Probably a silly question but..

Options
How do I start 'lifting'?

I have seen a lot on here the past week about making sure you work your muscles in order to prevent muscle loss while losing weight. A lot of people have spoken about 'lifting' as a means to retain muscle and have said cardio alone may just not cut it.

So... I am a 5'3 woman and just under 300lbs. I have never really lifted before and have absolutely NO idea where I should begin. A few questions that I have are:

-what sort of exercises will work out my muscles appropriately, allowing me to lose mostly just fat?
-as I am quite a hefty gal will my own body weight suffice for now or will I still need to add weights to my exercise?
-is there a good way to start off gentle so I don't do myself an injury?
-what kind of time per session/days per week am I looking at? (I do not have the time for especially long workouts)
-Are there any small things I can do while I am doing other things like cooking etc to save time?
-How will I know if it is working or not and I am losing fat not muscle?

Sorry for the long list of questions! And as always thanks in advance for any replies :)

Replies

• lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Anyone?
  • lacquer_head
    lacquer_head Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371154751&sr=8-1&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting+for+women

I recently read The New Rules of Lifting. I'm a beginning lifter as well. This book had some great information in it. I can only assume this one does too =) Good luck!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest looking into Stronglifts 5x5.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will get some feedback but to start things off:
    1. Do you have a gym membership?
    2. If not is there a convenient one you could join?
    3. If a gym is available do they have trainers?
    4. If a gym is not available could you hire a personal trainer to come to your home? (or meet them at theirs?)
    5. Lacking a decent trainer do you know somebody who works out on a regular basis who might be able to coach you?

I think for someone in your position it would be wise to get started right which means some one-on-one time with a trainer or somebody who has some experience.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371154751&sr=8-1&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting+for+women

I recently read The New Rules of Lifting. I'm a beginning lifter as well. This book had some great information in it. I can only assume this one does too =) Good luck!

yes this! i'm not exactly a beginner but i'm definitely not confident in my lifting and these workouts are so awesome. i feel great and they're a lot of fun too.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting, I started with very light weights, because they were a challenge. After a few times, they weren't a challenge anymore, so I bumped up the weight. I think building muscle is a very important part of losing fat. But, you also want to feel strong.

You just want to be sure you aren't pushing youself too hard. That would risk an injury.

I did the New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I loved it. It was straightforward, non-complicated moves that worked the whole body. I recommend it.

It's common sense. Muscle pain from lifting is different from pain of injury. You should be able to tell if something doesn't feel right. Just start slow, but the main thing is, START!

Good luck to you! I think you will enjoy it.
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options

yes this! i'm not exactly a beginner but i'm definitely not confident in my lifting and these workouts are so awesome. i feel great and they're a lot of fun too.

I just started NROL4W yesterday and I really enjoyed the first exercise. I think the book is very well-written and provides a lot of information behind what each move does for your body and why you should do it.
  • HyacintheAlcuin
    Options

yeah this is a good book to read... i read it and it is EXTREMELY informative
    if you have a little extra cash to spend p90x or insanity (trust me its not as bad as it sounds) are pretty good workout programs for those like me who need the in your face instruction and follow thru. I started insanity at 234 lbs and even tho i had to modify ALL the jumping moves and damn near every exercise i still lost 30 lbs within that two month period. but yeah definately get new lifting rules for women itll explain ALOT
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the new rules of lifting for women. Packed with loads of info!!! Its a great starting point!
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would most definitely seek the advice of a professional trainer - either at your gym, or in your friends circle. Improper posture and technique could be the cause of a number of injuries, and although I believe lifting to be very beneficial to your goals, I would have someone kind of hold your hand over the first few weeks. You'll learn so much about what exercises are right for you, how much weight, how many reps, how many times per week etc.

Good luck, and congrats on starting something great for yourself!
  • ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    just do eeet!
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Will definitely check that book out! Unfortunately no money for a personal trainer so will have to make do with other resources.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am starting New rules on Monday. I am meeting with a coach at the gym this Saturday and going to get him to take me through any of the moves I need technical help with for stage 1 workouts A&B. The from Monday I am going to be doing it.

I was going to start 7 wks ago but I bottled it. I am now in a much more confident place in myself and just want to get going and I am really looking forward to getting going, my only regret is not being brave 7 wks ago as I would be starting stage 2 this weekend instead.

Get the book, have a read and take it from there.

Good Luck
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    I would also suggest looking into Stronglifts 5x5.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Yes.

Also look into Starting Strength. It's very similar to Stronglifts 5x5 but it uses a 3x5 system instead and some exercises are different. By the way, the 5x5 and 3x5 are setsxreps.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    another vote for reading new rules of lifting for women - maybe even do phase one whilst you read up on other programs. by the end, you'll have an idea of what you want and could be doing. or just continue with phase 2.

if weights intimidate you, look at a book called 'you are your own gym' - it's a great resource for body weight exercises.
  • MistyEE
    MistyEE Posts: 67
    Options
    WOW - perfect timing - i was just going to post the exact same question!
    Thanks everyone for the tips!