Slightly negative comments

Options
Hi,

This is my first post here although I've been counting calories for a while (on and off). I've noticed people I know have got quite interested in what I've got for lunch etc (when I've been at work). Only to offer their opinion on my choices. Like I asked! Which are very rarely "what a great choice you've made" but more along the lines of "that's no good, you should try x and y and z, they are much better". Or those people that offer sweets and when you refuse, wave them in your face and then scoff them in front of you.

Whats that all about? You would think they don't want me to reach my goal.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Replies

• mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was at a gathering the other weekend at my grandmothers house. I hadn't had breakfast and I grabbed a pack of peanut butter crackers from the cabinet. My mom started bragging about the amount of weight a lost, and one of the women looked at me and said, "Wait, you've lost all that weight and you're eating that? That isn't good for you right?" Another time I had gotten an ice cream cone with my lunch and brought it back to my desk. A coworker said, "Oh, I wish I was like you and could eat whatever I want and still lose weight like you do." I just had to laugh.

I haven't turned in to a machine. I still eat the things I enjoy. I don't spend endless hours debating over diet plans. I have found what works for me and I'm seeing results.

Are these people jealous? I don't know. All that I do know is that I am going to take care of me, and not worry about all those crazy people.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what other people think or say. Let your shrinking waist do the talking for you.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Just do what works for you and ignore others, unless its like real beneficial information.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Those comments started becoming horrible triggers for my binge eating. ): It got to the point of a traditional disorder because I could not eat in front of people for fear of their comments.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why do you care so much what other people think or say? They eat there **** and I eat my ****. They offer me cake and I either accept or don't accept. It's really not a big deal in my estimation...but then again, I enjoy good livin' and it's not a chore for me. If it's a chore for you, you might want to re-evaluate whatever hard corps restrictions you're putting yourself on as well as calorie goal. Good livin' is about sustainability and long term well being, not about the minutia of one day or depriving yourself of everything wonderful in life (pssttt...you can have sweets on occasion and still lose weight and be a healthy and fit individual).
  • nixas
    nixas Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. All I can say is WOW at your losses, you've ALL done brilliantly!!!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Those comments started becoming horrible triggers for my binge eating. ): It got to the point of a traditional disorder because I could not eat in front of people for fear of their comments.

Today at lunch a lady at work looked at my food and said "I wish I could eat that." Was she saying I was fat and could eat whatever I wanted or was she saying that i was eating fattening food? I'm almost afraid to buy food at the store now. I just know the cashier is judging me when they ring my my items. I use the self checkout station as much as possible and I eat my food in my room where my wife can't see half the time. At work I try to sneak it back into my cubicle where no one knows what I have.

I was eating breakfast on the way to work but then I would be at a stoplight and the guy in the car beside me looked at me like he was judging my breakfast. He probably thought I was a fatty because I was eating in the car. That's what I was thinking.

I just hate being judged. It's giving me a nervous breakdown.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat something off of my usual diet plan my dad always questions it..it is so annoying. I usually respond to "Are you allowed to eat that?" with "Yes I'm ALLOWED to eat whatever I want, it's my body" The people saying these things have no idea what they are talking about. Just do your thing :smile:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what other people think or say. Let your shrinking waist do the talking for you.

This. Nothing trumps success.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I'd take the candy and show off my 4 pack at the same time. lol
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Today at lunch a lady at work looked at my food and said "I wish I could eat that." Was she saying I was fat and could eat whatever I wanted or was she saying that i was eating fattening food? I'm almost afraid to buy food at the store now. I just know the cashier is judging me when they ring my my items. I use the self checkout station as much as possible and I eat my food in my room where my wife can't see half the time. At work I try to sneak it back into my cubicle where no one knows what I have.

I was eating breakfast on the way to work but then I would be at a stoplight and the guy in the car beside me looked at me like he was judging my breakfast. He probably thought I was a fatty because I was eating in the car. That's what I was thinking.

I just hate being judged. It's giving me a nervous breakdown.

Totally. Even though I'M okay with my choices, I'll find myself sneaking it past my parents. I had a taste for a coke the other day and seriously felt the need to hide it from them when I brought it in. It is pretty silly when you think about it.
  • THE_DOCTORSWIFE
    THE_DOCTORSWIFE Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I work in a Medical Office and we are always getting treats from patients and pharmaceuticals reps. Everyone always asks if I want a bagel or cookie or whatever the treat is for the day and when I decline and say I'm dieting/fasting/not eating that ect. I get a funny look and a shoulder shrug.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

I still have problems like this in public, I don't always realize it but I cover my mouth when I eat in public or get extremely uncomfortable when someone looks at me while eating. So definitely don't let these comments become a shaming feeling for you, you don't want to end up with a mentality like mine :/

Anyways, it's not about them and not about what they are jealous of or not... it's about what you are doing for yourself and anyone who doesn't support your goals/path can stuff it :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Totally. Even though I'M okay with my choices, I'll find myself sneaking it past my parents. I had a taste for a coke the other day and seriously felt the need to hide it from them when I brought it in. It is pretty silly when you think about it.

It is silly. I know I make good choices but occasionally I'll have something like the coke you mentioned and these foods have a stigma associated with them. I know I used to judge people that ate these foods so perhaps that's why I feel guilty for eating them myself. I just need to get over it and know that I'm healthy most of the time.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was at a gathering the other weekend at my grandmothers house. I hadn't had breakfast and I grabbed a pack of peanut butter crackers from the cabinet. My mom started bragging about the amount of weight a lost, and one of the women looked at me and said, "Wait, you've lost all that weight and you're eating that? That isn't good for you right?" Another time I had gotten an ice cream cone with my lunch and brought it back to my desk. A coworker said, "Oh, I wish I was like you and could eat whatever I want and still lose weight like you do." I just had to laugh.

I haven't turned in to a machine. I still eat the things I enjoy. I don't spend endless hours debating over diet plans. I have found what works for me and I'm seeing results.

Are these people jealous? I don't know. All that I do know is that I am going to take care of me, and not worry about all those crazy people.

None of those comments you cited sounded negative or jealous. Frankly, lots of people just don't understand.

People are much more ignorant of the human body in general, let alone the science behind gaining and losing weight. With the extreme muddling that commercials, media, diet fads, and just overall consumerism of food and "diets," tons of people still aren't able to grasp the "calories in vs. calories out" principle.

They probably have a set image in their mind of "dieting" from years of promoted diets (cabbage soup, eating 500 calories a day, etc.), and so they express shock when that's challenged or seems different than what they thought.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Don't tell everyone you're dieting.
    If they offer you a cookie just say you're not in the mood & don't fancy it.

If you know dieting will create issues, why share it with the world?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question? People offer you advice when you eat bad food and that's a bad thing? OK.
  • Fit_Kenzie
    Fit_Kenzie Posts: 124
    Options
    There's always those *kitten* people, always have been, always will be. Deal with it. Or...punch them in the throat.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Set your food diary to private maybe?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Set your food diary to private maybe?

She's talking about her office mates. Not friends here in this site.