become an issue. Rather than focusing on losing 15 pounds I'd try to shift your focus to lifting weight, reducing your body fat % and toning up. You'll still lose inches and achieve the goal I think you're actually looking for, even if your actual weight doesn't change very much.