New to Insanity- Polar 4t hrm "In zone"

Options
too2taf
too2taf Posts: 11 Member
Hi

Started Insanity training about 2 weeks ago. I bought a Beurer hrm and tried it for one day. Didnt like it at all. Too complicated to set up, but what i got from it was that my upper heart rate should be 187bpm. i am 42 and weigh 187lbs, 5ft 10. I took it back and got a Polar 4T which i love because its simple to set up and use. However, i am finding that because of my age, height, weight, I am exercising over 50% of the time "out of zone" because this one has my zone pegged at 116-154bpm and i am hitting 160-170bpm. I am fairly fit and have always exercised. Do i continue to exercise as normal or try and keep my heart rate "In zone" which for me would be low to moderate effort?

Thanks.

Replies

• igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I also have a Polar HRM and also found that the recommended zone was waaayy too low for me.

You can adjust the zone manually - it's somewhere under the settings function. I raised the minimum to what I consider to be low to moderate effort and then moved the max up to my personal max. It takes a bit of trial and error and fiddling around - but I don't really worry too much about being "in zone" - ESPECIALLY while doing Insanity when I'm pretty much consistently have a really high BPM!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    My heart rate is usually between 183 and 193 during insanity, so I wouldn't be too worried. As long as you're not getting dizzy or getting any of the symptoms of heat stroke, that should be normal for that level of activity.
  • too2taf
    too2taf Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will just mute the alarm if i cant find a way of adjusting it.