increased water intake- dry skin, chapped lips, breakouts!

I have good skin. Have my whole life. I'll get an occasional stupid red facial visitor around once a month, but generally, nada. Since I've started significantly increasing my water intake (usually around 128 oz or more) in the past week, I have been breaking out like a teenager! Like, right now I have seven effing zits on my face! They're not huge and terrible but they're there and it's *irritating*.

On top of that, my skin is super dry (how does THAT happen with more water going in!) and I have chapped lips. I am a seriously unhappy camper.

I made the correlation between water intake and break out, not sure if really is what's causing the problem, but if it is, someone PLEASE tell me this is temporary/what I can do about it? I figured there are tons of nutrition savvy folk here who might have a clue!

(Also: I'm taking a multi-vitamin, omega-3 three times a day, and eating lots of fish full of the stuff.)

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Have you been sweating a lot more recently?
  • I've been working out which I never used to do, so yes, definitely more sweating. I am drinking Smart Water and Power Aid Zero to replace electrolytes, tho, if that makes a diff.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Usually the sodium in your sweat will make you breakout and dry out your skin a lot.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    air conditioning and taking hot showers dry your skin too. I have to moisturize a lot to deal with my dry skin.

personally I think drinking smart water or any sports drink is a fad since I can replenish electrolytes by eating. im not an athlete so I don't think they would benefit me.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    I've heard that if you start suddenly drinking much more water than your body is used to then your liver starts to do certain liver detoxifying magical body stuff....sorry not a doctor! Anyway as it does it's stuff it can detox through the skin, which can cause breakouts. If that's the case then I've heard it's temporary as your body adjusts.

That may not be true haha but I do vaguely remember hearing something along those lines at some point...
  • Wash your face and moisturize before and after every workout. Good luck with the acne problem!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I made the correlation between water intake and break out, not sure if really is what's causing the problem, ...............

Spurious correlation in my estimation. It's likely from working out and sweating more.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Apply coconut oil EVERYWHERE after you shower :wink:
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    I notice on days I didn't takea shower right after I worked out I would have worse skin. Wash your skin right after working out, and see if it changes at all